Portrait test - Better this time

Holly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Safe to say Im getting some where.. They are better then the dark, BUT not great.... ISO 100 f3.6 Shutter 1/30 *higher for me it got darker.. F with shutter BOTH higher didnt work right either.. Not sure? AND there is foil on the other side of him to help with reflective lighting.. Not sure you can actually see this...

Before Editing

jrtest1.jpg

After Editing

0439c893.jpg

ISO at 400 Im sure thats why its pixelated looking.. Which I dont like...

I think this is a prime case where your camera is limiting you. What time of day did you shoot? Was this the brightest that it got in the room? For children (and adults too) I never go below 1/60th. If I'm indoors I will use my fastest lens (50mm 1.8 ) to make sure I can't maintain that as a minimum speed.. It sounds like you understand how to adjust the settings to get the shot, but if at 400 ISO you're geting that much grain it's a camera issue. I think I remember you saying you wanted to practice shooting in manual. You might have better results outdoors, in a partially shaded area if you have one. You can use the manual settings but you'll have a lot more light so you can shoot at 100 ISO and keep your speed up to avoid the motion blur.

Thanks Alison! I think outdoors is how I have to shoot manual shots...
Its tough and I think I will have to find me a NICE lens that will fit my camera..

ALSO... can someone explain how a NEW lens will allow you better appeture etc... ??? I dont quit understand how the lens reflects what appeture you get..?

Hi holly, there is a really informative thread on this subject in portrait & wedding photog - "PORTRAIT APERTURE" - johnboy2978... Am just about to get the gear ready and muck around with what i just learnt xx:lmao:

Holly said:
Thanks Alison! I think outdoors is how I have to shoot manual shots...
Its tough and I think I will have to find me a NICE lens that will fit my camera..

ALSO... can someone explain how a NEW lens will allow you better appeture etc... ??? I dont quit understand how the lens reflects what appeture you get..?

Holly said:

Well, new is always nice, but SHORTER lenses are often brighter. If the lenses are of the same quality, the shorter lens is likey to have a larger maximum aperature. For example, a 200mm lens might have f5.6 as it's brightest aperature, while a 50mm might offer f1.8 allowing a much faster shutter speed.

I agree with Alison that when shooting children, venturing below 1/60 is risky.

Pete

tbh the iso on the panasinoic on my fz20 and your fz30 so it seems is crap i havent experienced worst...

Christie Photo said:
50mm might offer f1.8 allowing a much faster shutter speed.
Pete

Thanks!! THIS is the lens I am just wanting to get... BUT honestly afraid to get a new lens for this camera.. Going to take it to the camera Shop and see if they will let me test it Inside...

THANKS every one!! :)

I think your pic looses many important details and keeps unimportant.

I tried to give it some edit.

2006518221031853.jpg

Holly said:
Thanks!! THIS is the lens I am just wanting to get... BUT honestly afraid to get a new lens for this camera.. Going to take it to the camera Shop and see if they will let me test it Inside...

THANKS every one!! :)

Actually, I believe your camera does not allow for interchangable lenses (at least from what I've read). You can get filters and attachements, but not a new lens :(

Thanks Offraoding... IT still looks pretty Crummy!! LOL NO Offence though!! :)

Thanks Alison !! time to get the NEW camera.. ITs a NEED not a Want.. Ill be sure to let DH know that too (lol)

bigfatbadger said:
Although they've still got a way to go, your portraits are coming on loads!

Ditto - they're getting there and you're improving greatly. Compositionally good, subject entertained and pleasant expression.

The only thing wrong really is NOT ENOUGH LIGHT!! This, as has been mentioned, is related to the camera's lens, but light, light light all the way - think, live and breathe light.

Rob

You lost a lot of quality... Maybe overuse of the sharpen tool? Or maybe saved a jpeg too many times? Aside from that it's a nice portrait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back