r u a scientist or an artist?

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
as i was falling asleep last night, i was thinking about this forum (yes, i have a life, but photography really is my passion and i very much enjoy this forum!) and i was thinking about all the interesting topics posted here. my line of thought then shifted, and i was thinking about photography itself, and how it is an art as well as a science. i began to think about my own strengths and weaknesses, and concluded i can claim more strength on the art side, less on the science. i am not yet very good at the technical aspects of my craft, but i am getting there (with help from you guys!). so, my question: are you more of a scientist (excellent with the technical aspects) or more of an artist (you "got the eye") or a wonderful balance of both (my ultimate goal)?

Coming from a computer rendering background, I'm very technically based. Framing and composing an image correctly (or more to the point well) is something that I admit I am lacking in. But I'm working on it :D

ahh, i agree. i definitly come from more of the artistic background, and the science aspect of it frustrated me at first. however, i never really stop learning and all the different processes come in really useful when i'm in the darkroom.

photography is addicting.

I can't even begin to think of what to answer with except I'm for suremon the artistic side...

In school I was half and halfg because I had to deal with all that scientific stuff in my assignments and my reports. I had to try and think/be both ways.

i'd say the most important thing for me is having the "eye" .. artistic side... i got my hubby for all the other stuff :p ... i dont think i want to keep in thought the technical stuff...

its funny u should mention this, my hubby was telling me a story the other day of a web designer doing something revolutionary and creative, as time went on.... the more technical he got, the less interesting his work became ....

i want to know the basics, but i want to leave the composing up to my warped brain cells :p ... sort of in a twisted sense :D

found this way back in the ol archives tonight, good one toby! didn't realise you have been on this forum for so long :D

basically i am trying to find the balance- i started out artistically, then swayed to the technical but having a knowledge of both is quite important. For creative and technical people, getting area of their comfort zone, ie their area of expertise is a big problem. I am constantly challenging myself to get out of my comfort zone, not only in photography but in all areas of my life!

lol, yeah i am a computer programmer with an artistic soul - but I don't find any contradictions though some people would! Well, I got in computers just because I was deathly afraid them so I forced myself to learn and they ain't so bad now!

Both, although I call the combination artist/scientist a "craftsman" (or craftswoman).

Right now I'd say I'm more of an artist, but the alternative photographic processes fascinate me so much, I can see myself getting drawn more to the science of it. Everything I've read gets extremely technical as more chemistry gets involved; and I'm totally wanting to try some because I love the effects.

:D

terri said:
Right now I'd say I'm more of an artist, but the alternative photographic processes fascinate me so much, I can see myself getting drawn more to the science of it. Everything I've read gets extremely technical as more chemistry gets involved; and I'm totally wanting to try some because I love the effects.

I think alternative processes are a great example of how the two aspects combine. I think of gum bichromates, cyanotypes, pin hole images, polaroid manipulations, etc... as very artsy, but as you pointed out, there is a whole lot of science there too.

For me it's both. Learning the technical side allows me to produce an image that I see in my head.

I did know one old guy (he was a high school science teacher) who was way into the scientific/technical side of photography. His photographs were horrible composition and subject-wise, but he took them with cameras and film he made himself. He refurbed old cameras, and tried all different kinds of processing. He had stacks and stacks of notebooks filled with articles and his own experiments. He could care less about the actual picture or any thoughts of art; it was the process that fascinated him.

right now id say more artistic because of my lack of knowledge about different photo techniques and stuff. Ill see something and know exactly how i want it to come out but my lack of knowledge restricts me. Hopefully if and when i go to some sort of photo school this will change

Guess I must confess of being both. By trade being an artist yet aspiring to learn computer programming. Sort of Vonnagy in reverse... :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back