I suggest used Speedotron gear from
eBay or your local area Craigslist. You need a good boom stand, in my opinion. I've shot small products for magazine advertisements and web sites, and to me, a good, heavy-duty boom stand is an essential piece of grip gear.
Since today's ISO 200 is so,so good (200 is in fact the base ISO of many Nikon bodies), total power output is not all "that" critical. I like the Black Line power supplies in the 2400-series, which are a dime a dozen, but for smaller products, an 800 watt-second power supply and three or four light heads and a softbox and a grid or two is really quite affordable on
eBay.
If you're mainly interested in portraiture, the Speedotron Brown Line lights like the M90 and MW3U (the 3U, and NOT the MW3R) work well with umbrellas, and can be bought for $90 each, or less. Add a Speedotron Brown Line D402 power supply for $99-$129 and for around four hundred dollars, you have a 4-light system that was actually designed as a portrait/location lighting system.
Occasionally, the older D402 kit with two M90 lights, an MW3U or MW3R light, and two Speedotron black light stands, plus a ballistic nylon carrying kit that holds it all will come up; I picked up one of those last year for $299,shipped, from eBay. Right now there is a nice D1604 power supply on eBay for a very good price....four outlets, with up to 400 watt-seconds each for $300??? Not too shabby.