Rebel Xti and pocketwizards

I--RIDE--BIKES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Well I shoot action sports all the time, mountain biking specifically, and have decided its time to dig into the wallet and buy a remote flash setup for my Rebel Xti. Im pretty new to all of this so please bare with me.

I am unsure on the compatability of everything, but i have come to the conclusion that I will be needing 2 Pocketwizard Plus II's, and im thinking the Vivitar 285HV flash.

Will these all work fine together? Will I be needing any additional adapters or cords?

I saw someone with a Rebel and a pocketwizard and they had some sort of adapter thing in between the 2. Will I need anything like this.

Thanks for any help that you may be able to offer.
Cheers

I've shot a lot of Cycling, mostly freeride type stuff. My opinion is to invest first into a nice wide angle lens. Then invest in the lighting.

My only beef with the PocketWizard stuff (which I use and love) is the cost and how bloody far off the camera they stick. In close quarters like a skate park I've had 2 broken off my camera. Rider/Photog error. Check out the AlienBees CyberSync also. I've borrowed a set from a friend and they worked well. Nice and small and quite a bit cheaper than PW's.

Check out some of the stuff I've shot. And remember to invest in a few flash stands as well!

Cycling Portfolio

Nice pics! Nothing better than Whistler thats for sure.

I am going to be getting a good wide angle lense soon but Im going to be getting my lighting figured out first.

I think I will stick with the Pocketwizards because of the reliability and the increased distance I can use them at.

The only real thing I am unsure of now is how to connect my Rebel Xti (no PC port) to the Pocket Wizard Plus II?

Really? because from what i have heard you need some sort of adaptor. How do you connect the PW to your camera then?

There is a small metal pin on the bottom of the PW. When you slide it into the hotshoe, it sits right in the center. Then when the camera is fired, it triggers the PW. You don't have to use a wire between the PW and your camera. Everything is done through the hotshoe just like a flash would.

You'd need a cord to hook the PW to the flash though. I use a hotshoe adapter with a 1/8" male phone jack. Then on my other flash/s I use optical hot shoe adapter.

Great thanks,

I guess ill order up my PW plus II's, Vivitar 285HV and the proper cable tomorrow. Should be a decent setup

Welcome to the forum.

You have received good advice so far. PWs are a good choice (although they are expensive). And yes, you can mount one right on the camera's hot shoe.

Yeah that'll work just fine. I always found it surprising that they want you to mount your flash on to that little guy, then mount that to a flash stand. Crazy.

To connect the pocketwizard Plus II and the Vivitar 285HV, will this work? FlashZebra.com: Deluxe Canon Hotshoe to Pocket Wizard, CyberSync or Elinchrom Skyport (Item #0138)
Yes, that should work...but the 285HV should already have a sync port built in. The only problem is that it's a proprietary connection type. You can get a cord that will go directly from the PW to the flash, LIKE THIS.

Here is an interesting link I found.
Shutter Snap Studios: Adding A Mono Jack To The Vivitar 285HV

PW's are overrated FACT

I was thinking of using the built in sync port, but i figured a hotshoe adapter would be more versitile and could be used with other flashes.

I was thinking of using the built in sync port, but i figured a hotshoe adapter would be more versitile and could be used with other flashes.
Yes, it could be used with other flashes, which is a plus. But as someone mentioned, adds another possible problem because the flash sits on the adapter which is mounted so something...it's just less stable that mounting the flash directly.

PW's are overrated FACT
That hasn't stopped them from being the industry standard for many years.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back