Prevent noise in images

Haleighbeth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
23229394-FECE-47B6-A901-3D02007A8440.jpg
I know there's a list of reasons their may be a high amount of noise in your images.. but I'm looking for any advice I can get on this... even if it has to do with the format I export my images.. I shot an entire session this past weekend in raw, edited, and saved as a jpeg(I edit in lightroom and the new update won't let you adjust quality, sizing, etc.) it literally gives you the option to save as jpeg, or "original+settings" then you can adjust the size to small, full size, or custom.

I uploaded the photos and realized when I zoom in there is a lottt of noise. I am just starting out, so I am having to work with a Canon Rebel T1i with the kit lens(18-55 mm) could I help reduce noise by investing in another lens maybe? I thought about getting a 50 mm lens soon in hopes that it would help the quality of my photos since I can't afford the $2,999 full frame canon I really want

(Above is an example of one of my images)

I cant imagine them changing the way you export -- but something obviously got changed where you're exporting at a very low quality and getting major jpeg compression/artifacts.

this is 100% a LR issue right now, not the camera.

I cant imagine them changing the way you export -- but something obviously got changed where you're exporting at a very low quality and getting major jpeg compression/artifacts.

Okay thank you! That's what I wanted to know.

Okay thank you! That's what I wanted to know.
I wasn't sure if it could've been due to my ISO or Shutterspeed settings as well

I shot an entire session this past weekend in raw, edited, and saved as a jpeg(

What???? LR doesn't give you the ability to "SAVE" an image, it gives you the ability to
"EXPORT" . When you click on export it will bring up this window where you can tell it what you want convert to under file settings. Options are JPEG, PSD, TIFF, DNG or Original. You can also set the quality level here.
12345.JPG

I uploaded the photos and realized when I zoom in there is a lottt of noise

Noise could be from an extreme enlargement of a JPEG, or if it's in the RAW file then it could have been from shooting at a high ISO

Noise could be from an extreme enlargement of a JPEG, or if it's in the RAW file then it could have been from shooting at a high ISO
And heavy editing/increasing exposure in post-production (if the original image was dark)!

ETA: and extreme cropping...

I shot an entire session this past weekend in raw, edited, and saved as a jpeg(

What???? LR doesn't give you the ability to "SAVE" an image, it gives you the ability to
"EXPORT" . When you click on export it will bring up this window where you can tell it what you want convert to under file settings. Options are JPEG, PSD, TIFF, DNG or Original. You can also set the quality level here.
View attachment 150358

I uploaded the photos and realized when I zoom in there is a lottt of noise

Noo I updated lightroom cc so I don't have "lightroom classic cc" so it doesn't give you that export option anymore. It's so annoying and frustrating

Without knowing what camera settings were used in the photograph leaves a couple of possibilities.

#1 on my list is ISO speed. The T1i is a good camera, but is years behind current sensor capabilities. Being this is a low light shot, I'm guessing either you or the camera boosted up the ISO speed to get a reasonably exposed picture at a shutter speed sufficient to stop motion. Generally, with ISO speeds, the lower, the better. In my opinion, the T1i isn't known as a low light camera these days as it's best ISO speeds are probably 1600 and less. After that, the noise level approaches 'unacceptable' and only moderately correctable.

#2 on my list is the large dark areas in the image. Dark areas are another noise generator, especially when 'cranked up' in post processing, such as the Lightroom 'shadows' slider. I use the shadows slider frequently on my low-light photographs to brighten up peoples faces, etc.

#3 is that the images presented represent a significantly cropped image. In low light shots like this, most cameras will have some noise, but it's generally not visible when viewed as the entire image and not expanding it up to billboard size and seeing the noise.

Your profile says editing your photos is OK. I'll be the first to admit I am a self-taught hack when it comes to post processing, but I can usually come up with an acceptable result. So I took a shot at your photo. As this is a JPG image to start with, a good deal of the latitude in editing is lost. So, I played a bit with the sharpening sliders as well as noise reduction in lightroom (I'm a real hack at both...'played' is the correct word to describe my efforts) and used an add-on noise reduction product and came up with this in a couple of minutes.

Attachments

• test-1.jpg
    test-1.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 116
youre not really seeing noise, youre seeing jpeg artifacts.

here's my own cropped B&W:

cb68bd5544bfd0189e70024e4f7fd549-xxlarge.jpg

and now saved poorly:

dfdsaf (4).jpg

you can start to see a very similar blocking/patchy look to the image.

Without knowing what camera settings were used in the photograph leaves a couple of possibilities.

#1 on my list is ISO speed. The T1i is a good camera, but is years behind current sensor capabilities. Being this is a low light shot, I'm guessing either you or the camera boosted up the ISO speed to get a reasonably exposed picture at a shutter speed sufficient to stop motion. Generally, with ISO speeds, the lower, the better. In my opinion, the T1i isn't known as a low light camera these days as it's best ISO speeds are probably 1600 and less. After that, the noise level approaches 'unacceptable' and only moderately correctable.

#2 on my list is the large dark areas in the image. Dark areas are another noise generator, especially when 'cranked up' in post processing, such as the Lightroom 'shadows' slider. I use the shadows slider frequently on my low-light photographs to brighten up peoples faces, etc.

#3 is that the images presented represent a significantly cropped image. In low light shots like this, most cameras will have some noise, but it's generally not visible when viewed as the entire image and not expanding it up to billboard size and seeing the noise.

Your profile says editing your photos is OK. I'll be the first to admit I am a self-taught hack when it comes to post processing, but I can usually come up with an acceptable result. So I took a shot at your photo. As this is a JPG image to start with, a good deal of the latitude in editing is lost. So, I played a bit with the sharpening sliders as well as noise reduction in lightroom (I'm a real hack at both...'played' is the correct word to describe my efforts) and used an add-on noise reduction product and came up with this in a couple of minutes.
Great advice, thank you so much!

I hope you get it straightened out because it is an outstanding portrait. Nice work.

I would say eather your ISO is too high or LR is messing it up.

You can try PhotoscapeX for free much better then LR IMO. $30. for a lifetime if you like and want the full version.

I would say eather your ISO is too high or LR is messing it up.

You can try PhotoscapeX for free much better then LR IMO. $30. for a lifetime if you like and want the full version.
Oh awesome, I've never heard of it! I looked back at settings and I think it was a mixture of ISO and lightroom. Thank you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back