Possible to recompose without messing up focus plane?

AperturePriority said:
I've been shooting for most of my life...<<<<Quote from usayit>>>> Because of shooting for most of your life means you are right in your conclusion "recompose suck!"?

If I read correctly he never said recompose sucks.

Yeah, I haven't read that either.. unless I missed a post.

I think the sentence in blue bold is what you did in your "research" at post # 38?

I've been shooting for most of my life... I never considered it a big deal until I started to shoot a "corner case" situation.... again... 50mm f/1 at close approximate ranges. I noticed that I was missing focused and decided to figure out how big of margin I was dealing with. So in my case, it was a real problem. BUT (please read) I've said many times in this thread... that in most cases it DOESN'T REALLY MATTER.... and most here (including most online blogs/articles) are making big deal out of nothing. Read... understand the intent... it takes both.
I've been shooting for most of my life...<<<<Quote from usayit>>>> Because of shooting for most of your life means you are right in your conclusion "recompose suck!"?
Have you even been reading this thread? I was the one that posted the 'focus-recompose sucks' article, and usayit 'called me out' on it. You are attacking the wrong person, lol.

O|||||||O said:
Have you even been reading this thread? I was the one that posted the 'focus-recompose sucks' article, and usayit 'called me out' on it. You are attacking the wrong person, lol.

I think it's called "selective reading".

Its not flat.... but I think we are again... splitting hairs over something not really that big of a deal in real practical sense.
Because the focal plane isn't flat as you stated, now you can clearly say that recompose doesn't suck at all!

Why do you think the focal plane isn't flat?
Still don't understand?
When you wide-opened a normal or a wide-angle lens, the center of image is sharp but the corners are not. It's telling you that the center is in-focus, but the corners are OOF. In other words, center point and the corners are not on the same plane of focus. That happens because the focal plane isn't flat but a REAL SPHERE EQUIDISTANT FROM THE SENSOR. Get it?

Understanding that, you will know why focus-recomposing isn't messing up the focal plane at all!

Because the focal plane isn't flat as you stated, now you can clearly say that recompose doesn't suck at all!

Still don't understand?
When you wide-opened a normal or a wide-angle lens, the center of image is sharp but the corners are not. It's telling you that the center is in-focus, but the corners are OOF. In other words, center point and the corners are not on the same plane of focus. That happens because the focal plane isn't flat but a REAL SPHERE EQUIDISTANT FROM THE SENSOR. Get it?

By your reasoning, you should be able to focus in the center and rotate the camera to recompose, with any lens, y'know, since the plane is not a plane, but a sphere, and the subject will stay focused along the walls of this sphere... but in reality that doesn't happen, because the focal plane is a plane, meaning flat.

Assuming the same distance, the corners on a wide angle shot would be 'behind' the corners on a normal or tele shot. That is why the corners aren't as sharp as the center. The corners are not on the same plane that the focus point is on.

There is really only one distance in which the corners would lie directly on the plane of sharpest focus, and that would vary from lens to lens. In all focus distances expect for that one, the plane of focus will never intersect the corners of the frame.

Still don't understand?

By your reasoning, you should be able to focus in the center and rotate the camera to recompose, with any lens, y'know, since the plane is not a plane, but a sphere, and the subject will stay focused along the walls of this sphere... but in reality that doesn't happen, because the focal plane is a plane, meaning flat.
In reality, the focal plane is a name only. It doesn't mean you call it a plane, then it has to be flat.

Assuming the same distance, the corners on a wide angle shot would be 'behind' the corners on a normal or tele shot. That is why the corners aren't as sharp as the center. The corners are not on the same plane that the focus point is on.

There is really only one distance in which the corners would lie directly on the plane of sharpest focus, and that would vary from lens to lens. In all focus distances expect for that one, the plane of focus will never intersect the corners of the frame.
This is why I said, in cases of the LONG focal tele lenses, focal plane is CONSIDERED as flat since the lenses have narrow FoV. But for short lenses which have wider FoV, focal plane cannot be considered as flat.
Understanding that, one now can know why focus-recompose isn't messing up the focal plane. And it doesn't suck at all!

No matter the FoV, the plane of focus is still flat. Wider lenses just include less of that plane in the frame. I never said that focus-recompose did anything to the focal plane other than move it from it's original position.

AperturePriority said:
This is why I said, in cases of the LONG focal tele lenses, focal plane is CONSIDERED as flat since the lenses have narrow FoV. But for short lenses which have wider FoV, focal plane cannot be considered as flat.
Understanding that, one now can know why focus-recompose isn't messing up the focal plane. And it doesn't suck at all!

At 5 feet away with a 50mm lens - shooting at f/1.4 - I can focus an recompose and it won't change anything?

Dude...I think you're getting focal plane and dof mixed up..or you're letting dof mess with your understanding of focal plane..our something...

Bye. We'll miss you. Please let us know how it is "out there".

Most reactions

Back