Procedure for selling images from an event.

BWeber1982

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently have started the business end of photography, but and figuring things out on my own, but would like some input. I have done about 6 events, during these party events, guests are asking me if they can receive the images. As not having any contract, and they haven't paid, I tell them to speak with the organizer of the event. I feel, the organizer has paid for me to photograph the event for them, I am not going to give away the photos for free to an attendee. I feel as the photographer I should receive the purchase price if guests would like these photos, and not the organizer of the event. But what's the way to go about things as to not "step on anyones toes?" Do I notify the organizer if guests want images from the event, they are more than welcome to purchase from me, but I will give the organizer a week with the photos prior to selling any to attendees. What's the proper, or most common way to go about this? I just don't see that the organizer should give my images to them for free, or pay her for them when they are my property. Thanks for all your help!

-Bethany

I would put in addendum into the contract you have with the organizer which stipulates that you will also be selling the images to individuals who ask. If he/she/they don't like that idea, then charge them a premium for exclusivity.

You need to purchase a dye sub printer paired with a laptop and print at the event, that is the best way to make money. I'm shooting dog portraits this weekend at a dog agility event i usually shoot the action shots but i shot some portraits the other week and took £150 in 1.5hrs and there are 400+ dogs at this event

If you have been hired to shoot an event the images go to the person that hired you, unless you have an agreement with that person that allows you to sell the images to a thrid party. Alot of the time the person that hired you will want to send the photos out as thanks for coming to my event.

If you have been hired to shoot an event the images go to the person that hired you, unless you have an agreement with that person that allows you to sell the images to a thrid party. Alot of the time the person that hired you will want to send the photos out as thanks for coming to my event.

Over here when we say event photography we mean football,ruby, ball, you pay an amout to shoot and the rest is yours people are starting to use a laptop and printer at the evening of a wedding party

I recently have started the business end of photography, but and figuring things out on my own, but would like some input. I have done about 6 events, during these party events, guests are asking me if they can receive the images. As not having any contract, and they haven't paid, I tell them to speak with the organizer of the event. I feel, the organizer has paid for me to photograph the event for them, I am not going to give away the photos for free to an attendee. I feel as the photographer I should receive the purchase price if guests would like these photos, and not the organizer of the event. But what's the way to go about things as to not "step on anyones toes?" Do I notify the organizer if guests want images from the event, they are more than welcome to purchase from me, but I will give the organizer a week with the photos prior to selling any to attendees. What's the proper, or most common way to go about this? I just don't see that the organizer should give my images to them for free, or pay her for them when they are my property. Thanks for all your help!

-Bethany
Unless you have signed a contract containing a 'work-for-hire' agreement with the event management, you own the copyright to any photographs you make, and can sell your photos to whom ever you wish.

If your agreement with the event mangement includes an exclusive use license, then you should still be able to sell photos to individuals for their person use.

Though you may be charging for your services, it sounds like you don't yet have a firm grasp on what rights accrue to you when you release the shutter on your camera (copyright) and what usage rights are all about.

Visit www.copyright.gov for US copyright law and issues/definitions like 'work-for-hire' and then visit www.ASMP.org to learn about use licensing (On the left of the ASMP home page click on 'Business Resources').

Most reactions

Back