Question regarding Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Zoolfoos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All!

Nothing I've read so far suggests that the Canon Speedlite 580EX II has built in support for wireless RF triggering. Can someone verify this for me? I shoot Canon and I'm kind of looking for something that does.... it's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice if I didn't also have to get an RF receiver.

I'm not wild about IR and optical slave triggering. I want to be able to fire a flash that's behind something and/or possibly out of range of optical/IR. I don't have much experience with multi-flash setups, so advice is welcome as well.

Thanks!!

None of Canon's flash units have any RF technology. If you want RF, you will have to use another device.

The 580EX does have built-in IR technology...which allows for off camera use and control (you need a master and a slave unit). The big benefit of this is that you can keep E-TTL metering.
With RF triggering, you don't get to keep E-TTL metering and HSS etc.

There is a new product from Radio Popper, that piggy backs the IR signal with RF...so that you can keep E-TTL and all the control of IR...but with RF range and reliability.

Check out http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/ for all things 'off camera flash'

Mike -

Thanks so much for the advice. That Radio Popper device looks really good (although pricey), and that lighting blog also has a lot of great info. I appreciate it.

Yeah, I'm switching from an off-brand flash. The Canon flash unit wasn't really on the top of my shopping list in the past, but now I've saved my pennies and I might as well be using E-TTL capabilities if I'm going to spend upwards of $400 per unit (ugh).....

Some people like E-TTL and some don't. Using manual flash control is consistent, which can't always be said for E-TTL. Many of the pro shooters that I know...use 550/580 units and Pocket Wizards. Some may be trying out the Radio Poppers now though...not only for E-TTL...but for HSS (the ability to use shutter speeds faster than the camera's max sync speed.

There are a few threads around here, that detail and break down the different options....so try the search feature.

For anyone else coming along this thread who might be interested (and like me has just heard of "radiopopper" for the first time).....

I found a pretty good article about it. I think there's one on strobist.blogspot.com as well....

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/03/radipopper-smar.html

Most reactions

New Topics

Back