Portrait - need critique on PP!

andrew99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ajwalker.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you think of the photoshop work on this? Too much? Any tips/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated!

2654516458_bd99b822d1_b.jpg

Very definitely too much in my opinion. It give the impression of a flash set about two stops too high. It also appears rather artificial because the the rest of the image is so dark. Could you post the original for comparison?

No need to push the clarity slide so far right. You can see the halo where the sharpening pull the subject away from the background too much.

Maybe a little bump in brightness and some contrast would work.

It looks like HDR? I don't love it in many portraits because it can make the subject look greasy.

I also get the feeling that this is a HDR image.

I actually like the effect, but that's my personal preference.

Thanks for all the comments! I appreciate the negative ones, since it helps me improve. Also, I was working on this photo for so long, you kind of lose perspective after a while, although I still like the effect, I think it just needs to be refined a bit.

The Clarity setting was low in Camera Raw.. The effect was done manually in PS with dodging and burning, many times over, and it is not HDR. I was going for a cartoony, fake look. Sort of inspired by Andrzej Dragan.

For comparison, here is a screen shot of my Camera Raw settings. This is the image as it was when I imported it into Photoshop and started working on it. Sorry for the large image, I didn't shrink it so that you can see the controls clearly.

2656082221_b7ac986e66_o.jpg

Thanks again for the comments, keep them coming! :)

Compared to the original picture I think it looks alot better, however you should lighten up on the strength of your burning and dodging. Besides over-strengthening the tools i think you did a good job

hehe, he looks like James Bond in the first one you posted!

Thanks guys!

The original picture was not great .. more of a snapshot with the on-camera flash. This photo is from his wedding, so I would like to get something cool out of it and print it large for him. I'm also doing some more traditional photos, but he had a pro photographer, so I'm trying to go for something different here. I used a wide angle lens, and I like the perspective distortion, which I think works with the surreal over-processed look. Anyway, I'm still working on it, I'll post it again when I'm finished!

I actually like it. Its surreal and good in my opinion. the only thing that bothers me is that womans head in the background.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back