What's new

Pretty Much Told I Am Horrible At Photography, That's Real Encouraging

mrs.hankIII

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Apr 15, 2014
Messages
142
Reaction score
39
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
An idea popped into my head. People sell horses, and you need good conformation shots to really get people interested. Just looking at the horses head, or just his front end isn't good enough. Need to see how he's put together. So this idea popped into my head that since I have a DSLR and a little more knowledge than your average point and shoot horse seller, that I would practice and maybe be able to do them for people. Asked people on a horse forum what they would pay for that and pretty much got told I'm horrible and no one would pay for it. Well, that's encouraging.

I'm a beginner. I'm more critical of my "work" than anyone else could ever be. I sold out of horses to buy this camera, switched one hobby to the other. I'm not out there to make money, I'm not even a "photographer" if you want to put it that way. I'm a chick who knows horses, who is learning how to use a camera. And to get told that? Maybe I'm a wuss. Whatever. But it is incredibly discouraging. I've improved leaps and bounds since I bought my Canon in February. And I still have a LONG ways to go. I already know that.

These are NOT conformation shots, nor anything I would ask anyone to pay for. But they were some of my first horse shots, and aside from a little composition issue (trees through them) and the exposure being off, not horrible. Or are they? Coming from other photography people, it would hurt a lot less than snippy horse people.

Are they actually "horrible" given the fact I'm a beginner? I really feel like giving up. I've been doing nothing but reading, research, then putting it to use and to be told that it's pretty much pointless, just bothers me. I'm not even doing this for other people, it's just a side hobby for me. I could name so many things I could have done differently in each of these. I know they're not awe inspiring, or amazing. But really, horrible?

10300318_10152159900206829_2793153296637927998_n.jpg


10295794_10151959372166829_750272688062513060_n.jpg


This was the one labeled as "bad"

10409738_10152021653996829_2388962926553904601_n.jpg


10359239_10152021653181829_654568978315230370_n.jpg


Maybe I just need encouragement. I don't know. Just bummed. Thanks for reading it. Normally I'm not this depressive.
 
Not horrible at all. Each could be made better, but I would certainly have been proud of these when I was starting.

But it is good to be beaten up a little, makes you look for ways to grow. Keep at it.
 
Well, you admit you are just beginning this hobby, why do you think you should be excellent? Or even "good"?
We were ALL horrible when we first started. Keep reading, studying and learning! In 5 years, if you really put the effort into this, you will laugh at your early stuff!!!

I think you have to do it for YOU for now. You will get better! It will take work, and practice, and study.
You should not be discouraged and give up. You are JUST starting!
 
I guess no one, other than other photographers, realize that Rome wasn't built in a day? I would like to hand that camera to one of the nay sayers that has never held a DSLR and ask them to do better. Rude awakening when I bought the camera and realized there's a lot more to it than I thought, and I've been pretty happy with my progress up until this point.
 
I keep thinking, at least I'm not one of those "Fauxtographers" who goes out there, takes horribly composed photos with terrible lighting and exposure, and charges people for them. A lot of those in my area. I NEVER want to be labeled as one of those, which is why I hide A LOT of my shots. I would NEVER charge someone for a shot I take UNLESS I knew they were actually nice shots. Right now? Nope. They aren't. I'm a CNC Machinist, not a photographer. Just had a thought that maybe if I were better, I could help horse people out.
 
Getting detail in the shadowed side of a backlighted black horse is something that requires skill and photographic technique. The first horse shot is not "good photography", and the second shot is only marginally better. I don't want to crush your dreams, but there is a difference between a new shooter with her first camera, and an experienced professional-level shooter who understands the quality and direction of light issues that are discussed here so often by a few members.

So...somebody on a forum told you you are not that good. Well...you are not that good--right now. But you WILL get better if you work at it diligently. As Bitter mentioned , you are JUST starting into photography. There's plenty to work on, plenty to learn, and honestly, there are not enough hours in the days this year to have allowed you to have become "good". As he asked, why do you expect to be excellent or even good at this stage? DEAL WITH IT. Face it head-on, and accept that you have a ways to go.

Do you have the right software to process tricky images like this backlighted, dark-toned horse? Do you know what tricks would help processing this type of shot? Why do you suppose photos made by some people make viewers go, "Wow!" and why pics from others make people go , "click...next,click..next?" How good a horse rider were you after six months in the game? You need a good dose of realistic, dispassionate thinking here, regarding your abilities. It's not buying a good camera that makes a person a real photographer. And you said you are NOT a photographer, but are a horse enthusiast. So...why be so depressive about this? Your post doesn't make genuine logical sense. I think you really harbor illusions of ability but are unwilling to admit that it takes time and work to become "a photographer" whom people will actually buy images from.

And yes, people sell horses. My brother and his wife bought and sold and bred and rode paints for a decade. Photography was not that big a necessity. And if people DO have very high-value horses, don't you think they will look for an established, high-end, proven, specialist in equine photography? Like by asking for a referral, or SEEING a watermarked image from such a professional? Again, I want to be encouraging, but hey...six months in? NOBODY is "good" six months in. Nobody.
 
I'm sill horrible now. But I am trying to improve on each aspect as I go!

every so often I look at my flickr page and compare the shots I started with to where I am now and I think I can see improvements.


remember photography is subjective. Although with time, you'll develop a style you excel at and that others can appreciate
 
I keep thinking, at least I'm not one of those "Fauxtographers" who goes out there, takes horribly composed photos with terrible lighting and exposure, and charges people for them. A lot of those in my area. I NEVER want to be labeled as one of those, which is why I hide A LOT of my shots. I would NEVER charge someone for a shot I take UNLESS I knew they were actually nice shots. Right now? Nope. They aren't.......

Well, if I read your first post correctly, you were asking what people would be willing to pay for your images (or the generic service they represented); this puts you right into that category. Right now you're still in that phase of working to get a good exposure of an in focus subject. Nothing wrong with that at all, we've all been there. However, if you were to come to me and ask if I'd be willing to pay for images like those I'd say no. I could do the same with my phone. There is nothing about the composition or exposure on those images that stands out. If anything they look a bit flat. In the first one you have a horses head floating in from the side of the frame with no support. For reference, imagine a portrait of a person that was cut off at the bottom of the neck with no shoulders showing, yet still plenty of room above the head and on the side; it would look a wee bit awkward.

I'd have to agree with Bitter; in a few years you'll be hiding these images. ;)
 
I dunno, I'm old. I see a lot of younger people expect to be "awesome" immediately. In more than just photography. But photography I think has the highest rate of "I've had my camera for a year, I should start a business!"

I've been doing my chosen profession for 24 years now.
In the first three years working for other people, I kinda sucked.
Even up to 10 years in, I wasn't good enough to make it on my own.
24 years later, I am "one of the best" in my area.
I'm still not THE best...that will Take another 8-10 years. LOL

I got to where I am today because of all the experiences accrued working a minimum of 8 hours a day, 5days a week for 24 years!!!
How much time do you actually put into your hobby?
How much exposure do you have to others better than you?
Will you seek out mentoring, or just continue being self taught?
There are a lot of factors, raw talent aside, that will effect your progress.

Just keep going. You can only get better and better, but it will take time.

You shouldn't knock those people that didn't think you are good enough right now, or ask "if they can do better". They weren't asking you if they were good enough.
 
Getting detail in the shadowed side of a backlighted black horse is something that requires skill and photographic technique. The first horse shot is not "good photography", and the second shot is only marginally better. I don't want to crush your dreams, but there is a difference between a new shooter with her first camera, and an experienced professional-level shooter who understands the quality and direction of light issues that are discussed here so often by a few members.

So...somebody on a forum told you you are not that good. Well...you are not that good--right now. But you WILL get better if you work at it diligently. As Bitter mentioned , you are JUST starting into photography. There's plenty to work on, plenty to learn, and honestly, there are not enough hours in the days this year to have allowed you to have become "good". As he asked, why do you expect to be excellent or even good at this stage? DEAL WITH IT. Face it head-on, and accept that you have a ways to go.

Do you have the right software to process tricky images like this backlighted, dark-toned horse? Do you know what tricks would help processing this type of shot? Why do you suppose photos made by some people make viewers go, "Wow!" and why pics from others make people go , "click...next,click..next?" How good a horse rider were you after six months in the game? You need a good dose of realistic, dispassionate thinking here, regarding your abilities. It's not buying a good camera that makes a person a real photographer. And you said you are NOT a photographer, but are a horse enthusiast. So...why be so depressive about this? Your post doesn't make genuine logical sense. I think you really harbor illusions of ability but are unwilling to admit that it takes time and work to become "a photographer" whom people will actually buy images from.

And yes, people sell horses. My brother and his wife bought and sold and bred and rode paints for a decade. Photography was not that big a necessity. And if people DO have very high-value horses, don't you think they will look for an established, high-end, proven, specialist in equine photography? Like by asking for a referral, or SEEING a watermarked image from such a professional? Again, I want to be encouraging, but hey...six months in? NOBODY is "good" six months in. Nobody.

I'm NOT trying to be a photographer 6 months, and I've stated multiple times that I'm aware it takes a crap load of time and practice to even get anywhere near good enough (hence, Rome wasn't built in a day). That's not what I'm getting at. I KNOW I'm not good, but being told I'm HORRIBLE? And to give up? That's what's bothering me. I'm being a wuss, like I stated. I needed to vent, that is all. I never once stated that at 6 months in, I'm GOOD at this. I can point out so many things wrong with each and every shot. But being called horrible, no. That's what's depressing.

I posted the horse shots for critique. Didn't get much from it. I have lightroom, and lightzone. Learning how to use it still (because Rome wasn't built in a day) I do NOT know how to back light a black horse. Would love to learn how. He's extremely dark, not much is going on in that photo really. All that mattered at the time is my MIL was happy with it. So that made me happy to see her happy. I don't photograph those two horses very much, one because they're always playing and my action shots are NIL. Horrible. Can't even begin to get a decent shot. Heck, I just realized tonight that there should be a way to lock in exposure but I don't even know how. So back to learning even more on the most basic thing, most important thing, Exposure. I've been told black horses are the worst, color wise, to photograph. One of these days I hope to take a shot that is worthy of posting with them. But right now? It's not likely unless I really practice with them. Could pull them from pasture, set them up, and photograph them. But I need to stick with things that DON'T move until I get my crap figured out.

Thanks for the criticism. I really do appreciate it. I just don't want people thinking that I think I'm fantastic. I know I'm not. I know I'm not good either. But horrible? I don't believe that either. I've seen horrible. I have a lot to improve on, and aim to do so.

6 months into riding? Hahahha, that's funny. I didn't even know how to properly use my seat 6 months in. 20 years later? Not too shabby, if I can float my own boat for a minute. So like riding, I have a lot to learn.
 
I keep thinking, at least I'm not one of those "Fauxtographers" who goes out there, takes horribly composed photos with terrible lighting and exposure, and charges people for them. A lot of those in my area. I NEVER want to be labeled as one of those, which is why I hide A LOT of my shots. I would NEVER charge someone for a shot I take UNLESS I knew they were actually nice shots. Right now? Nope. They aren't.......

Well, if I read your first post correctly, you were asking what people would be willing to pay for your images (or the generic service they represented); this puts you right into that category. Right now you're still in that phase of working to get a good exposure of an in focus subject. Nothing wrong with that at all, we've all been there. However, if you were to come to me and ask if I'd be willing to pay for images like those I'd say no. I could do the same with my phone. There is nothing about the composition or exposure on those images that stands out. If anything they look a bit flat. In the first one you have a horses head floating in from the side of the frame with no support. For reference, imagine a portrait of a person that was cut off at the bottom of the neck with no shoulders showing, yet still plenty of room above the head and on the side; it would look a wee bit awkward.

I'd have to agree with Bitter; in a few years you'll be hiding these images. ;)

I wasn't asking what they would pay for THESE images or ANY images of mine. I was asking what they would pay for properly set up, properly taken conformation shots. Something I have yet to achieve. I'm talking a few years down the road, not next week. I'm not nearly good enough to do anything of the sort.
 
If you had been that much into horses you wouldn't have given them up for photography, my missus would get rid of me before her horse, people with horses won't spend much on photos they would rather buy a new pair of jodhpurs
 
Asking the end consumer what they would pay for something, is backwards thinking.
As a photographer, you are also a salesperson. That's another form of art. LOL

The photographer is also the business manager. You come up with your prices by working out your costs of doing business.
Add up all you expenses, such as rent, equipment, marketing, utilities, liability insurance, equipment insurance, health insurance, your wages, travel expenses, profit....then you can divide by either how many shoots you want to do per given time period, or you can divide by the target price of a shoot, and see how many shoots you need to do to make enough money to cover your CoDB.

So it's not really helpful to know that someone would pay $59 for a horse portrait, with out knowing the rest of the equation.
 
And they probably won't pay $59
 
people with horses won't spend much on photos they would rather buy a new pair of jodhpurs

Thus its the job of the photographer to convince them that a fantastic photo of their horse is worth more than a pair of jodhuputag....... that's a stupid word (although I will at least give it some value as they do actually use the h rather than having it silent but -- still stupid word...).



Anyway enough of that and more photography.

1) You're totally normal


2) https://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmacek/
One equine photographer (of many). Have a look at his work, get an idea of how he's composing and using the horses body. Then go look at other photographers doing the same. Just like someone doing portraits of people has to study the composition and presentation of people, you must do the same for horses. This will give you ideas and inspiration as to how to frame the horse - how to picture their body for maximum display and, with such a large and often not totally controlled subject, where and how to compose them in relation to their background for a pleasing effect.

3) You're wrapped up a touch in the drama and not as much the photos in this thread - start a fresh one and have a look at the link in my signature about getting critique. Then put up a couple of photos of horses that you've taken - go through the process of listing your method equipment, ideas etc.... The self critique will help you a lot more than you think, it helps form structure to your "this is rubbish" thoughts - plus sometimes it helps you go "you know actually considering the situation this isn't half bad - not perfect, but didn't mess up half as bad as I thought I did)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom