Quick Release Camera Strap?

Lambo77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I love to hate my camera strap. Pretty much a necessity when walking around, but it always seems to get in the way when i'm shooting. Especially when held vertically. Anyone ever seen any kind of quick release strap?

I bought a Tamrac strap with quick releases mostly to get that big yellow billboard off my neck but it does work pretty well to pop off the straps when on a tripod or around the house.

I use the Tamrac straps Trever1t refers to. They're long enough to allow you to put the strap over your head and carry the camera at your side.

yes, I can carry both ways. I did look at that Black Rapid strap too, looks like a killer unit. How secure is that mount, it doesn't unscrew in use?

+ 1 for Blackrapid, bit pricey but does the job very well!

I would be paranoid that it would unscrew and drop my camera... but if that was the case they would probably be out of business by now

I too looked at the R Strap, it does look great but I like to have may camera strap around my neck if I'm carrying a ruck sack etc, the camera doesn't look quite so secure and I like to keep my tripod plate attached.

Hard to get in the UK but I guess until they change the name they'll struggle to find a distributor.:blushing:

I tried the R strap. The attachment system on mine is rock solid, and folks that always keep a tripod quick connect use the D ring to connect to the strap. I have an F3 + motor drive and D90. My problem is the rig tends to swing back and forth. I think for weddings and sports using 2 bodies (wide and tele) it's a great idea. For me using 1 body and shooting more static object I much prefer my Tarmac strap. As mentioned above it's long enough that I can carry it over my shoulder and when I want to use my tripod I can unclick the middle part of the strap and click the 2 ends together, it also makes a usable hand strap using just the ends.

Bruce

Consider the OPTech Neckstraps as well - these are regular neckstraps with a wide padding (the pro series have a wider padding band which helps a lot with heavier lenses) band which makes them very comfortable. Further they have two clips which let you remove the main body of the strap when not needed - the remaining arms on the camera are then able to connect together to help keep them out of the way.

Overall I find it great because you can slip it on and off quickly and easily and the padding on the strap is infinity better than the rubbishy canon default strap.

Mzungu strap might be a good alternative for your needs.

It detaches and attaches quickly and easily with carabiners.

Much less expensive and doesn't attach to the tripod socket, but to the regular neck strap attachment point on the camera. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the BR, like pockets and shoulder pads and all, but it's very functional and, with a little DIY, you could add all that kind of stuff to it pretty cheap if you really wanted to (I don't).

I've been using the Mzungu for probably about two years, and haven't found a need or want to go to the BR straps. I've used it with Canon 40D, 7D, 5DMKII and all lenses up to 100-400mm on it, with no issues at all. It works great for me.

I have the BlackRapid RS-7 and love it! My D300 with the 70 - 200 hangs just fine and is there when I need it.

I have a BlackRapid style strap. It isnt from BlackRapid but it is very similar. I use it exclusively and have traveled all over the world with it. It is currently connected to a 7d with battery grip, a 24-105, and a 430exii. It is sturdy as can be and very very useful. I would recommend putting a hood on any long lens you have on since it is easy for it to bump into stuff as it hangs on you side. I also upgraded to the below mount. It has a rubber gasket they once toightened prevents the mount from coming loose. Mine has never loosened up at all.

FastenR-2 » BlackRapid.com

just got the black rapid RS-7 and attach using my tripod plate. The only thing I wish it had was a "quick clip" to secure it to a belt loop or something while walking around

just got the black rapid RS-7 and attach using my tripod plate. The only thing I wish it had was a "quick clip" to secure it to a belt loop or something while walking around

That is a great idea. I am going to see what i can come up with for a solution to that when I get home tonight.

I have found with the Quick strap that when you lean over or move around a lot that the camera can really start swinging free. A "quick clip" could be a great fix for that problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back