Processing vs Photography Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are times and places where you have no choice.
A tour will not stop and wait and hour for you to get YOUR shot. You have to shoot and keep moving.
You cannot always move to eliminate a distracting background or foreground item.
In those cases, post processing may have to be done.

Unlike a painter, a photographer cannot "not record" what you don't want in the image.
As they say, when you take the picture, "you get it, warts and all." You have to get rid of the warts in post processing.

In the film days, we did not have HDR.
For landscape, I had to extend the DR of the image in the darkroom, lightening the shadows and toning down the highlights.
In the studio, you as the photographer can adjust the lighting so that the camera records what you want. You need to lighten the shadow, just add more light.

When you have difficult lighting, you have to correct in post.
You can correct for general white balance, but not specific local white balance.
Example at my school theater, the stage is lighted by different color lights, so as you move to different parts of the stage the color of the lighting changes. R+G+B=white, but only when R, G and B are even. If you have more R, the color is different than when you have more B. And sometimes you can't do anything about it, one picture with one performer with WHITE light, one with cyan lighting, and another with magenta lighting. o_O I eventually gave up on local color correction on the stage.
Similar when you get color reflection off of nearby surfaces, floor, walls and furniture.

Having said all that.
The more you can get it CORRECT in the camera, the less work you have to do on the computer.

If you can’t say what you need to say in a photograph without heaping layers of software filters or resorting the latest trends in post processing, you’re probably not saying much of anything.

-C.J. Chilvers
Dragging up a 4 year old zombie thread to not say anything yourself, just some pithy quote? Thanks.

As for this thread - I guess it’s as good a place as any for the quarterly edit vs SOOC debate. Have at it folks.

Dragging up a 4 year old zombie thread to not say anything yourself, just some pithy quote? Thanks.

As for this thread - I guess it’s as good a place as any for the quarterly edit vs SOOC debate. Have at it folks.
Surely there are fresher, bigger fish to fry? I vote for lockin' this one up!

Surely there are fresher, bigger fish to fry? I vote for lockin' this one up!
I'm with you. I've heard all senseless SOOC claims I need, typically from those who have no idea of what post processing involves or the work we did in the darkroom during the film glory days.

I'm with you. I've heard all senseless SOOC claims I need, typically from those who have no idea of what post processing involves or the work we did in the darkroom during the film glory days.
Amen. I'm arranging to shoot Canada's smallest bar--and it's just a stagger away. Lots of post involved. SOOC smells too much like Lars von Trier's bonkers "Dogme 95" cult for film makers.

Yeah, Ford/Chevy, Manual Transmission/Automatic. Let it rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back