Rebecca

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I won't lie, I am pretty happy with how this shoot from yesterday turned out. I exceeded my goal of 15 "keepers" by 7 and my friend seems extremely pleased with the results.

The lighting at 10 am here was pretty terrible, but I was able to find a few spots to make it work. I would love opinions on the classic "black and white or color" debate for number 3.

Here is the link to the album if anyone is interested in browsing the rest.
Becky

C&C is as usual, appreciated.

1)
21377791572_ecf5e2dfdb_c.jpg

2)
21201699269_644f8a2ba1_c.jpg

3)
21377793962_04e986dfc8_z.jpg

21200758018_298e3c8a30_z.jpg

4)
21201701869_eb9b6363ee_c.jpg

5)
21362392346_1940f4c039_c.jpg

I'll say B&W.

#4 is the win for me ... First the unexpected shape and curve of the composition is pleasing to me, second she is a very beautiful woman, and finally I just like this style of blown out wrap around lighting that reflects on and glows at the edges of the subject.

#4 is the win for me ... First the unexpected shape and curve of the composition is pleasing to me, second she is a very beautiful woman, and finally I just like this style of blown out wrap around lighting that reflects on and glows at the edges of the subject.
thank you! I really love backlighting for maternity for some reason.

On a related note: Ana Brandt just liked number 4 on the maternity group on Facebook! (Ana Brandt= a senior famous maternity photographer who hosts classes for maternity and babies on creative live) I'm pretty excited.

Very nice Jazzie; some of your best work that we've seen I think. Really nice use of ambient light in the out-door images! A few minor nits (and bear in mind, I'm a guy, with no children and one (done under great duress) materinity shoot to his "credit"):

1. Focus, lighting, exposure? Nailed 'em! I'm just not super-fussed about about the pose and the way her right hand disappears; I think if she'd been leaning back a bit more, this would have worked even better.

2. Again, technical stuff is spot on. This may be a purely personal thing, but I find the hand-on-the-buttock pose always looks to me like she's trying to push her pelvis forward. I think too, turning her body slightly (very slightly) toward the camera might have helped.

3 & 4 are absolutely excellent, and honestly I can't choose a preference between colour and mono. The only minor nit I can find is that the highlights on her belly seem just a shade too hot, but only a shade.

5. Excellent.

6. Excellent, again VERY minor nit, the white of her garment is blending in a bit with the white of the background. I think some very careful and gentle work with burn, dodge, and maybe levels would fix that right up.

You should be happy; that's a great set, and I've seen people a pay lot of money for images that don't come near to approaching those in quality.

Well done!

@tirediron thanks so much for the thoughtful c&c! for one and two, not to make excuses but... She was on a very slanted rock in cowboy boots (not the greatest grip) to be in the good light.... She was the only way she could without falling or slipping down. I was surprised she even agreed to go up there.... I was standing on another pointy rock a ways away trying to be far enough away for my 150 lens and get tall enough to not be shooting up at her! I do have one without her hand on her back, but I liked her smile better here. She received both.

As for the whites blending-it looks "just right" on my screen but.... My Uncalibrated monitor makes my judgement hazy. Maybe for Christmas Santa will bring me something to fix that!
;-)

Shots 4 and 5 are really good. My favorite is #5, just for the perfect wardrobe, and how different it is from the typical maternity shoot clothing. I also really like the strongly backlit lighting scheme used in #5. I prefer the totally blank background in #4, but the color #3 version is good too.

EDIT: You've numbered these in a wonky way #3 is actually 3-in color and also #3-B&W......looking at the way they are actually numbered, I liked #3 B&W, and #4, but did not actually like #5, which is the last shot, or the sixth photo shown. It would probably be a good idea to give an individual number each photo, and not have two images sharing a number.

Last edited:
Shots 4 and 5 are really good. My favorite is #5, just for the perfect wardrobe, and how different it is from the typical maternity shoot clothing. I also really like the strongly backlit lighting scheme used in #5. I prefer the totally blank background in #4, but the color #3 version is good too.
Thanks Derrel! I added the texture to the color version in post, just wanted to play with something new!

I like #4 the best, but these are all really wonderful photos. I bet she loves them!!! :)

Very nice. I just love #4. Woman are just so beautiful in all shapes, ages and sizes. Your photos nail it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Time of day considered I think you did quite well working with the light outdoors! I love her dress. That color is really beautiful on her. For the color/bw debate of 3 I think I like the color.. except something feels funny with the skin tones on her face in it and I can't quite pinpoint it.. but I do like the color best overall I think.

Most reactions

Back