RAW or JPEG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalclear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which do you usually shoot in?? Why is one better than the other.

I have a Nikon D90, I always shoot everything in raw+jpeg normal or fine. If you want to have more editing options when in PP then I would suggest shooting in raw. I was always told to shoot in both. If you are shooting for other people and putting pictures on a disk, give them the jpeg, not the raw!

1253930-this_thread_again_super.jpg

kelli gave you good info. I like shooting in RAW because I can adjust my exposure without bringing up a ton of noise, and sharpen (a lot sometimes) without making noise. Also, it's great for reducing aberrations and noise as well (I think... others prefer other software for noise - also photoshop does ok).

thank you all. right now that is mainly what i am doing is shooting for family, friends and my own personal hobby and have been shooting in jpeg only. So when everyone was talking about shooting RAW, I thought I would ask opinion of people who knew more about it than I do. Thank you all!

I shoot mostly in raw mode, as I often do some post processing in photoshop afterwards to sharpen up the image, sort out the colours etc. If you don't do any post processing then you might as well stick with .jpeg i'd think.

I agree with everyone above. I shoot in RAW+JPEG. The JPEG files are good for basic snapshots...not the artsy shots. If I'm simply wanting to upload some pictures to facebook JPEG is my file of choice.

If I'm taking artistic shots, or pictures that I may want to frame then I use RAW. They're just MUCH MUCH easier to edit and give you many more options to correct errors in judgment.

Ok case closed, this can join the 1000's of similar threads in the forum archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back