Prosumer vs consumer

jonathon94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With a $400 budget I have limited options for my first dslr, lens, etc. But whatever I choose I do seem to have the option of an older prosumer camera (about 6 years old) or a newer (3+ years old) consumer model. Considering the budget, what would you pick

It would probably help if you told us which cameras they were!

^What he said, and also what do you want to DO with a DSLR? Are you completely new to photography? Have you been using a film SLR or a point-and-shoot...or nothing? What do you plan to take photos of--landscape? macro? portraits? Just basic family stuff?

Lens are *really* important, don't leave them out of the equation. Are the $400 cameras you're looking at equipped with a lens at all? Kit lens?

I just sold my d3100 with kit lens and a nice pelican case + 8gb card for 450 yesterday... i think the d3100 is a GREAT value in used DSLR camera's

With a $400 budget I have limited options for my first dslr, lens, etc. But whatever I choose I do seem to have the option of an older prosumer camera (about 6 years old) or a newer (3+ years old) consumer model. Considering the budget, what would you pick
Neither. Digital photography has changed as much in the past 6 years as other technological areas. Perhaps more. Sensor resolution, low-light ability, autofocus improvements, everything about digital photography has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 6 years. I would not recommend starting with a 6 year old camera.

Likewise I would not recommend starting with a low-end 3 year old consumer grade DSLR. The sensors are not always that good, the low-light capabilities are not always that good, the shutters have limited actuations.

Add to that the fact that for $400 you are going to get a low-quality lens with whatever you purchase. As was mentioned by someone else, my recommendation would be to wait until you have more to put with it. That budget is just not much to work with and you are not going to get something you can grow with, you are going to get something you will be looking to get rid of in 6 months or so.

It would probably help if you told us which cameras they were!

Nikon D100 (Prosumer)
Nikon D3000 (Consumer)
Canon EOS Rebel XS (Consumer)

Neither. Digital photography has changed as much in the past 6 years as other technological areas. Perhaps more. Sensor resolution, low-light ability, autofocus improvements, everything about digital photography has improved by leaps and bounds in the past 6 years. I would not recommend starting with a 6 year old camera.

Likewise I would not recommend starting with a low-end 3 year old consumer grade DSLR. The sensors are not always that good, the low-light capabilities are not always that good, the shutters have limited actuations.

Add to that the fact that for $400 you are going to get a low-quality lens with whatever you purchase. As was mentioned by someone else, my recommendation would be to wait until you have more to put with it. That budget is just not much to work with and you are not going to get something you can grow with, you are going to get something you will be looking to get rid of in 6 months or so.

Unfortunately it could be a while until I can save up more anytime soon and my Canon Powershot A490, while decent, has been used to it's limitations and the battery cover never wants to stay on. I actually wonder if I would tire of an older model in 6 months because it took me 9-10 months to tire of this one and that is primarily because I am frustrated with the lack of manual controls.

Resolution is not a big deal to me as I will never print over 8x10 anytime soon and while I'd prefer 8MP and higher, I can live with a 6MP camera. And while there are better cameras out there on the market, I don't see the possibility of having $800 for a while (I've tried to get a job and save but nobody around here is hiring.) If I absolutely can not find a DSLR that I can purchase I will be getting the Fujifilm Finepix HS20 it has the full manual controls that I like and decent low light sensitivity it just lacks removable lenses and a bigger sensor. One person once suggested the Canon Powershot G12 while it looks like a great camera (I love the control layout), it lacks the ability to upgrade to a telephoto lens in the future. The main things I am looking for in a camera is Good Quality, Decent Low light capabilities, telephoto lens capabilities, full manual controls, and the ability to control the aperture well enough to get a blurry background when needed.

..also has anyone had any experience with the sony DSLRs? I see their ads a lot and some are in my price range, I'm just wondering if sony makes decent quality camera or is my money best spent elsewhere?

..also has anyone had any experience with the sony DSLRs? I see their ads a lot and some are in my price range, I'm just wondering if sony makes decent quality camera or is my money best spent elsewhere?

Argueramos will be in here shortly to take a big dump in the middle of the thread.

On your budget, consider at micro 4/3 (mirrorless) camera. I've seen several Olympus EPL2 with kit lens in the $400USD range. Not a bad deal, not a bad camera, slightly smaller sensor than a cropped dSLR. They are ILS (interchangeable lens system).

Dare I say you can find used D5000 with kit lenses to get you started, but just save your money for a decent starter maybe a D5100 - D90. Just make sure you know how far you want to take this hobby/possible profession, it becomes an expensive addiction 8),

B&H at one time had a D5000 I really liked but then they raised the price on it :(

B&H is a good start, adorama, ritz but then try your local stores and pawn shops. The local store near moi even has their extended warranty, which I always consider buying. Craigslist is good but if you're new to the game have someone with who knows about DSLRs and what to expect from.

Most reactions

Back