Purchasing a new camera for my Fiancee

RedRage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey y'all.. I've been looking at cameras for a while now for my Fiancee as she is nearing the end of her photography classes.. Was hoping to surprise her with it as a gift and as an upgrade to the camera she is currently using. She is using a Canon PowerShot SX170 IS. I'm going to be honest, I have the slightest clue what to look for.. Although from researching different kinds of cameras and what have you.. I'm at least starting to get a gist of things. I know that what she is using now is a Point & Shoot. I guess I'll just cut to the chase instead of rambling.. I have $250-$350 to spend. She takes quite a bit of animal portraits so 50% of the time, the target of her picture is in motion. I guess what I'm asking is, what would be a practical upgrade from a Canon PowerShot SX170 IS? Thank you in advance.. I'm sure you guys get more than enough posts like this one.

EDIT: In my title, I said new.. I meant this as in.. "New" to her. I have no issues buying used products. Thanks!

Last edited:
For what It's worth.. I've been leaning towards the Canon EOS T3 that comes with the EF-S IS II 18-55mm Lens. I found one brand new for $325 (cheaper yet, used). Would that be a suitable (and practical) upgrade for her?

Short answer, YES. The T3 will be much better then the point and shoot no comparison....bigger sensor, better lenses and its a small sized DSLR just for people that are moving up from a point and shoot, i say go for it.

Besides buying used, you can also look for factory refurbished products.

i.e. Canon EOS Rebel T3 Metallic Gray EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished | Canon Online Store
This one is $360 + tax directly from Canon USA with 1 year limited warranty.

If you have a broken Canon camera or you can find a broken one from your friend or you can pick one up very cheap (like $5), you can contact Canon Loyalty Program and MAY BE able to get up to 20% off the refurbished price.

See here for more details

Edit: According to the POTN post, T3 maybe already off the program. But of course you can give Canon a call (number listed from the link above) and see.

Last edited:
The T3 I found is factory refurbished for $325. Thank you for the help thus far.. It is really appreciated!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back