Pricing for a Used D700 .. Taking advantage of the D600 release..

austriker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dlindahlphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, so I have been eyeing the upgrade to a full frame since the D600 was announced.

For a variety of reasons and after much research I think I want to make the jump to the D700 from my d300. (Better body build, and layout, picked up a d600 and it seems too casual consumer, no need for video, and no need for more megapixels, plus I can spend more on glass- my lenses are nearly all DX)

I have a found a few locally. Including one in good condition that was just serviced by nikon (regular maintenance) for $1300. The catch being it has 95k shutter actuations. Which is quite a few. I dont shoot professionally and I think the d700 is rated to 150k. I dont have experience with it so I would like to pose the question, is it too many? For reference a few with less than 20k are selling for 1500-1700.

Thoughts, thanks!

Yes 95,000 is too many for my tastes. YMMV I would IF I had the money to spend try to find a gently used camera and not a camera that had been used up by a pro with that many firings.

I have been pondering if a used D700 would be a better buy over the new D600. They do seemed to have dropped a hefty amount now with the announcement of the D600. 95k is a lot in my opinion any way you look at it, overall count or % of life. I'd rather spend justa few hundred more for the lower shutter count. You will likely appreciate it down the rode if for nothing other that re-sale.

I don't think it's a problem. How much does it cost to have a BRAND NEW shutter put in? $250? So if it fails on your first click and you have to get a new shutter, you have a D700 body with ZERO actuations for $1550.

I've seen a slightly used D3 go for 1310€ on eBay.

No way I would pay that much for a D700. Even less one with almost 100k Actutations.

I don't think it's a problem. How much does it cost to have a BRAND NEW shutter put in? $250? So if it fails on your first click and you have to get a new shutter, you have a D700 body with ZERO actuations for $1550.

Well, not exactly. There's more mechanics to the body than just the shutter. The mirror mechanism, the aperture link.....

95K is a little high for my tastes. If the right deal comes around, I'm considering picking up a second D700. The general price I'm seeing for shutter counts under 50K are between $1500-1600.

It's only a couple hundred dollars to replace a shutter............It's not like miles on a car, 100,000 clicks on a camera is not the same as 100,000 miles on a car.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, certainly appreciated. I think I might pass on it with so many shots. Id rather spend a few hundred more; I found one with under 10k shots on it, seems like the better bet. That was kind of my gut feeling. Either way I am stoked to potentially own a D700, moving up to full frame seems like a great idea. I will probably keep the trusty D300 as a backup or for sports and otherwise time to liquidate my DX lenses!

For comparison, I picked up a D700 with 20k clicks that looks absolutely like new. Payed $1550.

For comparison, I picked up a D700 with 20k clicks that looks absolutely like new. Payed $1550.

Good info, thanks. I found a basically brand new d700 + nikon grip for $1750 I am going to buy. It has less than 10k shots. Super deal I think.

For comparison, when the d800 came out, I got a mint d700 gripped with about 10k clicks and 2 nikon and 2 aftermarket batteries for $1750.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back