purchasing D70 question....

Oavatos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
well my only question really is this...i found a website that sells the D70 body for $650us. http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=102119&start=1 and yet my local dealer, or better yet, another or many websites sell it for more, say 800 or 900 for body only... whats the difference and can i feel safe making this purchase...

who out there has purchased a NEW body or kit online and was satisfied... stories pls....

ty

I purchased mine online, but I was very careful about who I purchased it from. There are a few very well known online stores (Freestyle - see banner at the top of the page, Adorama - see link at bottom of this page, B&H and a few others) that have a great reputation and I would absolutely recommend them, but they may be a little more than the one you found. I am unfamiliar with the site you linked.

I don't know if I can find it quickly, but there are a couple of threads floating around this forum that were from people that were very unhappy with purchases they made from less respectable sources.

Verify it is a full USA warranty and be prepared for them to attempt everything under the sun to get you to buy accessories, warranties, or anything else they can make more money off of. Usually, that is how these places make their money after heavily discounting the camera itself.

Bottom line is just be as careful as possible, especially when making a purchase of this size. That is a huge discount over most of the more "respected" sites, so it immediately raises a red flag with me.

I just purchased one last week and the thing I noticed that the ones that were in the $650 price range did not include, for one, and battery among other things. I would call and ask exactly what is included.

Is it a refurb? How much is shipping? Full guarantee? Gray market? And yes, they'll probably want to sell you accessories to make up the initial loss. My .02 pesos...

Check resellerratings.com and similar sites for feedback, keeping in mind many disreputable places actually leave fake feedback to make themselves look better. Sites that sell equipment for significantly less than places like B&H are bait-and-switch scams 99% of the time. Buy from a reputable store like B&H or Adorama. There's a rebate on the D70 body at the moment, and B&H offers it at a very good price.

Oavatos said:
well my only question really is this...i found a website that sells the D70 body for $650us.

If a price is much lower than anything anybody else is offering it's probably worth staying away from. I've heard nothing but bad things about too-good-to-be-true camera deals online.

I'd be quite interested to know how you get on Oavatos, I intend to by the same camera within the next 2-3 months and I've been looking at sites selling it upto £100 less than the competion. Like yourself I am quite suspicious of it.

Keep us posted!

Bryan.

thank u all for input,, but i wonder how many of u actually clinked on the link??? it answers some of your thots and concerns right on the main page....it does come with a full US warranty, no accessories, "everything we sell is brand new", so no, its not refurbished......batteries doesnt really bother me, and they seem to be an in USA company(pls dont take offense to that anyone, im just sayin its good 4 me to buy from a site in US so i dont have all these overseas contacts to be hampered with)...the site says 100% satisfaction guarenteed...and so on, and so on.... so hmm what to do????

yes chase, actually i am calling the 1-800 # tomorrow and speaking personally to an agent to ask these q's..i'll keep u all posted.....

Also keep in mind, that although it is still a really good price, this would imply that the regular price is $100 more, which is a little closer to some of the other better known sites.

11) All prices listed are after applicable manufacturer’s rebates.

Still may just be a good deal, but these are things just to be aware of. :)

Oavatos: Do me a favor, order one and let me know how it goes. A D70 for $650 might get me into a DSLR finally! :) I wish I had some information for you but like the rest, too good to be true usually ends up in pain. However, you may have found the exception - no way to find out unless someone here actually ordered from there. But then again, you could order and be nothing but thrilled and then I order and have nothing but problems. Good luck, if you do buy from there, PM me and let me know how it went or better yet let everyone know and post back to this tread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back