Question About Prime Lenses

Last edited:
stepheneastwood-tile1.jpg

Very nice example of how perspective changes distortion, independent of the lens used. The shown efffect is only dependent on the distance between subject and camera, not upon the lens used.
Actually the effect remains constant, the ability of the observer to detect the difference is dependent on the distance between subject and camera.
Exactly, you can get the same effect with a single prime and cropping. Back in the bad old days of film, all I had was my SRT201 and my 50mm 1.7. I would set my lens to f/2.8, shoot my portrait with the camera in the horizontal position centering the head and shoulder top to bottom, and then crop to vertical. The perspective was always perfect.

bryanwstai said:
SNIP what do people think about the 24-70mm 2.8 zoom lens the first poster suggested? Will 2.8 still produce a decent bokeh?

Huge, overly-long lens that scares people off, or makes them think you are some kiund of a perv. Average optics compared to single focal lenght lenses. The long end of 70mm is NOT quite long enough to really give a tele-look. Heavy. Bulky. A lens that screams, "Look at th giuy with the BIG lens and the tiny *****!" Seriously...this is a lens category that's guaranteed to give you lots of average images. it's "safe".

The 24-85mm lenses Nikon has made? There have been several, made in various eras. The last two models in AF-S (the most-recent being a kit zoom with VR for the D600 at first) are much smaller than the 24-70/2.8 models, and more easy to carry, less-threatening,less-obnoxiuous to subjects, and better for walkaround use. The difference between 70 and 85mm is fairly noticeable.

I'd ease up on the bokeh issue. And as for bokeh...the 24-70 models have average bokeh. Not very pretty.

On crop-body cameras a 24-70 is an odd bird.

Derrel is right on the 24-70. I would not use these drastic words but the lens is a picture machine. Safe, reliable, fast AF, sharp, contrasty ... IMO no charme.

Like a HiFi component with rather cool analytical sound. That is why newspaper people love the lens. It delivers. Not more. Not less. The charme you might add in post.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, really appreciate it, I think I've finally found a forum to stay and be a part of :)

I'll be getting the Nikkor AS-F 50mm f/1.8G as posted in my link a few posts above!

First let me point out that I am not necessarily disagreeing with Derrel's points on the 24-70, rather offering a different experience. I own the 24-70 (canon) and use it quite a bit on my crop sensor body as well as my ff body with no difficulties. I don't find it to be odd in my hands. Perhaps that it because I am used to from my film days switching from MF to 35mm and back. With the 24-70 my brain just goes into compensation mode and my feet just put me where I need to be, even if it is a bit different from what most people consider "standard" working distance.

As to the quality of the Nikon 24-70, that I can not comment on. My film days were centered around Nikon F's & F2's and Pentax 6X7's. Digitally I shoot Canon.

The point of this is, don't fall into the trap that everything is rigidly structured. There is no one standard working distance. Sure portraits with a 400mm f2.8 can be a little exasperating. But for some shoots with college athletes I have used it as we were outside and the results we outstanding. Besides no one minded the bit of yelling it took to give directions in that environment.

A 50mm f/1.8 on a cropped sensor served me well for portraits for a while, but to be honest, I much prefer an 85mm focal length for portraits, even on a crop sensor camera. I know you weren't asking about 85mm, but if you can get one instead of a 50mm, I think you should.

I know you weren't asking about 85mm, but if you can get one instead of a 50mm, I think you should.

Hi Dan! Thanks for suggesting this lens :)
Why do you prefer the 85 over the 50? Are there any advantages as compared to the other?

Cheers,
Bryan.

I know you weren't asking about 85mm, but if you can get one instead of a 50mm, I think you should.

Hi Dan! Thanks for suggesting this lens :)
Why do you prefer the 85 over the 50? Are there any advantages as compared to the other?

Cheers,
Bryan.
The 85mm focal length has a way of compressing the background in a way that is very flattering for portraits.

Something else that I like about the 85 prime is that (in the f/1.8 version), it's a really small and lightweight lens. It's kind of refreshing to use that lens compared to the 70-200/2.8 when set to the same focal length for various situations.

For the first shot a larger DOF is required anyway
Can someone explain this please.

If you want to have the legs, the arms and the head of the model in focus, you have to increase depth of field, so you close the aperture to 8 or 11.

In that case it is not terribly important if the largest aperture available is 1.4 or 5.6.

If you want only the eyes in focus and the rest unsharp / blurred then a wide aperture like 1.4 is better for you.

I consider the 50mm to be very... beige. Not too pretty and lacks any seasoning. IMO, the 85mm as Dan mentioned, at least adds salt and pepper to the dish.

I consider the 50mm to be very... beige

Hey kundalini, thanks for the reply :) The reason I'm getting a 50mm now is because i'm currently using a DX camera. I figured when I upgrade to the FX I would buy a 85mm then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back