Print Markup Percent??

Which makes sense. Sadly, they are prohibitively expensive to buy for a gallery showing in which I wholly expect to sell nothing. I mean, I did it as "cheaply" as possible and it still cost close to $500. My plan from here out is to slowly stockpile images (prints w/ frames, canvases, metal prints, etc) so if I ever run into this "hey wanna have a gallery showing in two months?!" Situation I'll be more prepared.

Jake

That's what I started doing, slowly building a good inventory that way if I needed to hang photos somewhere I had enough on hand. I feel like my prices are a little too cheap though, I have a few 10x15 prints, matted and framed to 16x20 for $149. $100 for a framed 20x30 is really cheap though, I see most photographers in my area charging more than $100 for just a 20x30 print on their site, nevermind framing

Good to know.... I'll think about it.

dunno. If you could sell three and cover your five hundred dollar costs I would start there. so maybe 150-175 each? You may not sell any though....hard to tell.
just throwing this out there no idea.
it might actually have more to do with your market area and the gallery itself, where this is taking place. Everyone I know buys paintings, prints I see are in the hundred dollar or less range usually. shoot i have seen unframed prints for twenty bucks. That is just where I live though no one here is really into prints especially if you are a unknown...
I know of a painter that sells prints of their paintings for sixty dollars each numbered .
for me, and I was trying to sell the things, fifty buck. I kid you not. For a 8x10 I would trade a pack of cigarettes. lol

I have only seen high quality, expensive prints sold at a persons personal gallery. The rest are usually cheaper items sold at a craft store or similar where they print is probably super cheap but the mark up is huge in order to make profit. I know a lot of people are advertising their prints online through certain services (I can't name them at the moment). They seem to be offering them at a "standard" price that is much higher than one would buy something from Walmart, Hobby Lobby, or even some small art stores. I'll check my Facebook and see if I can find a link to one of these and post it. I would also assume that they are selling them cheaper than what you would purchase them from a gallery where you could go see the work first and also to compensate for gaining business online.

Pricing Guides | American Society of Media Photographers Under 'Calculating your Cost of Doing Business' there's a link to an online calculator on NPPA's site.

When I've submitted to juried exhibits I look at the pricing for exhibitions at the gallery where it will be displayed and use that as a guideline. Usually it ranges from about $150-200 for a small framed print to $400-500 or higher; for large works and/or those by more well known, established photographers/artists it can range in the hundreds or higher (but I haven't seen a lot priced in the higher end of the range).

aa0026f72b813b96974e6078a81733f7.jpg

That's what I came up with. It probably seems cheap to some, but I do need a profit and I do need a profit, and I'm not "established" so i can't charge the arm and a leg that some fancy photog's do.

Jake

Still seems really cheap to me. Something to keep in mind is that once you set prices, it's hard to raise them in the future. The print prices don't seem too low, it's the framed prices- especially for bigger prints, that I feel are too low. That's just my opinion of course, charge whatever you'd like.

Still seems really cheap to me. Something to keep in mind is that once you set prices, it's hard to raise them in the future. The print prices don't seem too low, it's the framed prices- especially for bigger prints, that I feel are too low. That's just my opinion of course, charge whatever you'd like.

I just worry about sticker shock and not selling ANY. Ya know?

I have to agree; my price on an unframed 20x30 is almost twice what yours is, but we're almost identical on the 8x10.

I just worry about sticker shock and not selling ANY. Ya know?

I had the same fear, and set my prices similarly (just a touch higher) at my first show. I sold a few small prints, but didn't even come close to breaking even. This was at an art gallery in my hometown that is overrun with rich tourists in the summer, and a lot of them art buyers. A few people came up to me and told me how much they liked my work, but I needed to raise the prices, because it gives the implication that they are worth more (sounds dumb, but it makes sense).

I certainly felt my work was worth more, I put a lot of time into creating those photos....lots of early mornings, in the freezing cold, or all nighters shooting the Milky Way. A lot of sacrifice goes into our work, am I wrong? Next show I raised the prices, mostly on bigger pieces, and sold more. I still had leftover prints, but I made around $300 in profit after covering the initial cost. I still feel like my prices are too low though. But don't sell yourself short man, mark them at prices you feel that they are worth, not what you think what they will sell at (within reason obviously)

f895a6637625b72096eb977ed97cb9d5.jpg

Re adjusted a bit but still kept them in the sale-able range. Thoughts?

Looks good man. Hope your show goes well! I usually have a lot of fun at them, and actually have one coming up on Saturday, it's a small show though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back