qestions

Jus7 A Phas3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D80 and im thinking about getting an sb600 and i am into skateboard photography and i heard that if you use the sb600 i can shoot up to 500 shutter speed and i was wondering if this is ture, also do i have to use the pop of flash to trigger the off camrea flashes or can i use it with out the pop up flash? and is 500 fast enough to freeze motion in the day time?

i dont know the specifics on that flash, but if your shooting outdoors you dont really need a flash that much, yes?
and no, the popup flash doesnt have to be up, as long as its connected to the camera via hotshoe or an external flash cable itll flash when you hit the shutter
but if u use a flash and it fully illuminates the subject it will probably freeze the motion at a lower shutter anyway, so you may not even need 500

i dont know the specifics on that flash, but if your shooting outdoors you dont really need a flash that much, yes?
and no, the popup flash doesnt have to be up, as long as its connected to the camera via hotshoe or an external flash cable itll flash when you hit the shutter
but if u use a flash and it fully illuminates the subject it will probably freeze the motion at a lower shutter anyway, so you may not even need 500
Pretty much completely missed the mark..

Here are plenty of examples where flash has been used in broad daylight, all the shots i posted were in the late morning and mid afternoon. It's also a great explanation why 1/500th of a second is useful.

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1211866#post1211866

When you're shooting outdoors, flash can be used as fill for the shadows, and if it's off camera, can even be used as the key.

Yes, the pop up needs to be up if you want to command an SB-600 off camera, it does not have to be connected by any cable using the D70/80/200/300.

The D80 doesn't sync at 1/500th, only 1/200th which is REALLY pushing it for freezing action without halo's, if not impossible. you need 1/500th to control your ambient exposure and flash power. If you want 1/500th, you need a D1/40/50 or 70.

Could i shott at like 250 or something lower then 500 to freeze motion with out getting halo's?

As he said... you could, but it is really pushing it. It all depends on several factors.

Theres a limit and once you go over it you picture goes black at the bottom and this goes up higher and higher as you increase the speed.

I recommend you just buy and older flash like the sb-28 and use cactus v.2 triggers. This is a great setup. Check out my action shots flickr for some examples of what this can do.

I have a D80 and im thinking about getting an sb600 and i am into skateboard photography and i heard that if you use the sb600 i can shoot up to 500 shutter speed and i was wondering if this is ture
Yes it's true, but... It only does that in a special mode "FP Sync" or whatever it's called, you have to specifically enable it on your D80, and you only have very limited flash power, and it's enormously inefficient so you'll go through batteries real quick.

also do i have to use the pop of flash to trigger the off camrea flashes or can i use it with out the pop up flash?
You can remote trigger the SB-600 with the pop-up flash, but then you're limited back at the default flash sync of the camera of 1/200s. If you want to maintain 1/500s sync while triggering things remotely you'd probably need either an SU-800 Commander or an SB-800. Nikon's Creative Lighting System is complicated and very poorly documented, so I'm not sure if you can get a 1/500s mode with an external SB-600 triggered via an SU-800. If you don't need on-camera flash and your remote flash is going to be close enough, you can use an SC-28 or SC-29 cable as well and still use the 1/500s "FP" mode.

and is 500 fast enough to freeze motion in the day time?
For skateboard stuff, I would think so yes.

So with the sb 800 i can shoot at 1/500th and not have to use any slaves or pc cords? and jimmy is there any misfires with those slaves and can i only shoot at 200 which is my camears max sync speed?

You can remote trigger the SB-600 with the pop-up flash, but then you're limited back at the default flash sync of the camera of 1/200s.
That's true only if you're using the pop-up for illumination. If you turn the illumination off and use only the monitor pre-flash for the commander signaling, the SB-600 will support FP mode.

So with the sb 800 i can shoot at 1/500th and not have to use any slaves or pc cords? and jimmy is there any misfires with those slaves and can i only shoot at 200 which is my camears max sync speed?

No way around your cameras top sync speed.

Not many misfires. Most of the ones i have are when my flash goes into stand by and i go to shoot and it doesnt go, haha.

no where around as i can shoot alot faster or alot slower ha? im thinking about getting them im just not sure i want to know all about them before i get them, you know

Most reactions

Back