Portrait of my friend's daughter...

LKP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to get a business going doing children's portraiture. I'm going for a natural and relaxed look utilizing natural light for now. How am I doing so far? Anyone doing this kind of work? Any pointers for me? Your feedback is appreciated!

2314815956_b6a4c15d17_b.jpg

I am practicing for work in children's portraiture. I don't plan to do it for a living though, I would like to make a little money to support my hobby and also be able to offer my professional services for volunteering. I have a long way to go, I have only been shooting for a couple months. I figure after a year I can charge people...before that i don't believe I will be consistent enough. I am practicing on my friends kids also.

I think its a good start but I am not in love with this photo. she is looking off the screen...it makes the viewers eye lead off the page. Her head it chopped and the composition isn't that interesting. a pro though is that her eyes are nice and sharp which is a key to portraiture.

Hi there. I guess you could considering me someone who works in child portraits. I think you have a cute shot there. She definitely look relaxed and not posed. It's hard to offer advice on one photo because you will always have your own style. The one thing I will point out is the locations of the catch lights could be higher in the eyes...(think 2 o'clock). The eyes could also be a bit sharper...but it's just a personal preference thing.

Good luck with your business!

A lot of good things here, nice shot.

What really jumps out at me is all the dead space around here. Firstly, if this is a portrait, shoot in portrait orientation (not landscape). And don't be afraid to crop or get closer.

A lot of good things here, nice shot.

What really jumps out at me is all the dead space around here. Firstly, if this is a portrait, shoot in portrait orientation (not landscape). And don't be afraid to crop or get closer.

I see what you mean - Do you think this works better?

2315710244_e701abcc16_o.jpg

Very nice photo, I love the coloring of it. And of course a very cute little girl! The second crop is much better in my opinion. The only think I can see is maybe get the eyes a little sharper, perhaps more lighting could help too.

Good Luck with your business, that is what I hope to be doing one day!

Much better! I agree with Dab on the lighting and eyes. Maybe a reflector would have helped light the dark side of her face using the natural light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back