Quick Question

rell804

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, i have a Canon T3 with the Lens that comes with it, 18-55....I will be taking pictures of Cars for few guys at random spots in the City. My question is, what setting should i put camera on to Focus on the car and the background?? Also, what lens would be good to buy to make these types of pictures turnout better?? Thanks

I do not believe there is a setting for car photography. It all depends on the situation and condition. The settings for 5am shooting should be different than 12pm. Sunny day should be different then overcast day. Natural light only vs artificial lights and ... .....

Since you are new to your camera, I suggest you start learning how to use the camera first. Read the manual that shipped with the camera (or download it from Canon Site). Maybe browse some books in Book store or library. Check out the tutorial thread in here as well.

Do you mean that you want the car and the background in sharp focus? If so, then you want a large depth of field, or more area in focus. Depth of field is an effect (primarily) of the lense's aperture and focal length. The smaller the aperture (larger f #) and shorter the focal length, the more area will be in focus. You can go here to learn more. Aside from that generality, "settings" are so situation dependant that it's really hard to give you and guidance. If you could provide a link to an image that you would like to emulate, perhaps more help could be provided.

An important consideration for car photos is the lighting.

Having an background that doesn't steal attention from the car is also important.

Actually, cars aren't all that easy to make photos of, because of their size and all the reflective surfaces they have.

Last edited:
You can take a picture of a car however you want. You will probably want to learn the basics of photography and composition.

I would recommend getting a tripod. Cars are a popular subject for HDR and long exposures so it would be worth it to get a decent tripod.

Take a look at post processing, Adobe is the industry leader, but by no means is the only player.

Have fun learning.

Thanks Tiredron, thats kinda what i was asking and needed to know. I do have a tripod with my Camera. I know the camera doesnt have a Car Setting, im not that retarded. I also have been using my camera taking numerous photos just trying all the settings and changing things, seeing what the differences is. So no need for the dumb remarks. Just Saying...........i have a picture i took that didnt turn out great that i will post.

IMG_4587.jpg

Handheld shot I assume? At a quarter second exposure you would have to have Rigor Mortis to get a clear shot. I'd probably move so that the car took up more of the frame, the way the subject is positioned leaves it in a sort of no mans land between a profile shot and a 3/4s shot. Next up, lighting...it's too harsh, to small, producing really hard shadows (i.e. the mirror). That's a tough one to fix at that location without some extra equipment. It's also producing a really weird color contrast between the sharp white lights in the foreground and the yellow/orange (sodium I think) lights in the background.

On the plus side, you found a pretty cool location to shoot a car. Given the lighting situation there, it will be really tough to get quality shots at night. If the car park aint to crowded, hit it in the morning or afternoon when there's a few clouds in the sky to give you really even soft light. There was a thread just this week on this very issue that had some good stuff in it:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/307299-car-photography-background.html

I think one of the big things in that thread is to see how the car is framed, usually a 3/4s shot. It's sort of the classic for a car. And check out this one, a stellar example of car photography:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-gallery/305124-2006-pontiac-gto-red-goat.html

Most reactions

Back