Re: locking threads

How another forum is moderated has no bearing on how this forum is moderated.

What we all want is a forum that works well and there is no reason not to consider successful models that work elsewhere.

I left this forum for several months because two members took umbrage at my 'attitude' and attacked me in separate threads.
One went so far as to imply that I was a pedophile.
I asked the mods for some help with this and got no response.

I think that any forum, including this one, needs to protect their members and that comes first above anyone's right to free speech.

I left this forum for several months because two members took umbrage at my 'attitude' and attacked me in separate threads.

I still don't feel the post needs removed. The poster does need removed, however.

Ah, but there are converse instances where one is repeatedly abusive and insulting, repeatedly getting threads closed, but then pretends to be so awesome and act soooo innocent. Others should be able to see the offensive actions, to understand why they eventually get banned. I can cite a specific cases, where the "innocent" person's instigative/insulting and unprovoked posts have all been removed, either individual posts, or entire threads. That is wrong.

I am not a golden child, and have posted my share of regretable things. But, I'll own up to my behaviour both good and bad.

My philosophy is that one "lives and dies" by their posts, and deleting posts or threads is an injustice to the community as a whole.

Then leave the response space in place but remove the text and put a message 'removed for abusive language - first warning'
That way the abuser is marked but the abuse is gone.

How another forum is moderated has no bearing on how this forum is moderated.

Maybe not but I don't like talking through my hat and this is the experience I do have so I can share from an experienced POV.

I still don't feel the post needs removed. The poster does need removed, however.

Unfortunately both of them are still here, still voluble, still not posting pictures.

Maybe not but I don't like talking through my hat and this is the experience I do have so I can share from an experienced POV.

I'm a mod on another forum as well, so I speak from experience too. When we're at your forum, we'll play by your forum's rules. Visit my forum, and you'll see different rules applied.

So are we disagreeing then or agreeing? Your statements Sparky have been directed at me while mine have been in regard to the OP's. My experience as a forum moderator is as valid as another's. This is my forum, it's your's too.

Sins can be forgiven, rule breaking must be punished. What is the common practice when a member is caught being abusive or extremely rude? Ban obviously is the hardest punishment, but is there something in-between? As blocking posting rights for a week?

We can suspend a members account (it gets listed as banned under the users name as opposed to suspended). In fact we can suspend for a variety of lengths depending on the situation. We don't really have a hard and fast rule concerning suspensions and its normally something we'll chat about (which can sometimes take a little time since we are not all here every day for long periods).
Sometimes we'll also use very short term (24hour) suspensions when its clear a (or group of ) members have gotten way out of hand and need a little, enforced, cooling off period.

But in general we debate about things. We do dislike handing out any form of heavy punishment and will attempt to get members to resolve differences/problems if we can.

I've never been a mod on a forum nor have any interest. However, I have been a Guv'ner, Landlord or General Manager of English pubs. Funny as it is, there are similarities. In each pub I was quick to set the ground rules of unacceptable behavior. First you (the offender) were given a stern look and a quick warning from across the bar. Next was a quite word outside the doors. That was followed by a one week ban if the infringement happened again..... regardless of the time span. I would then give a one month ban if caught again with unacceptable behavior and it didn't have to be the same type of infraction. After that, it was a ban for life, no exceptions as long as I was there. Certain locals loved me, other hated me. I didn't care either way....... this was MY pub. Like it or f**k off.

I think more temporary bans should be implemented and the offender should be PMd as to the reason why. I think more threads should never be seen if there is an intention to insult. I think if the bad seeds (threads) can still be viewed then nothing is learned by the offenders. Granted, there are some threads where the discourse (intent of the OP and subsequent members) has value and these types of threads should be minced like garlic if they can be a salvaged. But if the mods have to do this, there should be some consequence for those that cause this type of action..... and I mean a real consequence. The personal attacks are horrendous and occur on a daily basis.

With that said, I also wish to thank Overread, tirediron and KmH who have been pro-active towards this end and for moving threads to their proper location. Other than the usual BS that takes place, the Beginners forum has calmed down to a reasonable level. Cheers. (and I didn't forget about BigMike either :thumbsup:)

Well spoken Sir, yes! The manner in which you handled 'unacceptable behavior' is exactly as it should be in forum in my opinion. Warning--->minor vacation----->30 day vacation-----permaban is how I delt with it when necessary, which by the way becomes less and less necessary ;)

Bitter Jeweler said:

Very true removing locked forums, is like removing parts of history from your text books(country or countries need not be named). I think it's a good warning sign to all who decide to become unruly.

These wrangles don't just harm the people involved; they poison the ambiance and the forum loses members because of it.

First, moderators are the unsung heros of any forum. They never get thanked, only complained to. They never get paid, they volunteer their time because they want the forum to grow. Rather than bitching at them try thanking them from time to time.

Second, I am of the opinion that deleting locked posts is a bad idea. I used to frequent a scale modeling forum that was moderated by a bunch of rule freaks. People would post something and the next day it was gone. No reason given, no nothing except people wondering what happened to it. Someone then starts a topic asking what happened to the first topic and it disappears to. Once again, no reason given, no explanation, no nothing. On the other hand, a motorcycle forum I frequent is the exact opposite. Topics never disappear however contents do. The moderators will delete the entire contents of a topic, and then place an explanation as to why it was emptied. That, to me, is the best way to handle situations such as this.

When topics are removed nobody learns anything except that topics disappear for no apparent reason. When topics are emptied and an explanation given everyone learns something from it.

I have seen two very similar threads removed in recent times and I think that the deletion of both of them was a good decision. In my mind there were innocent photgoraphers whose business was being ambushed and potentially impacted by its discussion here on TPF and I don't think it was fair to them and I don't think it was morally right to keep their name in the spotlight due to the circumstances. I believe it was a responsible action to eliminate each of the threads, in entirety, as though they never existed to begin with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back