Primer on bird photography

Hello,

I was just poking around Amazon and noticed this book on birding, which received many favorable reviews from the customers who've purchased it. It looks quite promising and I believe I'll be ordering one myself! It may be worth your time to check it out. The book is titled: "The Handbook Of Bird Photography." Here's the link: Amazon.com: The Handbook of Bird Photography (9781937538101): Markus Varesvuo, Jari Peltomaki, Bence Mate: Books

Birds remain my favorite subjects to photograph. Here's a link to my collection of bird photographs if you're interested: https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Other/Strictly-For-The-Bird

Wishing you the best in your bird photography!
Tony
Lovely portfolio! I too surf amazon a bit and wondered about the same book. Thanks!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I definitely prefer my DSLR & is definitely my choice for top quality. But I think these shots from my Nikon P610 superzoom bridge camera. Are quite respectable. All tools have their place.

Hello,

I was just poking around Amazon and noticed this book on birding, which received many favorable reviews from the customers who've purchased it. It looks quite promising and I believe I'll be ordering one myself! It may be worth your time to check it out. The book is titled: "The Handbook Of Bird Photography." Here's the link: Amazon.com: The Handbook of Bird Photography (9781937538101): Markus Varesvuo, Jari Peltomaki, Bence Mate: Books

Birds remain my favorite subjects to photograph. Here's a link to my collection of bird photographs if you're interested: https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/Other/Strictly-For-The-Bird

Wishing you the best in your bird photography!
Tony
Lovely portfolio! I too surf amazon a bit and wondered about the same book. Thanks!!
Thank you and you're welcome. The book really looks great!
Take care,
Tony
Strictly For The Birds - Tony Britton

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
BTW, you might want to take a look at the cameras Tony has used for his photography. He also includes useful tips on his smugmug pages.
Hello soufiej,

I appreciate this very much! Wishing you and yours health, happiness and great photographs, of course, in this new year!

Tony
Nikon Coolpix P610 - Tony Britton

View attachment 114092 View attachment 114093 View attachment 114094 View attachment 114095 View attachment 114097 I definitely prefer my DSLR & is definitely my choice for top quality. But I think these shots from my Nikon P610 superzoom bridge camera. Are quite respectable. All tools have their place.
I really love those images! However, please start a new thread if you want to discuss wildlife photo gear- I am specifically asking for literature. Kindest regards, and again, lovely work.

Buy a Nikon D500.

(We got 'em now bub,they can't resist.)

Buy a Nikon D500.

Trust me, I would love that! Please recall though that this is a literature thread, not a hardware thread. Thank

Buy a Nikon D500.

Trust me, I would love that! Please recall though that this is a literature thread, not a hardware thread. Thank
I was well aware of that Peeb.
Was all sarcasm on my part.
soufiej post made no sense to me at all concerning your original post,and I figured if I was confused ,I might as well confuse everyone else.
Follow kris rowe,coastalconn.
He's spectacular and will offer advice.

Last edited:
Buy a Nikon D500.

I was well aware of that Peeb.
Was all sarcasm on my part.
LOL- sorry. I'm just finishing up a long, tiring, and frustrating day – so my sponge may not be soaking too well tonight. Be well!

I definitely prefer my DSLR & is definitely my choice for top quality. But I think these shots from my Nikon P610 superzoom bridge camera. Are quite respectable. All tools have their place.

By all means, "top quality" results will be available when using "top quality" gear. It is, of course, no guarantee of any such thing. Hating to be redundant, it is the photographer along with their talents and skills and not the camera that makes the difference.

If "the result" is getting the shot, then there are distinct disadvantages to bags full of gear and long, long lenses which require tripods to achieve highest quality. Keep in mind, each of Tony's shots have been taken hand held.

No one is pretending expensive cameras and lenses do not have advantages over a bridge camera costing a few hundred dollars. Most of those photographers you'll find in my links also carry and use expensive gear when it is the only or "best" option.

The idea, however, that only a more expensive hammer will drive the nail more accurately is absurd IMO.

We're talking birds. The birds don't give a ratsass (speaking as much as I can for those hawks) what camera and lens you have.

I would suggest you too open a few of the links and read. If after you have read a few articles and blogs, you still see nothing of value, well, the old saying about horses and water comes to mind.

Last edited:

By all means, "top quality" results will be available when using "top quality" gear. It is, of course, no guarantee of any such thing. Hating to be redundant, it is the photographer along with their talents and skills and not the camera that makes the difference.

If "the result" is getting the shot, then there are distinct disadvantages to bags full of gear and long, long lenses which require tripods to achieve highest quality. Keep in mind, each of Tony's shots have been taken hand held.

No one is pretending expensive cameras and lenses do not have advantages over a bridge camera costing a few hundred dollars. Most of those photographers you'll find in my links also carry and use expensive gear when it is the only or "best" option.

The idea, however, that only a more expensive hammer will drive the nail more accurately is absurd IMO.

We're talking birds. The birds don't give a ratsass (speaking as much as I can for those hawks) what camera and lens you have.

I would suggest you too open a few of the links and read. If after you have read a few articles and blogs, you still see nothing of value, well, the old saying about horses and water comes to mind.
Thank you for caring to contribute to my 'primer' thread; however if you wish to start a thread (or argument) about the value of bridge cameras for wildlife photography, could you kindly start a new thread? I just don't want this thread derailed by a debate over gear, if you don't mind. I've made quite an earnest attempt at a thread about primers on bird photography.

Best regards, Peeb

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll feel this too is out of place now that you wish to control editorial comment and restrict input to this thread.

However, do remember it was you who first violated the "I am not here to discuss equipment" rule in posts #4, #5 and #6. There was no issue with discussing equipment when it was what you wanted to hear.

Ignore what I say about equipment and only look at the information regarding birding in my links. How's that work fer'ya?

Or accept the fact not all threads end where the op originally directed them.

Best regards,
soufiej

Anyone familar with "Wildlife Photography: Advanced Field Techniques for Tracking Elusive Animals and Capturing Magical Moments" by Joseph Classen? Amazon reviewers seem to love it.

I'm specifically interested in the non-photographic part of the quest (best time of day to capture a particular animal in action- is a blind or other stationary watching point essential or helpful- stuff like that). The above-reference book calls this "field craft" and is a term new to me.

I'm sure you'll feel this too is out of place now that you wish to control editorial comment and restrict input to this thread.

However, do remember it was you who first violated the "I am not here to discuss equipment" rule in posts #4, #5 and #6. There was no issue with discussing equipment when it was what you wanted to hear.

Ignore what I say about equipment and only look at the information regarding birding in my links. How's that work fer'ya?

Or accept the fact not all threads end where the op originally directed them.

Best regards,
soufiej
Blah blahblahblablahblah
Whaaaaaaat?

Most reactions

Back