Pricing Large Format Canvases

Vin Le Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I'm working with a client right now that wants a huge canvas triptych. One 30x40 in the center and two 20x30s on each side. Currently, my 30x40 canvases go for $338 and 20x30 canvases for $180. To me, I feel as though these are more than reasonable prices, especially since I plan on raising them as my business grows. However, she's having trouble with these prices. Honestly, I have no idea whether or not I'm too cheap, reasonable, or expensive on this one. Please let me know what you guys think and why.

Thanks!
A TFP Noob

It would help to know the going rate for pricing in your area, to me that seems on the low side, but I've priced work for display in a photo gallery or art show. Try American Society of Media Photographers or PPA for resources on pricing etc.

Media photography isn't retail photography.

$338 for a 30 x 40 canvas is IMO dirt cheap.
Having a photographer make images and arrange for prints on canvas is a luxury service, not providing a commodity like bushels of corn.
Price accordingly. What is a "reasonable" price?

By the way, one of the hardest things for a retail business to do is to raise prices.
Raising prices usually means abandoning most, if not all, of your current customer base and having to spend a lot of money to build a new customer base that will pay the new higher prices.
A business axiom is that we have to spend 10x more on advertising to create a new customer than we need to spend to keep an existing customer.

A decent quality 30 x 40 canvas (gallery wrap) should cost you about $150. If you're paying significantly less than $150 for a print on canvas (gallery wrap) make sure the 'canvas' is actual canvas (cotton) cloth and isn't actually textured plastic.
At 3x your cost that 30 x 40 canvas should be $450.
IMO, 3x your cost pricing is only sufficient for you to break even - ie - no profit.

I priced by the square inch ($0.50 per sq in) so a 30 x 40 canvas bought from me was $600.

Last edited:
It would help to know the going rate for pricing in your area, to me that seems on the low side, but I've priced work for display in a photo gallery or art show. Try American Society of Media Photographers or PPA for resources on pricing etc.
Hmm, I may have to look into that. Would the best way be to contact other photographers around my area? I am just reluctant to do this because they're obviously my competitors and I don't want to be stepping on anybody's toes.

Hmm, I may have to look into that. Would the best way be to contact other photographers around my area? I am just reluctant to do this because they're obviously my competitors and I don't want to be stepping on anybody's toes.
The real question is: What does it cost you to provide that 20x30 or 30x40 print.

$338 for a 30 x 40 canvas is IMO dirt cheap.
A decent quality 30 x 40 canvas (gallery wrap) should cost you about $150. If you're paying significantly less than $150 for a print on canvas (gallery wrap) make sure the 'canvas' is axctual canvas cloth and isn't actually textured plastic.
Okay, in regards to the price being dirt cheap, that's what I thought, too! I just feel bad now because she wants this so bad, but she can't seem to afford it.

As for my cost, I'm purchasing from CGPro Prints in accordance to the many reviews and testimonials by other professionals. With that, I'm purchasing a 30x40 at $75 before shipping, so I'm a little more than quadrupling the price. Do you have any thoughts on this?

The real question is: What does it cost you to provide that 20x30 or 30x40 print.
I'm purchasing from CGPro prints, so a 20x30 only costs me about $40 and a 30x40 only costs me $75 before shipping.

I'm purchasing from CGPro prints, so a 20x30 only costs me about $40 and a 30x40 only costs me $75 before shipping.
No! Wrong! Uh-uh! What about your time? Your Internet connection? Fuel to & from the shoot? Insurance? Gear replacement fund? When you're in a retail business, the product(s) you sell cost you a LOT more than what you're invoiced for on delivery. You need to stop what you're doing and carefully, and accurately evaluate your costs.

That said, if a client can't afford it, they can't afford it. Offer other options; smaller canvases, paper prints vice canvas, or a payment plan.

Yep, VERY cheap. I'm at $420 on a 20x30!

John just curious do you have much demand for 20x30 canvas prints.
No, very little. I've sold maybe 3 in the last two years. The vast majority of my sales are paper prints, primarily 8x10 & 11x14, with some smaller canvases (usually 16x20 and under).

I also use CGPro prints usually 20x30 very nice prints at a great price.

Yep, VERY cheap. I'm at $420 on a 20x30!

John just curious do you have much demand for 20x30 canvas prints.
No, very little. I've sold maybe 3 in the last two years. The vast majority of my sales are paper prints, primarily 8x10 & 11x14, with some smaller canvases (usually 16x20 and under).

Thanks, I don't sell any I do donate 5-8 a year to fundraisers. Which of course makes them real popular with the organizers. They always seem to call the following year.

No! Wrong! Uh-uh! What about your time? Your Internet connection? Fuel to & from the shoot? Insurance? Gear replacement fund? When you're in a retail business, the product(s) you sell cost you a LOT more than what you're invoiced for on delivery. You need to stop what you're doing and carefully, and accurately evaluate your costs.

That said, if a client can't afford it, they can't afford it. Offer other options; smaller canvases, paper prints vice canvas, or a payment plan.
Hmm, I may look into offering a payment plan for it. Thanks for the info and ideas!

Most reactions

Back