Ready the popcorn, it's a 'first wedding' thread

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There comes a time in most serious young photographers lives when they are about to do their first wedding. For me, that is in about half an hour. Oh ****! I'm a bit nervous but I'm pretty well prepared. It's a low-key/informal wedding so not too much pressure. I've been charging for jobs for a few months now with happy results, hopefully this isn't too much of a jump. I'm only charging $300 since it's my first wedding, I know that's very cheap but I'm comfortable with it.

Anyway, stay tuned for updates/pics in the next couple of days. I'm only posting this so that I have to follow through, even if the pictures turn out horrible!

I'm only charging $300 since it's my first wedding, I know that's very cheap but I'm comfortable with it.

If your happy with it, then its fine. No need for popcorn!

So I had a bad start to the night - Had everything loaded up in my car ready to leave with plenty of time to spare, about to drive off and decided to run back inside and grab my watch. Upon exiting the car I somehow managed to knock the door lock with my elbow just as the door was shutting, and you guessed it - locked the door with the keys in the ignition and the engine running. :x:grumpy::er:
Spent the next 20 minutes or so trying frantically to break in with a coathanger, got it open eventually and sped to the job, arrived just in time thank god - about 2 minutes before the bride turned up in the limo!

Aside from that mishap though everything went well. Took some posed shots outside and a lot of pictures of the guests at the reception. The ceremony itself was definitely not ideal in terms of lighting - very dim lights (to give an idea I would have had to be at 3200 ISO f/1.8 1/20s or thereabouts without a flash, and all the walls and ceilings were black so I had no choice but to use direct flash. I still haven't uploaded the photos to my computer (ended up staying over at a 'friends' place after the wedding and haven't been home yet) and had a good look at them but I think they will still be fine.
Standby for another update with pictures...

Good luck!! Knock um'dead......kinda!! :lmao:

Whoops, somehow I COMPLETELY muffed the shots of the part where they kiss at the end of the ceremony (arguably most important shot of all). Completely out of focus. ****, how did that happen :scratch:

Luckily, they kissed again just afterwards and I didn't muff that one, phew.

Here's one of my faves so far, the bride and her mum:

IMG_3921.jpg

That is a very soft and pretty photo, do you have more? I was waiting excitedly to see these! Did they receive their photos yet? If so, what was the reaction?

That is a very soft and pretty photo, do you have more? I was waiting excitedly to see these! Did they receive their photos yet? If so, what was the reaction?

Hmm soft isn't exactly what I was going for :lol: but glad you like it. Here are some more - I just finished processing them today. The couple are on their honeymoon so will see them when I get back, I'm eager to hear their thoughts.

IMG3873-L.jpg

IMG3887-XL.jpg

IMG3896-L.jpg

IMG4021-XL.jpg

IMG4041-XL.jpg

IMG4049-L.jpg

IMG4180-XL.jpg

Thoughts?

YO FOKKER.

First shot that Shadowbox called "soft" is actually pretty sharp. I'm fairly certain he meant "soft" as the feeling he gets when viewing it. Which is good for a mother/bride at a wedding.

Overall, nice quality control on your shots FTMP. Did you use just the 40D, or did you bring your 5D too? I'm going to be shooting a wedding in June with my 5D. I also find the bokeh in the last shot really pleasing, what lens has that characteristic?

Nice watermark too :p

YO FOKKER.

First shot that Shadowbox called "soft" is actually pretty sharp. I'm fairly certain he meant "soft" as the feeling he gets when viewing it. Which is good for a mother/bride at a wedding.

Overall, nice quality control on your shots FTMP. Did you use just the 40D, or did you bring your 5D too? I'm going to be shooting a wedding in June with my 5D. I also find the bokeh in the last shot really pleasing, what lens has that characteristic?

Nice watermark too :p

YO TYLER; Yeah cheers for the watermark, lol. It's pretty tight and I'm a bit useless at graphic/logo design type ventures.

All of these were just with the 40D - I actually ended up selling the 5D since I was a bit short on cash and couldn't afford a decent normal zoom to go with it. So all I have now is the 40D but I really would have loved to have a second body like a 5D with me for this wedding. It's definitely doable with one body, but having a backup would be nice in case the unthinkable should happen to the 40D, plus I could have just left the 50mm or 70-200 on the second body instead of having to change lenses. Most of the shots were with my 17-55 2.8 which is a pretty awesome wedding lens. The last shot was with a sigma 28mm 1.8 that I picked up cheap secondhand. It's not the sharpest lens out but it does the trick for those indoor low-light situations.

Not bad man. GJ. Show us more.

I'm saddened to hear of the loss of your beloved 5D. She will be missed. *Salutes*

I'm with Tyler, love the shot of the ring and glass. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but for me, the other two color shots could use a bit of a bump in contrast. They look a little flat to me, and pssibly a little on the cool side, while the ring shot is perfect contrast wise. Overall, great job.

Congrats, Fokker. Those are pretty great shots and thanks for showing us how to do a wedding shoot. Was it scary having to satisfy the mom of the bride??

Most reactions

New Topics

Back