..:: Portrait of my sister ::..

Mersad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mersad-photography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a photo of my sister taken at our weekend-house in the mountains. I hope you will like it.
myspace15hv1.jpg

Heya Mersad, welcome to ThePhotoForum :D

You are lucky to have your sister posing for you!
I always think that natural greens (nicely blurred) form a lovely background for portraits.
And I am sure you went for a bit of a dark portrait here. Planned it to be this dark. Maybe to add a touch of "secret" to it?

However, I don't think it is ideal. The shadows on the right side (camera right - her left) are so dark that all detail is lost. Her eyes don't have catchlights and look like holes. Something white to your right would have helped brighten those shadows a little (a table cloth, bed sheet, white cardboard), while she could still be looking a bit mysterious.

Nice work all in all and I hope to seen see a lot more from you!

Thank you for your reply. The photo is brighter in the original raw file. You are right, i went for a darker look. Thank you for your tip for the shadows!

The be honest the photo was taken during our one-day visit to the mountains. I hadn't had anything planed for a photo shoot. We improvised a bit. There is a big wooden roof over her head in this shot which gives it a darker tone.

We made a lot of photos on that day, I'll post them soon. Thanks again for your criticism, i want to learn as much as i can.

Good comp, it needs to be lighter on the left side of the face and head, the focus is a tad off.

There is an area over her shoulder were the background is too light

You should try some soft side lighting and see how that works for you.

Nice portrait, nice crop, and a beautiful model. I a bit turned off by the harsh out of focus shrubbery in the background. Do you have another lens?:er:

I'm talking about the trees to her right. They looked blurred more from movement or heavy camera shake instead of merely out of focus. I'm thinking you would call this a harsh bokeh.

I like it!. The one single thing that is all importent here is the lack of catch light in her eyes. That above anything else will separate a nice portrait shot, from a snapshot... IMO

Now I know sometimes it can't be helped, but I have even photoshopped some catch light in the eyes when nothing else worked.

I like it!. The one single thing that is all importent here is the lack of catch light in her eyes....
...Now I know sometimes it can't be helped, but I have even photoshopped some catch light in the eyes when nothing else worked.

I will try better next time, or use the pp method. I'm glad you like it.

I agree that her face did not get enough light. but the catchlights in her eyes are not a must. Often portraits have a more natural touch without catchlights.

Oh, and she seems to be beautiful by the way :D

Most reactions

Back