Print Issue...

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been on and off the phone with Nikon all day today. I have a D3100 and whenever I take pictures and I try to print them, I can only print up to a 5x7 without them being cropped and not fitting on the page. I need these pictures as 8x10 and 8 1/2x11. I have changed the image size on the camera and tried it again and it didnt work. I was then told by Nikon that if I open the pictures in ViewNX2 or any Nikon software, I would be able to print them the size that I need them and they would turn out fine. This was wrong. I have tried this more than one time with more than one picture. Any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Without knowing things like your printer make/model, the margins you have set for it, what settings you have set up for NX2, it's gonna be a toughie.

Your D3100 makes pictures that have a 3:2 aspect ratio. Print size is determined by the image pixel dimensions and the PPI (pixels-per-inch) value you assign the image.

At full resolution your D3100 make photos that have pixel dimensions of 4608 x 3072 pixels.
4608 x 3072 pixels assigned at 100 PPI will print 46.08 inches by 30.72 inches. At 300 PPI the same 4608 x 3072 pixels will print 15.36 inches by 10.24 imches.

Prints that have a 3:2 aspect ratio are 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 10x15, etc. In each the long side of the print is 1.5 times longer than the short side of the print.

A 5x7 has a different aspect ratio and the only way you can make an 7:5 aspect ratio print from a 3:2 original is to crop part of the 3:2 original away. The long side of the print is 1.4 times longer than the short side of the print.

8x10 is a 5:4 aspect ratio and the only way you can make an 5:4 aspect ratio print from a 3:2 original is to crop part of the 3:2 original away. The long side of the print is 1.25 times longer than the short side of the print.

8 1/2 x 11 is yet another (and oddball for photography) aspect ratio. If you notice 5:4 is closer to being a square than 3:2 is. A square has an aspect ratio of 1:1.

AspectRatiocopy.png

AspectRatioChartv2.png

Last edited:
I'm new to this, is there any way you could tell me what exactly I need/can do in order to get the sizes that I need?

KMJ is right BUT if you don't want to crop the image you can have one that is 10 inches long (or 11) but there will be white space on either side (which you may have to add, depending on your printer)

messagelb.jpg

You need to add enough space to the image on either side so that the sides are in a 4 x 5 aspect ratio.

If you don't know how to do this, I suggest you take it to a photo store or shop that makes prints and have them do it.

@ The_Traveler - I would really like to learn how to do this so I can fix this problem when I face it later. Thanks!

..or crop your images to the requested size ratio.
Anyway, if your image is rectangular 3:2 and composed to be that ratio, why print it on a different ratio? It's like having made a round cake and pressing/cutting it because you want it into a square tray.
EDIT: reading again, perhaps I'm starting to understand your difficulty. I'm sure also on Windows the printer driver allows to tell "resize to fit page" or something similar.

Last edited:
I'm new to this, is there any way you could tell me what exactly I need/can do in order to get the sizes that I need?
I bet it's a lot more involved than you expected it was.

As The_Traveler demonstrated you can put your image on a larger canvas in image editing software.

I don't think we could talk you through adding the space because it seems you are a complete novice at this and, while the task may be simple, the process may be difficult, depending on the software you have available.

It is like trying to talk someone through moving a steamshovel into the yard, not a difficult problem for someone who knows how to drive a steamshovel.

I suggest you get it done for you this time and then look on the web for tutorials on resizing using the software you have.

@ KmH - Yes it is! But I'm sure once I get going with it and learn a little more, it will be well worth it. If I put the image on a larger canvas will it turn out alright? or how does that work? I really need these images as 8x10s and 8 1/2x11.

The problem I'm seeming to have is that my image is too big to make an 8x10. Is there any way I can fix this?

If you have CS5, go to your crop tool. Enter the dimensions you want. Crop.

If there's nothing you want to crop out, the crop tool will allow you to leave extra room on the sides (or top and bottom).

And keep in mind, that with a 3:2 ratio, you cannot make your print on an 8x10 piece of paper and have it look exactly the same. It's just basic math, the ratios are not equal. Either you will have blank space on the sides or you will have to crop some out.

Most reactions

Back