What's new

Pulling hoses to siphon oil from a barge - near Mandalay

The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Joined
Dec 11, 2006
Messages
18,743
Reaction score
8,049
Location
Mid-Atlantic US
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It seems that much diesel oil is barged up the Irriwaddy river to Mandalay and then siphoned into either tanker trucks or barrels through hoses that are man-handled across the sandy shore.

Back breaking work - and hot.


p521815075-5.jpg
 
Great capture Lew; it's amazing how much of the world still relies almost exclusively on manpower, especially in the less developed regions of Asia and Central/South America.
 
Wonderful composition, conversion, and toning choice. Love how the hose they are carrying repeats the wavy line of the bridge in the background.
 
Lovely shot. I love the DoF in this image, and the lines, and, well, all of it. Nicely done.

Jake
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #7
First, thanks.
Secondly, this is sort of a good example of how the 'Guidelines' of composition really derive, not from any objective truth, but are a reduction of the issues that make people like certain pictures.
Clearly, in the 1 or 2 seconds I had to see the shot and take it, I didn't have time to think of all the things that, in retrospect, make it enjoyable.

What I thought was,"Hey, that really looks good and I bet that.....'
What I want is to develop my skills enough that I can make the camera more routinely and successfully capture what I think I see.
 
great tones in this.

Thanks, I would be embarrassed to show the original.
Shooting into the sun made the entire shot flat and really unappealing.

Does it matter what the original looks like? IMO, photography is not simply about taking the picture, but understanding and knowing how to edit it to the way you want. And you did a good job on this one(assuming the original is as bad as you say).

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great capture. I can see plenty of really great compositional aspects and of course, a good subject to field ratio.

And even though you only had a few seconds and maybe didn't think of those things while shooting....there is a lot to be said for being in the right place, at the right time, with the wherewithal to capture a great shot when the world presents you with the opportunity.
 
What I thought was,"Hey, that really looks good and I bet that.....'
What I want is to develop my skills enough that I can make the camera more routinely and successfully capture what I think I see.

Ahhhh...the modesty haha.

I think you've developed those "skills" quite nicely. Sometimes just the ability to see a scene at all is more than what many are able to do. And you do it extremely well on a consistent basis. This is a great shot on too many levels for it to be luck haha.
 
I LOVE this one. I do not care about oil etc, but the way that hose repeats the inverted shape of the bridge is wonderful. The tone is great, the composition is excellent, a very, very good image.
What are these two almost vertical lines close to the second man? I would have cloned it. It looks like a glass reflection.
 
Very nice. Did you by any chance added the blur? It seems like it but great image no matter.
 
Everyone has pretty much said it all. I'll just add another... Great shot Lew. You certainly have the eye and intuition to capture some great shots.
 
thanks
the blur is real, when I get back to my real desktop, I'll post exif
I will look into how removing those vertical lines (marker sticks) but, tbh, I am really sick of editing that one right now.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom