RAW + Basic = two JPEGS?

joe123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was trying the raw + basic setting on my D60. When I downloaded the pic it just showed two 600k jpeg files. One was labeled jpeg and the other had no label but when i clicked on the properties it showed it as a jpeg. I know raw(NEF) is normally bigger than 600k so i do not think it is saving it as raw. Am I doing Something wrong?

I could have sworn someone had a similar thread recently but I didn't read it or anything. I'll keep trying to find it...

Do you have software on your computer that can "read" .nef files? (Nikon Capture, Adobe Camera Raw, etc)

I can't find the thread, maybe I was making it up. I think tirediron might be on to something, though.

I have CS4 trial version and photo explosion deluxe. I have not installed anything specific for this calera yet. One thing I noticed is when I shoot in Raw only I see the NEF file but when I shoot in RAW+basic all I see are two JPEGs that are the the same file size.

That was my issue. I was trying to take RAW +JPG Fine and I was getting two JPGs... I'm using a D90, and still haven't figured out what the deal is... I just went with RAW after a while.

I shoot in RAW and JPEG Fine and have had no problems. Even before I had software to support the NEF files It still said they were NEF. I wish I could be more help.

Like Tappout said, it sounds like you may just need a plugin/update for photoshop or ACR in order for it to read your NEF files.

If you install the packaged Nikon software (PicturePerfect or whatever), are you able to see the RAW files?

Did you try to open it in Adobe Photoshop?
If you can open them both in Adobe Photoshop in a normal way it means that you have them both JPEGs file but if one of them open it in a separate dialog box (Camera RAW Editor v.xxx) or window which is most of the RAW file are needed to process it first... then that means it is a RAW file.

PS.
Remember that...
RAW file has a black margin on both of the top and the bottom of the image while the JPEG don't have and it is a full frame.

Did you try to open it in Adobe Photoshop?
If you can open them both in Adobe Photoshop in a normal way it means that you have them both JPEGs file but if one of them open it in a separate dialog box (Camera RAW Editor v.xxx) or window which is most of the RAW file are needed to process it first... then that means it is a RAW file.

PS.
Remember that...
RAW file has a black margin on both of the top and the bottom of the image while the JPEG don't have and it is a full frame.

This is what i am seeing. So this means the Raw + basic does not give me a NEF file then? Looks like I need to Read through the Manual again. :er:

Most reactions

Back