Portrait/Couples shoot tomorrow!

Okay great thanks for letting me know. I think what I've been confused about is some people gave critiques where they said my background should've been more blurred so i think that's the issue.

Generally, a nice, blurred, even background is ideal. Have a clear understanding of the concept of DoF; remember that a given aperture on a longer focal length will have less DoF than the same aperture on a shorter lens. For example, shooting with a DX/APS-C body and using f8 with your subject at 15', if you have 40mm lens your depth of field will be almost 16'! Conversely if you use 200mm your DoF will be only six inches!! You can have your cake and eat it to, at least if you understand how your gear works.

I know what I wanted to ask as well. Should I bring my external flash or use one at all for fill flash? It's rather cloudy out but also tons of blue sky, so I mean there is a good softbox thanks to the clouds but I'm wondering what's a good way to do with the fill flash. If I can use my camera's own flash or use the external I have.

If you can get the flash off the camera (remote triggers) then DEFINITELY - if you're limited to using it in the hot shoe, I would as well, but unless you're comfortable with flash exposure and balancing ambient/strobed light, I wouldn't bank on those being keeper shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back