What's new

Pretty Much Told I Am Horrible At Photography, That's Real Encouraging

Let's get the simple stuff out of the way first, because despite a lot of matter-of-fact members posting in this thread, none of them have come right out and said it:

Your main issue is that some people on an internet forum said you were horrible, and should give up. In case you haven't figured it out yet, internet forums are breeding grounds for keyboard warriors, trolls, asshats, and dregs of society. Some people are mean just for the sake of being mean because in this format, they know they can't get punched in the face for saying the things they say. That's just a fact. If you wear your heart on your sleeve, these people are going to foam at the mouth and stick it to you. Keep one thing in mind when posting on internet forums in the future: this is a lot like junior high school.

Second, you've acknowledged that you have a long way to go. And you do. Keep at it.
 
Having seen the original thread and read the replies, I think you're taking the comments way too seriously and over-reacting. Nobody said your pictures sucked, or that you should quit. The ones that did comment on the pictures you posted said they wouldn't pay anything for them (understandable, you said yourself they were some of your first shots), and that you probably shouldn't use them to advertise your services if/when you start charging.

Most of the people who commented on the pictures were photographers/artists, too. So not completely ignorant, as you're making them seem...
 
Oooh, the plot thickens! :)
 
I do not buy the idea of spending years and years before you start producing decent shots. 6 months as a hobby is a lot. But that is only if you think a lot about what you are doing.

What surprises me most about these horses shots is that it comes from an allegedly experienced horse lover. To me it looks like a snapshot of a big city dweller who went to the countryside and - wow - saw a horse!

I would say that shooting things that you know and love is the best way to develop your photography. If you know and love horses, it is a huge advantage.

You need to think about what do you love about horses and then - how to translate this love into an image. Just start a project "What I love about horses". And do not give up until people will look at your images and see what you mean.

Photography is about feelings, technique is just the means to convey these feelings. If you know what you need from the photo you will learn the needed technique in no time. Learning it just for the sake of it is boring like hell. Because if there is nothing to convey, it does not matter if your subject is backlit or frontlit, whether your horse is black or white. Think about it.
 
TBH, the first two pictures are the ugliest horses I have ever seen........

Totally not needed. There's critiquing, and then there's just being mean. No need for it, unless you need to make yourself feel better.

Mrs Hank, a lesson I learned early on, never post images unless they "really" thrill you. I might post 1 out of 100, because I know that it's the best one, and it will get pretty well bashed, but not totally trashed like my lesser ones would be! LOL

I'm like you, I'm early on in the learning stage. I sometimes even take it to bed with me and play with it!! hee hee...........

Keep shooting, keep reading, and enjoy the "community" of this forum. It's taken me a little over a year to even think I "might" want to post an image. Yes, I'm a slow learner indeed. But most here mean well........... I love it here!

Have fun and don't let ANYONE take that fun away.

Mike
 
TBH, the first two pictures are the ugliest horses I have ever seen........

Totally not needed. There's critiquing, and then there's just being mean. No need for it, unless you need to make yourself feel better.

Mrs Hank, a lesson I learned early on, never post images unless they "really" thrill you. I might post 1 out of 100, because I know that it's the best one, and it will get pretty well bashed, but not totally trashed like my lesser ones would be! LOL

I'm like you, I'm early on in the learning stage. I sometimes even take it to bed with me and play with it!! hee hee...........

Keep shooting, keep reading, and enjoy the "community" of this forum. It's taken me a little over a year to even think I "might" want to post an image. Yes, I'm a slow learner indeed. But most here mean well........... I love it here!

Have fun and don't let ANYONE take that fun away.

Mike

Err…Lew's remark about the ugly horses was a JOKE. Because the first two photos the OP posted are of a rusty old boat and a rusty old truck. Not horses…he was just being humorous, not mean.
 
I think you should know the work of the best horse shooters if you wish to advance in this field. One of my neighbors in the Hamptons art show circuit was Carol Walker and she specialized in horse photographs. Her work is excellent, well presented and she did well. What I learned was that horse peeps are passionate about horses in general and their own animals in particular. Carol also commissioned horse portraits as well, often right there at the show. Horse Photography by Equine Photographer Carol Walker | Living Images

In my mind, the top of the mountain in equine photography is Tony Stromberg. Tony Stromberg | Fine Art Equine Photography
Both host horse photography workshops.
 
Study & PRACTICE! For lighting I highly recommend Syl Arena's book Lighting for Digital Photography (you can even find it used on Amazon). The Scott Kelby series of books called Digital Photography are hard to beat for the beginner (and a few others). They are not heavy theory, each page is a lesson of its own, they put you in a set-up and explain what to use, and what settings. They also are available used for cheap. Good luck and hang with it. Your pics as others said are not bad.
 
"I don't want to be a photographer" sounds familiar. I said that... now here I am :lol:.

Teeeeeeeechnically, you are. if you take a photo, you're a photographer. Good, bad, average, mediocre, all photographers. If you want to be a GOOD photographer, you'll need to study and practice. You'll get there-I've seen FAR worse than you've posted from people who have "lots of experience" as "professionals."
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom