Portrait Lens Based On What I have

bumpylemon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a d3100 and Ill be shooting alot of model head shots in the coming months. bases on the lenses I have I was looking at what else I can add to make my pictures sharper. i currently have Nikon 15-55mm VR, Nikon Micro-Nikkor Macro lens-85 mm-f/3.5 VR, Nikon 55-200mm VR. SB-600, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8d...i love the 1.8d i have but do not like the Manual focus. I was looking at the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime Nikkor Lens. I have around 700 i can spend....but i also will be doing a lot of night club promotion photography so i was hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. thanks a lot everyone! currently the room that the studio is in isnt very big so i cant rock a telephoto...but in the summer there will be beach shots and such.

Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime

"what else I can add to make my pictures sharper" Answered-
All that and I still suck! PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

my images are sharp...maybe that was a wrong wording....more clear? more professional? more detailed?

also was looking at the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens to replace the 50mm 1.8d,

Last edited:
You should be able to get what you need with what you have already. Not sure how a 85mm macro would be for portraits, but an 85mm prime works well. The 55-200 should be Ok as well.

Well besides Practice,
if you have checked out online, store or other sources for books/articles on improving your composition and technique you can post samples of your current similar work and let the masses be the judge. You have quit a few posts already and without looking I’m sure you have posted an image or two, what were the reviews

You should be able to get what you need with what you have already. Not sure how a 85mm macro would be for portraits, but an 85mm prime works well. The 55-200 should be Ok as well.

Well besides Practice,
if you have checked out online, store or other sources for books/articles on improving your composition and technique you can post samples of your current similar work and let the masses be the judge. You have quit a few posts already and without looking I’m sure you have posted an image or two, what were the reviews

im def better than i was. i just def do not like the manual focus of the 1.8. so that def has to be replaced. Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX or Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime? i do like getting the close ups of the face or an object while creating a nice DOF

Last edited:
the 85mm would be my pick, depends on how much room you have to work with in the studio. you said it isn't very big, not sure how big not very big is. use your current 55-200 at 85mm and see if you will have room to work and get what you want, distance, fill the frame things like that.

What about the 50 or the 35? I love what my current 50 does but I want auto focus.

so your saying no new lens? haah
No, your collection is more than adequate.

I would be looking at least one more flash, but likely two. Add to that, remote triggers. I went PCB CyberSynchs and they have never failed. Then you'll want stands, boom arms and counterweights. You'll dramatically affect the light with modifiers such as umbrella, softbox, snoot, grid, gels, etc.

Just my 2¢.

I have lights and remote flashes. I still want to replace the manual lens. So should I get the 35 or the 50mm auto?

If you’re comfortable/happy with the results of the 50mm and you can afford it with AF that should be the one you get. However--
In a studio setup a 50mm and 35mm may be a little too wide angle. remember with most portraits you want the subject to fill the frame. With a 85mm and even a 50mm lens you can get close (not to close) and fill the frame with a 35mm you would have to be right on top of the subject and then lens distortion would come in.
What lighting set up and back ground will you have, that can make a difference as well. you could go with a little slower lens with good lighting and just work the DOF with what you have.

I have the flashpoint 320. I use white and black muslins, and black photo paper.

If you have the three or four light set that should work. If you can set up and try your zoom at 85mm that will tell you if you will have the room to work all the creative juices then I would recommend the 85mm will help for outside shots as well.Nikon 85mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back