Possible to recompose without messing up focus plane?

caseysrt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.caseysexton.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For example, let's say I'm in a huge open field with nothing but grass as far as the eye can see in front of me, except there is this one tree. I want to take a picture of the tree using the rule of thirds, so, I get the tree in the center of the frame, half press to lock focus at say f11, then recompose to bring the tree to the edge of the frame, but this would move the focus plane would it not?

How can you recompose your image without changing your focus plane?

You can't. The question is, will the difference be detectable...?

Edit
If you move the camera, you move the plane of focus. That's a fact. That doesn't mean it can't be done. In a lot of cases, you may never even know the difference.

In your example, I think it would be safe to recompose.

Do try to use the focus point closest to the subject, if possible though.

So what is the best method for achieving the rule of thirds?
Use the focus point that sits right on top of the subject, right where you want it to be. So that you don't have to recompose.

That isn't always possible though. When it's not possible, use the closest one.

Sometimes you have no choice but to recompose though. It's only in a few situations that it will really mess with you. Close focus, large aperture - you need to nail it. Long distance or small aperture, you have some 'wiggle room'.

caseysrt said:
So what is the best method for achieving the rule of thirds?

Like the above poster mentioned, you probably wouldn't notice a difference in your example. If you were shooting at a large aperture then yeah you would probably notice a difference.

Toggle your focal points. That's what I usually do instead of using the center focal point all the time.

Let's say you were shooting that tree with a focal length of 105mm, with the tree being about 100' away at f/11; you would have a total depth of field of about 204'. SO, moving your framing in this scenario, is acceptable.

When you decrease your subject distance and/or use a larger aperture, your room for error drastically decreases. For example with an 85mm lens at f/1.4 shooting a subject 7' away, all you have is 1.32" to work with.

You can actually recompose with minimal change of focus plane to a certain extend. Instead of moving the camera, you can shift your body (up/down/left/right). By doing so, you'll maintain the same focus distance. It's kind of ridiculous and impractical though. :D

Set the lens to manual focus and focus until you get focus comfirmation then recompose and take the shot...

Set the lens to manual focus and focus until you get focus comfirmation then recompose and take the shot...

That would still shift the plane of focus after the focus had been achieved.

In this case, there are a few options:
1) set your focus to the hyperfocal distance and it won't matter
2) use a focus point over your intended subject
3) manual focus after the composition has been achieved
4) use a tripod, use live view, zoom in to your intended subject(in live view, not with your lens), and then you can adjust critical focus for scenes where you are shooting with a shallow dof

Yes.. there is only one focus plane BUT at reasonable apertures, focal lengths, etc.. the depth of field is large enough that it really doesn't matter.

If you want to get some of the details of just how small (or large) the focus plane shifts, you can read here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...hallenges/262742-focus-recompose-problem.html

In my case, I was shooting with a 50mm @ f/1 and I do notice the shift depending on subject distance... small enough that I can simply lean back a little to compensate.

As mentioned, the DoF would be so deep as to make the changing position of the plane of focus from recomposing a non-issue that could be ignored.

But also mentioned was the fact that recomposing likely wouldn't be necesssary either, or at least very minimal. Compose in the viewfinder as you want the final photo, and use a focus point that is on the tree in lieu of recomposing.

I'm not sure what camera you have, but you could maybe try focus lock...

From the Nikon website:
"Focus Lock

Focus lock is used to change the composition without changing focus. If you frame the shot so that the main subject is in the selected focus point, focus, and then change the composition while keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway to lock focus, you can create compositions in which the main subject is not in a focus point but is nevertheless in focus."

For example, let's say I'm in a huge open field with nothing but grass as far as the eye can see in front of me, except there is this one tree. I want to take a picture of the tree using the rule of thirds, so, I get the tree in the center of the frame, half press to lock focus at say f11, then recompose to bring the tree to the edge of the frame, but this would move the focus plane would it not?

Yes, you can:
If you set auto focus mode at AF-S instead of AF-C or AF-A (in nikon cameras), and have AF lock (+ AE lock, if you want to!) enable in the Menu. With that setting, once you haft press to lock focus and then recompose to bring the tree to the edge of the frame; the focus plane will not change untill you release shutter released button later. This is the way I use to take pictures with Nikon camera D70 which has 5 focus points only. With my Nikon camera D300 that has 51 focus points, I rather to use off-center focus point wrapping for faster as others mentioned.

Tu.

jmtonkin said:
I'm not sure what camera you have, but you could maybe try focus lock...

From the Nikon website:
"Focus Lock

Focus lock is used to change the composition without changing focus. If you frame the shot so that the main subject is in the selected focus point, focus, and then change the composition while keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway to lock focus, you can create compositions in which the main subject is not in a focus point but is nevertheless in focus."

Isn't that the same thing as focus and recomposing?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back