Quasi-abstract portrait

Sharkbait

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.whitesharkphoto.com
This was actually taken last summer on vacation. One of my summer vacation goals is to learn a LOT more about photoshop, so I'm getting a bit of a head start. I started playing with layers tonight for the first time ever. :-D

Cancun00-501_edited_RS.jpg

One of my summer vacation goals is to learn a LOT more about photoshop, so I'm getting a bit of a head start. I started playing with layers tonight for the first time ever.

Hey shark, what a coincidence. You're aim is to spend more time investigating PhotoShop. Since your advice for me in a previous thread, my aim is to pay more attention to my photography and spend less time with the "funky photoshop stuff".

I adore your quasi-abstract portrait. The eye is righteous.

Can you explain your technique for processing the iris? Did you use the Hard Light Mode and Overlay Mode in conjucntion with 50% gray fill?

Shark that is an amazing photo! I love the composition and the eye, OH THE EYE! its great yo!

As rebel asked, please share the details!

Thanks for sharing

I guess my overall theory when it comes to photoshop is to use it to enhance a photo. To bring things out, not alter. (I hope I didn't come across too harsh in that other thread, rebel. I certainly didn't mean to (especially when we shoot the same camera!)!)

Anyhoo, here was my process for this one...

1. Convert entire frame to b&w, then adjust contrast/brightness
2. New layer, soften using gausian blur, erase eye and nostrils with very soft-edged brush
3. New layer from original background, USM quite a bit, erase everything but iris of eye

The overall effect is the iris of the eye is super-sharpened, the area around the eye is 'normal', and the rest is blurred a bit. My goal was to draw the viewer from the edges of the frame into the eye. I may go back and basically replicate this with a color version, as Kel has the most fantastic green eyes. I might end up with some color problems sharpening the iris like I did though. Something to play around with! :) My technique's still not perfect--there's an area directly under the eye that I just noticed that didn't get into that softened layer, and consequently has some relatively harsh detail that the surrounding area doesn't have.

But overall, I like the way this one turned out. I think this one might just get a frame on the wall at home. :-D

(I hope I didn't come across too harsh in that other thread, rebel. I certainly didn't mean to (especially when we shoot the same camera!)!)

Your remarks didn't in the least offend me. They were like a flash bulb that went off in my brain. I could have yelled "UREKA". At that moment, I realized that simpler is better and a simple well executed shot is far better than mediocre shot with a flamboyant PS makover.

ThanX again, man!

canonrebel said:
(I hope I didn't come across too harsh in that other thread, rebel. I certainly didn't mean to (especially when we shoot the same camera!)!)

Your remarks didn't in the least offend me. They were like a flash bulb that went off in my brain. I could have yelled "UREKA". At that moment, I realized that simpler is better and a simple well executed shot is far better than mediocre shot with a flamboyant PS makover.

ThanX again, man!

Okay good. I'm always afraid to point out things I think could be improved; afraid I'll piss people off or something.

BTW, that's an excellent description of your 'eureka' moment. :thumbsup: I was the same way--always putting borders and big titles and stuff around my shots (not that that stuff doesn't work sometimes, I just feel like my work now does better w/o it).

Couple of specific questions I have regarding this shot (I'm thinking I probably should have put this in the critique forum, as I really want honest, pick-it-apart commentary on it. If some admin wants to move it over there, I wouldn't be offended ;) ). I think this shot is one of my best ever, but I want to make it perfect.

1. The crop, especially on the right side of the frame. Is it distracting to have that tiny bit of eye and/or the corner of the nose cropped off? Unfortunately, that's full-frame, so my only recourse would be to crop it further left. Would down the middle of the nose be a better crop?

2. Being as this was my first experiment with using layers, I know it's not perfect (for example, there's some hard detail left in just under the eye). But someone more trained in PS than me...is this done okay?

3. The eye--should I whiten the white a bit more and lose that small vein? It's not really noticeable in this size, but I'm thinking about making this a 13x19 print for the wall, where it would definitely show up.

4. I'm not a huge fan of partially colored photos, but I wonder how this one would look with just the iris of the eye colored back in--Kel's got awesome green eyes.

1. The crop, especially on the right side of the frame. Is it distracting to have that tiny bit of eye and/or the corner of the nose cropped off? Unfortunately, that's full-frame, so my only recourse would be to crop it further left. Would down the middle of the nose be a better crop?
IMHO, the overwhelming prescence of the visible eye distracts from any flaws in the right margin crop. The iris is the main attraction for me in this photo.

2. Being as this was my first experiment with using layers, I know it's not perfect (for example, there's some hard detail left in just under the eye). But someone more trained in PS than me...is this done okay?
The "Patch Tool" would blend the texture and color with the surrounding area.

3. The eye--should I whiten the white a bit more and lose that small vein? It's not really noticeable in this size, but I'm thinking about making this a 13x19 print for the wall, where it would definitely show up.

The white in the eye is fine. Whiten it too much and it'll look fake. Remember that part of her eye is in shadow and shouldn't be disturbed. Usually a very subtle blue-off-white cast makes an eye appear to be more realistic.
The blood vessel absolutely has to go. the "Patch Tool" could eliminate the blood vessel and also the two stray eye lashes.

4. I'm not a huge fan of partially colored photos, but I wonder how this one would look with just the iris of the eye colored back in--Kel's got awesome green eyes.
Irises have subtle black borders that separate them from the whites of the eyes. The 10 O'clock area of this irise's border would probably look better if it were thinner and more semetric

Remember that the ideas expressed here are merely things to try and not necessarily things to change.

Oh, and fwiw, I thought this was really cool. Here's just the eye, blown up so you can see the detail. This was taken on a 3rd floor balcony of our hotel room overlooking the ocean in Cancun. You can see me leaning over (silouetted), you can see the railing from the balcony, and you can see the surfline, all naturally reflected in Kel's eye. :thumbsup:

Cancun00-501_eyeonly.jpg

Shark, That is a brilliant make over of the iris.

Will you share your technique for adding the color to the iris? I know and use several different ways to accentuate the colors of the iris, but the technique you've used here is probably one that I'm not aware of.

canonrebel said:
Shark, That is a brilliant make over of the iris.

Will you share your technique for adding the color to the iris? I know and use several different ways to accentuate the colors of the iris, but the technique you've used here is probably one that I'm not aware of.

Sure. Basically I started completely over with the original color file for this 2nd version. I wanted to clean up the white of the eye, so I did that first. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how I did it yet, as I just followed a step-by-step from this book I've got, The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. It has to do with creating a screen layer or something. I kind of screwed up the lower eyelid on it a bit--lightened it too much.

As far as the iris itself, I tried a couple of different things, but eventually backtracked and found this mehod: When I did the layer to super-sharpen the iris, instead of copying the b&w layer, I copied the original color background layer. Then I adjusted the colors to saturate it more (the color is actually pretty natural, just more saturation). Finally, did a very strong USM filter and erased everything around the iris. That was the easiest way I found to do it anyway.

So real quick, here's basically what I did, leaving out that goofy eye-whitening thing:

1. copy color background layer
1b. convert to b&w, adjust contrast/brightness
2. copy b&w layer
2b. apply gausian blur to smooth the face and add more DOF
2c. erase the gausian blur layer around the eye, eyebrow, and nostrils
3. copy color layer
3a. adjust saturation to enhance iris color
3b. apply strong USM
3c. erase everything but the iris
4. added the text layer for the copyright text.

Don't know if that's the easiest way to do it, but that's how it got done here. :D :thumbsup:

One last edit for tonight. I realized that in the color version I didnt' like the way the reflections in the iris looked on the regular version (still cool to see in the 200% blowup!), so I got wild and crazy with PS and removed my silouette and the railing reflection.

Cancun00-501_edit-3_RS.jpg

Amazing picture. Here is my input from the average joe(because I know nothing) the very top of her nose looks kind of blurry. Really cool picture though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back