Processing Images That Need to be Large?

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have some images that I believe would look great printed large but are falling short displayed small on the computer screen. I attached an example, there is soooo much hidden in this shot which I think will be only solved by it being viewed much bigger than possible on the computer.
Anyone have any tips and tricks to edit this kind of image?

I'm not sure if it's OOF or just soft because it's been resized. Can you post a link to a full-size image?

I have that problem as well - the exquisite detail that I can record in my images just gets blurred into mush when resizing and uploading. When printed, they look gorgeous, but on the uploaded displays... kinda ho-hum. Almost to the point that I am reluctant to post the images as they convey little of what excites me when I see them in full detail. However, I think part of MY problem is that I don't do the proper amount of sharpening (and in the right way) after resizing.

Edit: have you considered flipping your image 180 degrees, with the tendrils of ice reaching upwards instead of down?

Here a link to the full size (I think you can view the full size?) ..., please note it isn't "finished" ;)

IMG_3914 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

All I can see is an 800 x 525 pixel image.

lol .... yep it's been one of THOSE days already ;) try again....

That image has a size of 525x800. Your image on flickr is similarly small. So either you don't have a full-sized picture uploaded, or the link is wrong. OTOH, I don't know which sites allow 12 MB jpg images...

Yeah Paul, I'm silly this morning, I edited the post with the full size image, refresh should work....

As for your stuff, I have noticed that, you have to view large or you miss a lot, the one that comes to mind is a shot of some leaves you posted in the fall. Viewing it as it showed up in your OP it was "meh" but click on it and view it large and it was a totally different ballgame!

Never mind..... I remember why I hate Flickr now. It takes 19 steps to do one thing.

Here's my edit:

IceEditPost.jpg

Original full-size edit is here.

There's quite a bit of CA, so I reduced the saturation of yellow and purple instead of simply desaturating the entire image. I also brought the black point up to get the darker areas closer to black. I put a slight S into the curve and finished with a high-pass sharpening.

Unfortunately, the image isn't all that sharp to me.

Last edited:
That's not bad Sparky, thanks! Are you positive it was CA and not flecks of colour caused by the backlighting through the ice? There was some colours firing off that I could see as I was shooting. I got quite a few shots of the frost, I do like this despite it's lack of sharpness but I'm going to take another closer look and find some sharper ones to play with, I know there are a couple in there.

It's CA... the yellow is always towards the center of the image, and the purple is always towards the outside edge. At least that's my understanding of it.

480sparky said:
It's CA... the yellow is always towards the center of the image, and the purple is always towards the outside edge. At least that's my understanding of it.

Ok cool :) thanks, just checking ;)

Thank you dear mod for moving this, I was still working on my first coffee of the day, that's my story and I'm stickin to it !

What camera was this taken on? If your camera can't take crystal clear images you cant really make the images huge. Sorry. :(

What camera was this taken on? If your camera can't take crystal clear images you cant really make the images huge. Sorry. :(

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: EF-S18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Image Date: 2013-01-21 09:57:35 +0000
Focal Length: 100mm
Aperture: f/16.0
Exposure Time: 0.0005 s (1/2000)
ISO equiv: 400
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual