Reasons I Like/Dislike Mirrorless

Let's be honest, a mirror flapping about inside the body is 1950's technology. It should have died out with ground glass screens, twin lenses, light meters, bellows and trilbies with 'Press' labels in the hatband.

With the latest mirrorless cameras able to match dslr's for action focussing, and beat them in other areas, the only reason to have a mirror is if you shoot film, or when shaving.

There are mirrorless bodies with two card slots, and the physical size of dslr's, if that's what you need. This race is now over.

Canon and Nikon know that - that's why they released new mirror-less models.

I am kind of a Film Snob AND an SLR Snob.....but i would think you are correct.
Mirror-less, as it relates to modern day Digital 35mm is the future, at least i would think so.

They (mirror-less) are still somewhat "new" at this point. But in another 10 years, i get the feeling that a new production Digital SLR will be more "obsolete" than film is now.
ios-10-shrug-emoji.jpg

I like ‘em because they get cheap NOS so damn fast.

Dislike

1. Battery life
2. No dual cards
3. Can’t compose shot without turning camera on
4. I don’t have T Rex hands
5. AF is crap

1. Will eventually drive down the price of real camera gear.

Feel free to add to the list

I don't own one but not all of the mirrorless have the problems you dislike.

1. This can be an issue but not on all cameras.
2. Again some do.
3. Probably same with all but don't know.
4. Not all mirrorless are that small. Some are near same size as my 7dMK2
5. Some have excellent Af. I know of two that kill my 7dMK2.

Sounds to me like you just chose the wrong camera for your needs.

Dislike

1. Battery life
2. No dual cards
3. Can’t compose shot without turning camera on
4. I don’t have T Rex hands
5. AF is crap

1. Will eventually drive down the price of real camera gear.

Feel free to add to the list

So out of interest, what camera do you have if you think it might be crap ?

I sometimes wonder if they actually see photographers or photographs at all and whether their world has morphed into something equivalent to "The Matrix" where they look through viewfinders and just see a steady stream of numbers rolling down... ;);););)

Are you trying to tell me, when you see a photo, there's more than ISO, Aperture and shutter speed? Crap! I think I'm missing out!

Lighten up guys, it’s just a discussion.

And while you may disagree with me, my opinion carries weight. I won POY here a few years ago. I have a photography book published by a university press.

I have tried shooting mirrorless and I absolutely hate it. All technical stuff aside, there is something to be said for having a camera that is comfortable in your hand and held to your eye.

I just picked up a used d600 with 7k clicks for a couple hundred bucks on eBay to use as a back up and for certain travel situations.

Lighten up guys, it’s just a discussion.

And while you may disagree with me, my opinion carries weight. I won POY here a few years ago. I have a photography book published by a university press.

I have tried shooting mirrorless and I absolutely hate it. All technical stuff aside, there is something to be said for having a camera that is comfortable in your hand and held to your eye.

I just picked up a used d600 with 7k clicks for a couple hundred bucks on eBay to use as a back up and for certain travel situations.

I think it`s a good discussion, I can think of two people who use mirrorless and could win a POY on here too.

A lady wanted to try holding my DSLR when i had the Tamron 150-600 on and said good god no right away.LOL

A lady wanted to try holding my DSLR when i had the Tamron 150-600 on and said good god no right away.LOL

The reason I switched from Canon to Fuji was my Sigma 150-600mm just got to heavy.

So you now have a D600, but out of interest what mirrorless was crap ?

The D600 no doubt has a cracking good sensor but the AF system of the D7000 crop body is really crap and pretty much blind in very low light. still a great image maker though and there dirt cheap now and if it starts slinging spit balls you can send it in for a shutter replacement maybe even a new D610

This is only me or how I`d do it.
If I ever had a camera and I hated it and thought OMG this is crap, then I`d say what camera it was just in case a new comer got one and wasted money, instead of just saying why it`s crap but like I said that`s just me :)

This is only me or how I`d do it.
If I ever had a camera and I hated it and thought OMG this is crap, then I`d say what camera it was just in case a new comer got one and wasted money, instead of just saying why it`s crap but like I said that`s just me :)

The mirrorless I used was a Sony a7II. No issues with the image quality I just don’t like the experience in general. That doesn’t help a newcomer because they don’t have the slr experience that I have to compare it against.

The mirrorless I have (Sony NEX-5N) has no flash.
The DSLR I have (CanonXTi) has a decent pop up flash and excepts my Vivitar 2600D.
Also I have several lenses for the Canon. Also it reminds me of the AE-1 and the EOS650 I used to shoot.
For me the DSLR is a big win!

Most reactions

Back