Recommend a Flash?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking at getting a flash, but I'm not really sure what to get. I have a Nikon D5100 and I'm looking for something around $100 USD. I don't care if it's a Nikon flash or a 3rd party aftermarket brand.

You can get a Yongnuo 560 or two Yongnuo 460 flashes in that price range. I've been using two YN565EX flashes along with my two Canon 580EXII flashes for several months now, and they're great.

Will those flashes work automatically with my D5100?

Will those flashes work automatically with my D5100?
Define "automatically". They will fit on your hot shoe and they will fire unless you've got some settings on your camera preventing them from doing so. They will also work with triggers, from cheap Chinese triggers like the Yongnuo RF-603C which actually work very well, up to expensive units like Radio Popper and Pocket Wizards. They won't do TTL, but if you're looking for that capability, you're going to have to pry open your wallet a bit further.

I'm not really familiar with triggers to be honest. Could you explain?Will these work off camera?When I say automatically, just going off when it needs to, I'm guessing the amount of flash is manually controlled, which I don't mind.

I'm not really familiar with triggers to be honest. Could you explain?Will these work off camera?When I say automatically, just going off when it needs to, I'm guessing the amount of flash is manually controlled, which I don't mind.
Triggers allow you to get the flash off the camera's hot shoe, and place it where it can light something from a different angle, which can produce very nice effects, especially in portraiture. Basically, there are two units involved: one on the camera and one on the flash. They "talk" to each other via radio signals. When the camera shutter button is pressed, the camera communicates that to the unit attached to the camera, which then transmits that info to the one on the flash, and it fires at the same time, with no wires between them.

As long as you're fine with manual settings, these flashes will work fine with your camera.

Don't be fooled by the name brands. light is light no matter the source. granted name brand speedlights might last a little longer in the long run but not always the case. I say get what buckster suggested and as you become more serious about your photography you can up grade to something a lil better in time.

If you want Through The Lens, the Nikon SB400 is probably gonna be the closest thing in your price range. TTL meters the flash with the camera electronics and integrates the whole process. Theoretically this should be the absolute best way. However, there are "Automatic" flashes like the Vivitar 285 that have a sensor on the flash that measures the reflected light from the subject. You set the flash to match the ISO and f/stop you have set your camera to. This works pretty well in most situations. This type of flash like Viv 285 are much less money and, when you learn how to use them can more that get the job done.

I have the D5100, and at the recommendation of a couple of others on TPF, I bought the Yongnuo 560 and a couple of cheap wireless triggers also Yongnuo, but don't remember the model # right off hand, and I'm too lazy to get up and go look).

I've been completely happy with the YN560. I had (still have, really) NO idea what I'm doing with flash, so it IS a learning process, but the flash and triggers are easy enough to use off-camera. I bought a hotshoe adapter for a cheap old lightstand I had; I put the hotshoe adapter and the receiver trigger on the lightstand pole, then put the flash on the receiver, and another receiver on the camera's hotshoe, and I'm good to go.

Figuring out where to place the flash, and what amount of flash to use, that's another story...and since I can't get the TTL info, I *have* to set it manually, but as far as I'm concerned that's actually a PLUS because it forces me to learn what I'm doing and not just rely on the camera to do it for me. I shoot in manual, because I'm not going to trust the camera to choose my settings for me, so why not use manual flash as well?

If you're on a <$100 budget, I highly recommend the Yongnuo 560 flash!

If you want Through The Lens, the Nikon SB400 is probably gonna be the closest thing in your price range. TTL meters the flash with the camera electronics and integrates the whole process. Theoretically this should be the absolute best way. However, there are "Automatic" flashes like the Vivitar 285 that have a sensor on the flash that measures the reflected light from the subject. You set the flash to match the ISO and f/stop you have set your camera to. This works pretty well in most situations. This type of flash like Viv 285 are much less money and, when you learn how to use them can more that get the job done.
Are you talking about the vivitar 285hv?Also looking at the yongnuo 560.

There is also a yongnuo yn 465 which does ttl with canon so more than likely there is a nikon version, 60 euro, which is approx 75 dollars on ebay. I am happy with mine

If you want Through The Lens, the Nikon SB400 is probably gonna be the closest thing in your price range.

The SB400 is worthless and not much stronger than the on-camera flash on the D5100. I'd skip this flash entirely.

Are you talking about the vivitar 285hv?Also looking at the yongnuo 560.

The YN460 is good. I have one, and while it isn't as fancy as my SB-700 or as powerful, I've taken some pretty nice shots with it. It's TTL and it's about $65-70. For that price, it isn't a bad flash even a little bit.

Most reactions

Back