Received the Wrong Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
id call them and point out the mistake. you didn't pay for it. so its not your regardless of wether it was someone else's mistake. you know you didnt pay for the product you recieved and its just dishonest either way.

I call bs on half the posts in this thread.

Just sayin'.

Me, I'd want to keep it - but I'd be too worried about them being the ones that notice the error and I'd have to fork over the dough. I'd call, reluctantly... And hope for at least a gift card out of the deal. :)

It doesn't look like there's any criminal liability for keeping the lens since you were not dishonest in obtaining that lens nor deceived anyone to get the lens, they did voluntary without any fault of yours. However, you did not contract to buy this lens from them, and you're aware of their mistakes, and even if you weren't aware, you didn't detrimentally rely on this lens in anyway (unless you have wedding to shoot tommorow), therefore they could probably get that lens back from you if they really want to. Which standards do you want to use? well, you just have to make that decision for yourself.

I will say that people will take advantage when a store putting on a wrong price tags. I never been put in this position before so I can't judge, but ideally, I would hope I can pick up the phone and give them a call. One time I did receive a free calendar ( a really nice one) which I thought I didn't win so I call them up and they told me that I actually won because my name was in the drawing. Of course that's not a lens either so....

Its easy to ride the high horse until you actually are in the situation.

Mark

For some of us it would not be an issue, We would not think twice about it, Id called them as soon as I received the package.

I had a similar thing happen a few weeks ago.

Bought a car stereo for my son and they mistakenly sent me one that costs 2 times as much.

I called them, they sent me the correct one and return slip for the mistake..........oh and a coupon for 15% off a future purchase. A nice bonus for being honest.

that would suck if someone in shipping lost $600 out of their paycheck because of someone elses dishonestly... especially during the season of giving.... :-/

There are tough times out there. The guy who shipped it by mistake may be on probation for doing this earlier without a return...now not only may he be out $600, he may be out of a job.
Do you really want that on your conscious?

I also live by a simple standard....
"the ball is round, you kick someone in the ass, it comes back around...you just do not know when that will be"

This philosophy works both ways.

It would be so simple to return it, you were not expecting it anyway....

I call bs on half the posts in this thread.

Just sayin'.

Me, I'd want to keep it - but I'd be too worried about them being the ones that notice the error and I'd have to fork over the dough. I'd call, reluctantly... And hope for at least a gift card out of the deal. :)

One day, you may do something good/nice for someone, and the feeling you get will be worth much more than money will ever make you feel. Once that happens, you will not distrust people so much.

After reading some of the posts in this thread I am amazed that anyone wonders how we as a country or a world have arrived at the place we are today. ***** about Goldman Sac's, BoA, Wall Street or the rest of the financial sector about what crooks they were and are with the beliefs some here seem to hold. My generation had a word for it. Hypocrite. A liar is a liar. A thief is a thief be it an individual or a corporation. This thread is a microcosm of the world we live in today. My generation was the last of the members of the "We" generations. They have been replaced by the "ME" generation. A sorry trade if you ask me. Remember an avalanche starts with a single snow flake. Now you know where the real trigger to the avalanche came from. Take a look in the mirror not at wall street, or Detroit or Washington. Look in your own Damn mirror and some of you will come face to face with the reality of what has happened over the past few years.

That is crazy you guys think someone has to fork out that much money for that mistake from their paycheck or fired. Large retailers all use bar code scanners for this reason. They are trying to reduce mistakes. I say it is a computer malfunction.

You expect a guy working in the shipping department to understand everything they are selling? They probably have no clue with IS vs non IS.

If they did realize the mistake, they will contact the buyer frist trying to fix their mistake. They are not going to fire anybody. Hell... my buddy is an industrial engineer. He designs warehouses for large online stores (multiple online stores in one warehouse). Do you know how the guy in the shipping department get the product? By pressing a button. A robot will go get the pallete full of the product (almost like a fork lift that goes to different coordinates XYZ). It is all tied to the software. They use robot and software to minimize error.

I had a similar incident happen a few years ago with a piece of electronic equipment. Didn't think twice about it and called the manufacturer immediately upon opening the package. They thanked me for my honesty and apologised for the mistake and advised that unless I wanted the different less expensive and less functional item that they would call it good. They were cognizant of their error and were happy to leave things as is or make it right at my choice.

It's an amazing thing what a little good old fashioned honesty can accomplish. Ahhh....that might be the problem these days....honesty is an old fashioned value and some people just can't abide anything old fashion. :mrgreen:

When I find myself in situations like this, I respond as of my children are watching. I don't want my kids seeing me as a thief, even if it's the mistake of someone else.

They might actually let you keep it.

Does that mean no warranty for the lens? It's because Canon (assume it is Canon based on "IS" term was used) required invoice for warranty work.

That is crazy you guys think someone has to fork out that much money for that mistake from their paycheck or fired. Large retailers all use bar code scanners for this reason. They are trying to reduce mistakes. I say it is a computer malfunction.

You expect a guy working in the shipping department to understand everything they are selling? They probably have no clue with IS vs non IS.

If they did realize the mistake, they will contact the buyer frist trying to fix their mistake. They are not going to fire anybody. Hell... my buddy is an industrial engineer. He designs warehouses for large online stores (multiple online stores in one warehouse). Do you know how the guy in the shipping department get the product? By pressing a button. A robot will go get the pallete full of the product (almost like a fork lift that goes to different coordinates XYZ). It is all tied to the software. They use robot and software to minimize error.

The more products that a company handles the less automation they use because the cost of application of the system. even the USPS is only partially automated.

Even the best systems like Floshipper the product is still picked by hand and scanned then placed into the system. The system does the sorting, labeling, and compiling for shipping but not the initial pick of the product.

There are several small systems that do the initial pick but those are small items that can be dropped from bins into the system

Does that mean no warranty for the lens? It's because Canon (assume it is Canon based on "IS" term was used) required invoice for warranty work.

I was wondering when someone would bring this up.

If I recieved the wrong product, better or worse, I would contact them and try to get what I ordered. I spend weeks researching larger purchases (sometimes months) and damn it, when I come to a decision, I knows what I wants!

Sorry Schwetty, there are huge differences between how an industrial engineer is going to be treated and a shipping receiver labourer when they screw something up. You have no way of knowing how someone in management would react.

Its like in serving/waitressing, if your float is out 100 bucks they are either going to make you pay for it or fire your ass. Not trying to crap on you here just thought I would point that out.

Its not fair maybe but it does infact happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back