Reasons I Like/Dislike Mirrorless

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by JTPhotography, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The reason I switched from Canon to Fuji was my Sigma 150-600mm just got to heavy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Fujidave

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So you now have a D600, but out of interest what mirrorless was crap ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DarkShadow

DarkShadow Birdographer Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D600 no doubt has a cracking good sensor but the AF system of the D7000 crop body is really crap and pretty much blind in very low light. still a great image maker though and there dirt cheap now and if it starts slinging spit balls you can send it in for a shutter replacement maybe even a new D610

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fujidave

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is only me or how I`d do it.
    If I ever had a camera and I hated it and thought OMG this is crap, then I`d say what camera it was just in case a new comer got one and wasted money, instead of just saying why it`s crap but like I said that`s just me :)

5. JTPhotography

JTPhotography No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The mirrorless I used was a Sony a7II. No issues with the image quality I just don’t like the experience in general. That doesn’t help a newcomer because they don’t have the slr experience that I have to compare it against.

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

The mirrorless I have (Sony NEX-5N) has no flash.
    The DSLR I have (CanonXTi) has a decent pop up flash and excepts my Vivitar 2600D.
    Also I have several lenses for the Canon. Also it reminds me of the AE-1 and the EOS650 I used to shoot.
    For me the DSLR is a big win!

7. greybeard

greybeard Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like different things about each design. I purchased a D850 about a month 2 mo ago but it was a close race between it and the Z7. I do feel that the D850 will be the last dSLR that I buy and my next purchase will be a high resolution mirrorless in about 5 years or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is a common statement that I hear, and I just don’t get it.

The first (commercially available) mirrorless came out in 2004. The iPhone came out in 2007 (just for a point of reference). Look how far the iPhone has come, and I wouldn’t consider the iPhone to still be “new” at this point.

I’m curious how long mirrorless cameras have to be out until people stop claiming them to be “too new” as their reason not to purchase. Or, as the OP has claimed, for them to be a “real” camera.

9. mapleleaf56

mapleleaf56 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

10. mapleleaf56

mapleleaf56 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently trade all my Nikon gear for Olympus 4/3rds and couldn’t be happier..The Omd Em1 mark 2 is incredible. Sure it doesn’t have the pixel count of my traded D800 but to be perfectly honest I don’t need all those pixels I’m not a Pro making a living from photography. I love bird photography and to not have to carry a D800 and Nikon 200-500mm around plus a tripod with gimbal head is a joy.. did I mention the insane image stabilization this camera has ! Coupled with the stabilization of the 300F4 and 1.4 teleconverter that’s 840mm hand holding !
    I use the excellent 12-100mm F4 for everything else.. it’s even got me back into my home made studio.. Exciting times are ahead and sure there will always be the need for some people to want a big clunky dslr but the future is bright the future is mirrorless .
    So people by all means chose the system that works for you but please don’t be ignorant and make comments like the OP about real cameras..
    My Olympus is real very real and very very good..

• Like Like x 2
  11. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe the ergonomics of that particular mirrorless weren’t right for you. Have you used or tested any others? I believe Jc likes the Fuji XH line because they fit his hands better and it feels more dslr-like. I like my Fuji Xt2 for it’s smaller size but, having never used a full frame, I can’t really compare the feel of it to some of the bigger nikons and canons. To each her own... as for your original reasons why, I think Fuji has conquered many of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. dennyr

dennyr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I can only speak for myself, but......did you read The Rest of my post...??
    Your quote makes it sound like i said "No" to renewable energy, because i used the word "No" in a pro renewable speech.
    They ARE "new" in the context of my (entire) post. The Huge Bulk of "professional" 35mm Film cameras did not transition from SLR to Mirror-less, They transitioned from SLR to SLR.
    At this point there are Millions more SLR than mirror-less, in the realm of "Professional Photographers".
    Did you ever shoot a press conference.? There is a reason they were so noisy for the last 50 years.
    I am not claiming them to be too Anything for Anybody not to buy them.
    Your post is the first time i have heard anybody say that in the last 3-4-5 years.
    But just to refresh your memory on what i DID say.......
    "Mirror-less, as it relates to modern day Digital 35mm is the future, at least i would think so.
    They (mirror-less) are still somewhat "new" at this point. But in another 10 years, i get the feeling that a new production Digital SLR will be more "obsolete" than film is now."