Processing vs Photography Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoke, just as a fun not really serious re your post 58
How would Star Trek style beam me up tech fit in it records an image pattern.....

Joking a side post 58
I agree, with the coming of digital and other technologies the labels we use are changing and or will have to change
Someone said that slide film was the closest we could get to straight out of camera.
Ok yes, but having shot slides, what was not mentioned was all the pre shoot processing
Storing film correctly, having it at the right temp at the time of the shoot, filters to correct light colour casts
Choosing which slide film you wanted for the shoot as #at the time 1970s....1990s each film had its own quirks
Yes we make adjustments depending on final output, web,print,projected display. And so on
I am a hobbyists photographer, but I own kit that 20 years ago a pro would have given their right hand to own
I produce photos that are better than those in books from about the same age..because the tech has improved so much
I can shoot vid on my I phone#very badly#
I have had photographs on display for over the last 4 years.
10 years ago looking at my kit, of today #most of which is used# I would have been classed a a rich git with more money than brains. Today my kit would be classed as dated

But I think I am still a hobbyist photographer I am definitely not a videographer
Labels they are changing, you can see it even on this site.
We are all photographers yes?
But the we or someone else will label/ sub label to clarify
Film, digital, med format or larger, digital med format, pro, high end enthusiasts, enters level user,
Point and shoot, bridge. Phone.
I am a canon user, and I make a point sometimes of saying when I reply to a post I only speak canon
It used to be pro, hobbyist and pos the bloke with more money than brains who did not know his asa/iso from his
Ass
If you take a photograph, regardless of equipment use are you not a photographer
If you use others work to make an image# copyright a side# are you not a compiler
My g kids call me a fossil because even though I can and do things like use the web I still can and do things the old way
In photography I am a fossil because I bracket manually rather that set the camera to do it and because I use tricks from my film days to workaround limitations I encounter
So guess that makes me canon (1.6 crop digital sensor ) speaking fossil

Saying someone is not a photographer, albeit hobbyist, for using a cell phone to take pictures, is like saying someone who replaces the shocks/springs on his car is not a mechanic because he used hand tools to loosen tighten bolts and not an impact wrench.

I can take crummy pictures on a D5 just as well as i can on my Pixel3.

How would Star Trek style beam me up tech fit in it records an image pattern.....

I can only hope that they develop the technology during my lifetime, and that the process will reconstruct me minus the sagging muscles, extra weight, thinning/white hair, etc., into something more resembling my youth.:biglaugh:

Yep I,ll have some of that, get the kenaf knees sorted lol

Did you take the photo of Loch Lomond?
Yes I did, Its my photo.

I still dont see the difference between a camera in your hand and a camera inside an artificial 3D rendered scene. The same controls have to be adjusted to suit and the lighting has to be controlled to the same extent as a physical camera.

You should see what I do with sunrises in a 3D scene.

I can only hope that they develop the technology during my lifetime, and that the process will reconstruct me minus the sagging muscles, extra weight, thinning/white hair, etc., into something more resembling my youth.:biglaugh:

Why do you think Facebook is doing 10-year challenges and developing deep fake software?

I think good, solid photography is all about skill and vision, and editing comes second. For me, it's 80% photography skill/vision, and 20% editing/vision.

Last edited:
I think good, solid photography is all about skill and vision, and editing comes second. For me, it's 80% photography skill/vision, and 20% editing/vision.

I find it interesting that you see vision, photography and editing as separate skills. To me they are part of the same thing.

I do tend towards project photographs that will take days / weeks to achieve. For example I wanted to get a photo of a particular purple flower at my local park. Multiple visits were required before I got the shot because of weather / lighting / bloom conditions etc. I like flowers with a sprinkle of HDR / Tone Mapping and was very happy with the result. The vision, photography and editing were all parts of the same project from the very start.

I find it interesting that you see vision, photography and editing as separate skills. To me they are part of the same thing.

I do tend towards project photographs that will take days / weeks to achieve. For example I wanted to get a photo of a particular purple flower at my local park. Multiple visits were required before I got the shot because of weather / lighting / bloom conditions etc. I like flowers with a sprinkle of HDR / Tone Mapping and was very happy with the result. The vision, photography and editing were all parts of the same project from the very start.

Interesting perspective. I sometimes have very specific processing in mind before or during the shoot. Not always though. But, if you’re going to be focus stacking, stitching panos, compositing, blending multiple exposures - that all needs to be planned out in advance so would all be part of the process as a whole.

Most of those are landscape or macro techniques. Dan is a portrait artist and that may be why he sees editing as a separate thing.

Just spent all afternoon mounting and framing photos... does that count as post processing

Yes they were all a part of the same project, but I don't think that automatically makes them all the same skill. A photographer can attain technical perfection without vision or editing skill. A retoucher can attain great editing skills while lacking technical photography skill or vision. An artist can have a great vision with no technical skill or editing knowledge or skill. These skills can certainly come together in a single project, sure, but like any skill they each require a different set of knowledge, teaching and experience. Knowing one of these skills doesn't make someone skilled in the other, nor are any of them the same thing.

Last edited:
It's the best thing

I was watching a video where a guy replaced a sky and added reflections in the water using Luminar 4. The result was impressive but now it's got me looking at landscape images trying to figure out if the sky is a replacement or the original.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back