Rebel XT & lenses

allykat411

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and I was wondering how many of you use a Rebel? I just received mine as a birthday gift and I admit, I'm a little intimidated by it.

I'd really like to get to know my manual settings, but it's a little overwhelming. Any suggestions to make it easy to use?

Also, I'm just using the standard lens right now. Any suggestions on a better/cost-effective one? Thanks! :D

lenses are really chosen by budget and use - some are good for landscapes, others wildlife, some weddings and some as general use.
The nifty fifty (50mm f1.8) though is a very cheap and yet sharp lens that many people have as a good fast prime.

After that I suggest ignoring manual mode for now - look instead to aperture priority mode where you set your aperture (which helps determin your depth of field) and then the camera picks your shutter speed - many people use this mode all the time since it allows quick adapting to chaning light conditions.

I would also suggest taking your manual with you at all times - and keep reading it :)
After that I suggest reading Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson for a good grounding in how to adjust aperture, shutter speed and ISO to get good exposures as well as how to be creative at the same time

Have fun!

I've got a Rebel, and my advice would be to just concentrate on the basics, on getting the correct exposure by balancing shutter speed/aperture and learning about DOF, before worrying about all the little buttons that you don't understand at the moment.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest a good book on basic photography and exposure. 'Understanding Exposure' by Peterson, is often recommended. That should get you started, then you can ask us questions as you go along.

All good suggestions. The kit lens that came with the camera is fine to get started with. You'll be able to take nice wide landscapes, as well as getting in close for portraits.

At the moment, I'd focus on getting used to the camera and just go out and make some images. Don't feel like you have to get to grips with manual exposure right away - it'll just confuse and frustrate you at the moment. Go out and get a book - the one recommended earlier is good, as is 'The Camera' by Ansel Adams.

However, the thing that will help you above all else is to go take a class - your local community college probably runs continuing education night classes and you can also check out your local camera club. If you can find someone local who will give you one-to-one tuition, that is best of all.

The quicker you come to grips with the basics - shutter speed/aperture/ISO and how they interrelate and how you can use the camera to control them - the better off you'll be.

Taking great photographs is a bit like learning to play a musical instrument - there's a bit of an uphill struggle to learn how to use the camera/play the instrument from a technical standpoint. But once you master that (thankfully it's not as hard to use a camera as it is to play the violin!), you can focus on the artistic elements completely.

Cheers,
Peter

I add a vote for the nifty fifty, and I also suggest you read through the links in my signature.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back