Recent Family Portrait session!

Tbini87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last edited:
Focus and exposure are acceptable, however the backgrounds are busy and distracting in some cases, a number are tilted just enough to make it look accidental, but not enough to make it look "artistic", there are a number of crops where you have amputated awkward bits of limbs. Good job on the vertical orientation, but try and avoid centering the subjects quite so much.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Focus and exposure are acceptable, however the backgrounds are busy and distracting in some cases, a number are tilted just enough to make it look accidental, but not enough to make it look "artistic", there are a number of crops where you have amputated awkward bits of limbs. Good job on the vertical orientation, but try and avoid centering the subjects quite so much.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks John. Which backgrounds do you find distracting? The glass from the windows or maybe the brushy stuff behind the mom and dad in the last two pictures? I hadn't really noticed the akward crops until now but I see the knees and ankles being cropped in a few spots that aren't all that great. Thanks so much for your feed back.

To be honest, pretty much all of them (In future, it greatly helps critique if the images are numbered).

In the very first one, the doors are only slightly out of focus, and you have the vertical line between the two doors centred on the child's head; the eye follows lines... In the two with the Gazebo, there's just too darn much going on, and enough in focus that the subjects don't immediatley stand out. This should have been shot with 200mm+ at f2.8 to really reduce the apparent detail. The set with the arched windows in the background... just not a very appealing background IMO, and the last two, well, that looks almost like an industrial lot or something similar.

This is another double posting, as I remember to have replied to another thread with the self-same photos before...!!!

This is another double posting, as I remember to have replied to another thread with the self-same photos before...!!!

I wasn't getting many responses so once I figured out how to get actual images into the thread instead of links I decided to do it the right way in the correct forum. This is the right place to get C&C right? I didn't want to limit the comment to just the "professional" forum.

To be honest, pretty much all of them (In future, it greatly helps critique if the images are numbered).

In the very first one, the doors are only slightly out of focus, and you have the vertical line between the two doors centred on the child's head; the eye follows lines... In the two with the Gazebo, there's just too darn much going on, and enough in focus that the subjects don't immediatley stand out. This should have been shot with 200mm+ at f2.8 to really reduce the apparent detail. The set with the arched windows in the background... just not a very appealing background IMO, and the last two, well, that looks almost like an industrial lot or something similar.

I did number the pics, it looks like the numbers were put in really weird spots so they are easy to miss. I agree that we could have kicked the background a little more out of focus to make them less distracting. I don't know what you mean by an "industrial lot" but the last set with the grassy background doesn't seem too distracting to me except maybe for the bright concrete wall part.

The white balance seems a little off in #4 (the cute adorable girl). I have to agree with John with regards to angles and backgrounds but all in all, I personally like the clean processing and you captured them well and I'm sure they will be thrilled with your work.

The white balance seems a little off in #4 (the cute adorable girl). I have to agree with John with regards to angles and backgrounds but all in all, I personally like the clean processing and you captured them well and I'm sure they will be thrilled with your work.

Thanks Tee. You think the WB is too warm or too cool? I will have to check it on the comp that we edited on, the monitor I am on now is terrible.

It feels a tiny pinch too warm to me but I'll defer to others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back