Radio Slaves

Dominik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I want to buy something like the Pocket Wizard, but I can't find a price within my budget. My maximum right now for radio slaves are $100 and I want to know if anyone recommends any good slaves that are just or almost as reliable as a pocket wizard! Thank you!

Check out my photos at: DominikMPhoto on deviantART

I can pretty much guess how this is going to go, some will say if you want "just as good as" then get the real thing, others will chime in with cheap brand X recommendations with claims of years of faultless service, and still others will come with remarks of utter disgust with cheap "as good as" brands.

There will always be a balance act to do in terms of price/features/quality, regardless of price point. However there is some truth to the saying "You get what you pay for." So read all the threads on all of the forums and at the end of the process you are the one who will have to make a decision on how to spend your money.

Do a search, and pick what you want - all depends on budget and how you feel about risk.

radio flash triggers | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a PW person myself, but I have heard lots of good reports on both the Cactus V5 and the newer Yongnuo triggers for consumer service.

The best alternative to PocketWizard for $100 is not an alternative. It's the PocketWizard Plus X. I don't recommend other brands if you need reliability. But be honest about why you need radios vs. why you want them. The built-in IR systems in Nikon and Canon flashes can work wonders. Try them.

The best alternative to PocketWizard for $100 is not an alternative. It's the PocketWizard Plus X. I don't recommend other brands if you need reliability. But be honest about why you need radios vs. why you want them. The built-in IR systems in Nikon and Canon flashes can work wonders. Try them.

I'm going into skateboarding photography. And I don't plan on buying any Nikon flashes since I can't afford it just yet.

Look at the Yongnuo triggers on Amazon. Make sure you select the right model for your camera. A set of triggers runs about $35. true, they are not PW's but for the price you get a great set of triggers to begin learning.

Look at the Yongnuo triggers on Amazon. Make sure you select the right model for your camera. A set of triggers runs about $35. true, they are not PW's but for the price you get a great set of triggers to begin learning.

I have cowboy studio and I'm not that happy with them

What's the problem you're encountering with them?

They randomly fire out shots out of nowhere or when I'm trying to adjust my flash to a new position. So I have to wait until it recharges. It also feels like my flash is just going to fall right off :( I guess it's ok since I paid so little for them. I'm going to find out if I can use other receivers for my transmitter and then just buy a more stable receiver

I'm confused. What does Cowboy Studio have to do with Yongnuo triggers?

They randomly fire out shots out of nowhere or when I'm trying to adjust my flash to a new position. So I have to wait until it recharges.
Haven't had that happen to me with the Yongnuos. I use up to 8 of them.

It also feels like my flash is just going to fall right off :(
What kind of speedlights do you have? All mine have a locking mechanism on them to secure them to hotshoe and coldshoe feet, which the Yongnuo triggers provide.

Here's something I started cooking up earlier today that might help those who'd like to help you or others:

Some typical questions/considerations for folks looking for a radio triggering system:

• The most I can spend right now is: $_________________
  • I need to be able to trigger this many lights: _______________
  • For what I want to shoot, my lights may be up to this far from the camera: ______________
  • I want to be able to trigger: Speed Lights | Studio Strobes | Either/Both
  • I must be able to use TTL (choose one): Yes | No | I don't know what TTL is
  • The triggers need to have a PC Sync Port: Yes | No | I don't know what a PC Sync Port is
  • I don't mind finding, buying and using odd-sized batteries (choose one): Yes | No
  • It's important to me that gear-snobs not make fun of me for using lower-priced gear (choose one): Yes | No

Most reactions

Back