purchasing online

jacsul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good morning,
I have a question, I'm looking to buy a camera online.
Are there any camera stores online that I should avoid buying from?
I'm going to purchase an Olympus E 620 w/ 2 lens kit.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jack

Good morning,
Thanks
Jack

I've been dealing with B&H since before the Internet existed and I've found them to be exceptionally ethical.

Just keep it to a reputable store and not some random guy with a website or ebay store. Also, don't waste your time with any "package" deals that come with 57 items plus a free bonus. Just about everything in those is crap that's thrown together to make it seem like an amazing deal.

I'd recommend Adorama, B&H Photo and places like that.

There are countless sites that will show you the lowest prices...but then do their best to screw you over. The typical scam is that when you place your order, they want you to call and confirm. Once then get you on the phone, they give you the high pressure 'hard' sell...trying to add things like cords, instruction manual, battery...that are usually included. Or they might try to sell you overpriced accessories etc. They might even pull the bait & switch for something else.

If you don't play their game (or maybe even if you do), the item you ordered will be suddenly back-ordered. They wait until you get fed up enough to call them, then they give you the hard sell all over again.

One way to help gauge a place it to check it's rating on sites like Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping

My philosophy is that it's best to either shop locally or use the biggest photo stores....B&H and Adorama.

Good morning,
Thanks
Jack

I've been dealing with B&H since before the Internet existed and I've found them to be exceptionally ethical.
I haven't been doing business with them nearly as long as Plato, but I can second his opinion, with the business that I have done with them.

J.:mrgreen:

B&H and Adorama :thumbup::thumbup:

I've also purchased from Adorama and have had no complaints. For me, however, the B&H web site is easier to navigate.

We agree with you about our website; we just migrated to Endeca and are in the midst of fine tuning it. So it should be a whole lot easier very soon.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

i've bought some stuff from adorama B&M and they seem good... i bought and returned 4 different photo bags before i found one i liked and they didn't give me any problems...

some of their salesmen are a bit rough/pushy but u don't have to worry about that online!

I've only bought from B&H (and Best Buy, but I won't get into that) and they were amazing to deal with.

I've also purchased from Adorama and have had no complaints. For me, however, the B&H web site is easier to navigate.

We agree with you about our website; we just migrated to Endeca and are in the midst of fine tuning it. So it should be a whole lot easier very soon.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

I have found that both your store and your competitor further downtown are quite ethical. I have no qualms about purchasing from either organization.

B&H totally rock. Everything I've ordered has been delivered within 2 days and I've never paid shipping. Top notch service.

I agree with the B+H comments but shop around for the deals. I bought my D700 on Amazon and that went to Adorama and the orice was the best I coulsd find. The main thing you have to remember is everyone's price is going to be pretty close, if you find someone that is cheaper by A TON run in the other direction as fast as you can. The old saying applies "If it sounds too good to be true it probably is". There are deals to be had out there but as I said most people's prices are pretty competitive but sometimes you get lucky and someone is having a sale on just the piece of kit you have been looking for. One last thing STAY AWAY FROM NON USA WARRANTY, prices are generally lower for items with no US warranty and trhat is for a reason so whatever you do make sure you are getting a US warrantied model.

Most reactions

Back