What's new

Quick Question

MTVision

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Aug 1, 2011
Messages
3,008
Reaction score
527
Location
Vermont, US
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon D5100 which is a "cropped" body right? I am planning on buying a prime lens tomorrow but am a little confused. 50mm is a great lens because it is how our eyes see (no distortion). Is the 50mm really going to be 50mm on my camera? I'm not sure if I'm right but I read somewhere that the 50mm will really be 72mm on a cropped body - but I might be wrong.

Which is a better prime lens for a beginner; the 50mm f/1.8 or the 35mm f/1.8? I know you all have probably heard this question a million times so I'm sorry.
 
Your crop-sensor camera has a 1.5x focal length "conversion", so your 50mm will give you the equivalent field of view of a 75mm lens on a full-frame camera. Likewise your 35mm will give a FoV of a 52mm lens on a full-frame body. The 50mm lens is/was considered a 'normal' lens on a full-frame body because it provided a similar viewpoint to the human eye. On a crop-body, the 35mm prime will provide a similar view. There really is no 'better' lens; it's all about what you want, and what works for you. If you're an old film shooter and want a similar view to your old 50mm, than go for the 35mm. If you want a slight telephoto effect, go for the 50.
 
50mm is always 50mm...that won't change if you put it on a 'crop body' camera.

What does change, is the field of view. On your camera, the FOV will be similar to a 75mm lens on a 35mm film camera. So if you are used to using a film camera, you might be surprised. But if you aren't used to using a 35mm camera...then it won't matter one little bit. The 'crop factor' is just a comparison back to the old standard (35mm film).
 
Is the 35mm f/1.8 af-s as good as the 50mm f/1.8g af-s. The store I'm going to doesn't carry the 50mm that will autofocus on my d5100. I'm just looking for a decent prime
 
Is the 35mm f/1.8 af-s as good as the 50mm f/1.8g af-s. The store I'm going to doesn't carry the 50mm that will autofocus on my d5100. I'm just looking for a decent prime

they're different lenses. their build quality is pretty similar, but i guess it all comes down to which focal length you like better with the crop factor
 
Never bought a lens the other day. Is the 50mm f/1.4g a better lens than the cheaper 50mm? Does it too have the lateral chromatic aberration? Are prime lenses worth the money?
 
Last edited:
Keith, You are really a prime lover.
I just bought a 35mm f1.8. I will compare it with my 18-200mm. Know there will be a quality difference. Want to see how big it gonna be.
After play at 35mm&50mm with my 18-200mm for couple days, I pickup 35mm instead of 50mm.
 
I read a million reviews of the 3 prime lenses. Some were contradictory and I wanted to hear what someone had to say about their prime lenses. I ended up with the 50mm af-s f/1.4 which has some issues like distortion but compared to my kit lenses - it's amazing! I'm extremely happy with it! Thank you to everyone who gave me advice and suggestions!
 
I also picked up some books I've heard good things about on here. Understanding exposure (my library had it but it went missing a year ago), another book by Bryan peterson about seeing creatively, Scott kelbys Photoshop cs5 and the first volume of his digital photography series!
 
Bump
for whidds to read
 
thank you... still really struggling to know the difference between the af-s 35mm and af-s 50mm
also.. why did you go with the more expensive f1.4 50mm?
thank you for your help
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom