Reasons I Like/Dislike Mirrorless

I like different things about each design. I purchased a D850 about a month 2 mo ago but it was a close race between it and the Z7. I do feel that the D850 will be the last dSLR that I buy and my next purchase will be a high resolution mirrorless in about 5 years or so.

They (mirror-less) are still somewhat "new" at this point.
This is a common statement that I hear, and I just don’t get it.

The first (commercially available) mirrorless came out in 2004. The iPhone came out in 2007 (just for a point of reference). Look how far the iPhone has come, and I wouldn’t consider the iPhone to still be “new” at this point.

I’m curious how long mirrorless cameras have to be out until people stop claiming them to be “too new” as their reason not to purchase. Or, as the OP has claimed, for them to be a “real” camera.

Dislike

1. Battery life
2. No dual cards
3. Can’t compose shot without turning camera on
4. I don’t have T Rex hands
5. AF is crap

1. Will eventually drive down the price of real camera gear.

Feel free to add to the list

I recently trade all my Nikon gear for Olympus 4/3rds and couldn’t be happier..The Omd Em1 mark 2 is incredible. Sure it doesn’t have the pixel count of my traded D800 but to be perfectly honest I don’t need all those pixels I’m not a Pro making a living from photography. I love bird photography and to not have to carry a D800 and Nikon 200-500mm around plus a tripod with gimbal head is a joy.. did I mention the insane image stabilization this camera has ! Coupled with the stabilization of the 300F4 and 1.4 teleconverter that’s 840mm hand holding !
I use the excellent 12-100mm F4 for everything else.. it’s even got me back into my home made studio.. Exciting times are ahead and sure there will always be the need for some people to want a big clunky dslr but the future is bright the future is mirrorless .
So people by all means chose the system that works for you but please don’t be ignorant and make comments like the OP about real cameras..
My Olympus is real very real and very very good..

Lighten up guys, it’s just a discussion.

And while you may disagree with me, my opinion carries weight. I won POY here a few years ago. I have a photography book published by a university press.

I have tried shooting mirrorless and I absolutely hate it. All technical stuff aside, there is something to be said for having a camera that is comfortable in your hand and held to your eye.

I just picked up a used d600 with 7k clicks for a couple hundred bucks on eBay to use as a back up and for certain travel situations.

Maybe the ergonomics of that particular mirrorless weren’t right for you. Have you used or tested any others? I believe Jc likes the Fuji XH line because they fit his hands better and it feels more dslr-like. I like my Fuji Xt2 for it’s smaller size but, having never used a full frame, I can’t really compare the feel of it to some of the bigger nikons and canons. To each her own... as for your original reasons why, I think Fuji has conquered many of them.

Dislike

1. Battery life. ** I agree it’s lacking but spares are small and lightweight and not terribly expensive
2. No dual cards. ** Fuji has 2
3. Can’t compose shot without turning camera on.
4. I don’t have T Rex hands.
5. AF is crap. ** Fuji AF is excellent

1. Will eventually drive down the price of real camera gear -** prices on many of the mirrorless are higher than similarly equipped dslrs .

They (mirror-less) are still somewhat "new" at this point.
This is a common statement that I hear, and I just don’t get it.

The first (commercially available) mirrorless came out in 2004. The iPhone came out in 2007 (just for a point of reference). Look how far the iPhone has come, and I wouldn’t consider the iPhone to still be “new” at this point.

I’m curious how long mirrorless cameras have to be out until people stop claiming them to be “too new” as their reason not to purchase. Or, as the OP has claimed, for them to be a “real” camera.
I can only speak for myself, but......did you read The Rest of my post...??
Your quote makes it sound like i said "No" to renewable energy, because i used the word "No" in a pro renewable speech.
They ARE "new" in the context of my (entire) post. The Huge Bulk of "professional" 35mm Film cameras did not transition from SLR to Mirror-less, They transitioned from SLR to SLR.
At this point there are Millions more SLR than mirror-less, in the realm of "Professional Photographers".
Did you ever shoot a press conference.? There is a reason they were so noisy for the last 50 years.
I am not claiming them to be too Anything for Anybody not to buy them.
Your post is the first time i have heard anybody say that in the last 3-4-5 years.
But just to refresh your memory on what i DID say.......
"Mirror-less, as it relates to modern day Digital 35mm is the future, at least i would think so.
They (mirror-less) are still somewhat "new" at this point. But in another 10 years, i get the feeling that a new production Digital SLR will be more "obsolete" than film is now."

did you read The Rest of my post...??
Your quote makes it sound like i said "No" to renewable energy, because i used the word "No" in a pro renewable speech.
They ARE "new" in the context of my (entire) post.
I did, and I tend to agree with your post. But, that doesn’t mean that I can’t disagree with your wording choice. ;) While they (mirrorless) may be the most recent technology of the ones you’ve referenced, I wouldn’t call them new.

I agree with a post earlier in this thread: that these threads are the reason forums die. And the reason I’ve been staying away from forums lately. Arguing over technology and semantics is pointless. I’d rather be out shooting.

did you read The Rest of my post...??
They ARE "new" in the context of my (entire) post.
I did, and I tend to agree with your post. But, that doesn’t mean that I can’t disagree with your wording choice. ;) While they (mirrorless) may be the most recent technology of the ones you’ve referenced, I wouldn’t call them new.

I agree with a post earlier in this thread: that these threads are the reason forums die. And the reason I’ve been staying away from forums lately. Arguing over technology and semantics is pointless. I’d rather be out shooting.

But when you can’t get out to shoot or want to slack off from work, you can’t beat arguing on a photo forum about personal opinions!

Some of these responses seem very odd to me. :boggled: :confused-55:
There must be something going on that i am not aware of.
Why this thread, or others like it would cause the death of The Forum is beyond me.
I am not sure if i have even read this entire thread...but i thought the purpose was to discuss WHY a person does or does not like a certain camera.
That scenario is ONE of the reasons a forum like this exists.
Gear, is a HUGE talking point.....whether it be guitars, cars, guns or cameras.

On the other hand, if you Guys/Gals are saying there is a divide, name calling, or choosing of sides.....where a person that prefers an SLR is a "loser"...or behind the times, stuck in the past, Etc etc.......i can understand the problem. I am not aware of that going on here, but i am new to this place.

Anyway.....at the risk of repeating myself. I said the no mirror is.......Relatively New. I am not saying they just started selling 3 years ago.
However, compared to the SLR, beginning with the Nikon F.....the arena of 35mm camera sales have been dominated by the SLR until...once again...relatively recently. The no mirror had teething problems with heat and reliability, they had catching up to do with glass, etc etc.
Whatever "problems" they might have had at one time, i would say they have well conquered circa 2018.

I would think (until a new technology takes their place) that no mirror 35mm will dominate the "Professional" camera market for the foreseeable future.
If i somehow gave the impression that i was down-talking or doubting the legitimacy of no mirror cameras, i apologize.

FWIW.......I do not even own a digital camera. I have no bias one way or the other where Mirror Vs No Mirror is concerned.
I shoot film because i am an older person, i already have those types of cameras; and as a hobby, film allows you the unique opportunity to print.
Other than for myself, I do not think film is "better" than digital or any other format.

Last edited:
I think it's a good discussion and lots of valid points brought up, I own both DSLR and M4/3 Mirrorless for different purposes and love both systems and regardless of mirror or no mirror both systems have pros and cons. No one has to be restricted to only a DSLR or only a mirrorless system. I bought a Panasonic m4/3 well knowing the short battery life so i got a extra battery and also knowing it only comes with in camera charging so i bought a travel wall charger so i can charge outside of the camera.Also knowing it's smaller to handle so bought a optional grip now my biggest peeves all solved.

Last edited:
Why this thread, or others like it would cause the death of The Forum is beyond me.

Any thread that gets to 4 pages of light hearted debate about cameras is unlikely to cause the death of furum.

People not posting causes forums to die.

Even as a fan of mirrorless since the Lumix G1, I have to say I do like the mechanical feel of a dslr. The clap of the mirror and the shutter noise reminds me of my old slr film days.

I have set my X-T2 (which incidentally has a mock prism housing to make me feel even more at home) to auto electronic shutter, but whenever I get the beep rather than a real mechanical shutter, I feel cheated somehow.

My phone makes a noise like Leica rangefinder when I take a shot, most satisfying. :)

Any thread that gets to 4 pages of light hearted debate about cameras is unlikely to cause the death of furum.

People not posting causes forums to die.
Light-hearted debate, maybe. It can quickly turn sour. Or, repetitive.

There’s a reason why this site has rules against film vs. digital debates. So far, the mirrorless vs. mirror debate hasn’t been too bad. It’s been worse on other forums.

wake me up when the exposure triangle becomes a square... a camera is a camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back