Probably a Easy answer....

pyagid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife just gave me a Nikon N75 for my b-day, i was into photography for a couple of year, but never persued it much due to lack of equipment, and money to fund the hobbie.

ANYWAY onto my question

With this new camera i burned through 2 rolls of film, fairly quickly just goofing around. Both Rolls, were 24 exposures, one of the rolls only 12 came out, the other one about 15 came out. I am 99.9999% sure i loaded the film properly, and in both cases it is the beginning pictures that dont come out, which would be the end of the roll that never saw any light. I have never had this problem with previous cameras

I had the first roll developed at a BJ's wholesale, just b/c it was cheap and i knew i did not take anything really worth developing, i thought it may have been a developing error, b/c there was also scratchs on the negatives, and it was definately (i got what i paid for). SO the second roll I took to Ritz Camera and the quality was better, but same thing I only got 12 out of the 24.

Does anyone of any solutions to my problem? What i should look for? should i just go back to where i bought the camera?

ANd here is the best picture i got out of the second batch

DROP640.jpg

Thanks in Advance
-Paul

What do you mean by didn't come out? Are they not what you expected or is there no picture at all....and if so...are the negatives clear or solid?

the negatives are clear, like the film was never exposed this is color film also

-Paul

If it were happening randomly through the whole roll of film, I'd say that there's a problem with your shutter.

Were you using a flash with the shots that didn't turn out?

Never exposed or not exposed for long enough? You've used a fast shutter there, is there a chance it was too fast? It's odd that on both rolls the same 12 are giving you problems. I have no idea as to what would cause that, other than a lens cap still being on. I'd be tempted to e-mail Nikon and/or take it back to the shop for them to look at.

edit

I'm not sure how Nikon's work, I have a Minolta. On my Minolta you can set all kinds of customs settings on and off. Have you made sure you haven't got the camera set to something that it shouldn't be? Your manual should help you out here.

i know the cap was off, and it is possible that it was to fast, but even the pictures i took in the same settings, with out a flash came out with something. Not good, but there was something there.

That is what concerned me is that it was basically the same group from each roll of film, I will probably go back to the shop i got it tonight or tomorrow, and see what they have to say

Once again thanks for you answers

-Paul

I'm not sure if I missed it, but was the missing pictures random through the roll or in a block of about 12 shots?

it appears to be the first half of the roll

-Paul

have you asked the guys in Ritz what the problem could be

hmm...i am new to photography so i am practicing the basics for the most part...

did you have the right ISO/ASA set?
did you pay attention to your light meter readings?

It seems that you were shooting inside, judging by your last picture, and I think the pictures may have been underexposed so that no image could be seen.

I will take a guess. If you look really close at the negatives, there are very faint bits of images. These are severely underexposed. If the flash was not working, i.e not turned on or something. The camera was exposing for the flash. I would say it wasn't iso, since it has the reader for the film, and it was, again I'm guessing, set for one of the automatic settings, so you weren't reading the wrong meter readings. Other than that, shoot a roll outside and see what you get, then if something is still wrong, take it to the camera store.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, i was playing with it in SHutter Priority mode. I am going through 1 more roll of film, in Good lighting and going to test this. I did look at the negatives very closely before i even posted, and could not see anything at all.

The other thing could it be the Film? I was talking to my wife about this problem, and she said this was film she had, with her last time we went on vacation, and this film did go through the scanners, and x-ray machine at teh airport.

Once i go through this last roll, if i have the same problem, i am going to go back to the camera shop and talk to them about it.

Once again thanks for all your input, and i will post my findings

-Paul

I think x-rays will not cause problems with pictures not showing up, it usually will cause some kind of fogging. which should be pretty noticeable.

My curiosity is up, so post what the results are with this next roll.

When shooting in shutter priority mode, what apertures were you getting? Is it possible that you set the shutter way to fast for the light level...and that the lens could not open the aperture any wider to accommodate the fast shutter?

Were you using a flash? The camera will have a flash sync speed...which is the fastest shutter speed you can use with a flash...Usually from 1/90 to 1/125. If the shutter is set any faster than this...the flash will fire while the shutter is only partially open...however this usually results in half of the photo being exposed and half being dark.

I am pretty sure i was using the flash (built in flash for the camera) for all the shots. And yes i did have the shutter speed pretty high, I also had all the lights on in the room, so there was Some light coming in externally. I honestly dont remember what the apertures were, like i said i was really just screwing around and not paying attention to that. This last roll I am on I am paying more attention to everything.

Thanks
Paul

Most reactions

New Topics

Back