Recommendations for Home Studio Lighting

aaltman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've worked in a studio for years and have recently decided to create my own in-home studio. Being so focused on the subjects, I am very unsure what lighting I need for optimal results.
I primary want to focus on newborn sessions, but would like some versatility as well.
I'd love recommendations for the whole set-up. Price range, negotiable, ideally mid-range.
Thank you!

Welcome to the site. You've worked in a studio for years and didn't pay any attention to the lighting? Were you not the photographer?

Welcome to the site. You've worked in a studio for years and didn't pay any attention to the lighting? Were you not the photographer?
A lot of "studios" are like Sears Portrait Centers, Wal-mart, etc where they have a formula for everything and the "photographer" is really just a camera operator. Quantifying "mid-range" with a dollar figure would help since your mid-range, Ron's mid-range, and mine are all probably all very different.

The Flashpoint series from Adorama are well regarded as a decent, consumer-grade units. I think however you're rather putting the cart before the horse. Studio lights should be purchased among other things, based on the studio space, in other words, buying 4 800 w/s monolights ofr a 10x10 studio is probably not practical. You also need to consider modifiers; more information would help greatly!

Continuous lighting is great for shooting newborns..

Continuous lighting is great for shooting newborns..
I would respectfully disagree. IMO, continuous light, unless you're going to drop a bundle for Kino Flo or similar, is less than ideal for newborns UNLESS they're completely still. Most consumer-grade continuous lighting just does not have the power to properly light most portraits, regardless of age. Additionally, unless you use CFL bulbs, they're going to get VERY hot, very quickly. You do NOT want to test out your insurance on a burn case!

I would say buy three or four 150 Watt-second Flashpoint monolights, and two medium-sized soft6boxes, preferrably with accessory "egg crate" style grids, at least one silver/white reflector, some light stands, a pair of 45 inch umbrellas, some fur throws, a posing table, some pillows and posing wedges, and some background materials. You will want at least six light stands. SOme A clamps, gaffer's tape, and some other stuff as well.

Thank you. You're right, the company I was with is in the same genre as a Sears portrait studio. So in other words, "don't touch the lights," haha.
For ME, 'mid-range' would be $300-$500. The room is about 10x12 with a couple large windows.
Again, thank you.

Realistically, your budget is less than mid-range as far as a lighting set up goes.
A mid-range lighting set up would be more in the $3000-$5000 range

What direction do the windows face? 10 x 12 is about the minimum that will work, and please state the ceiling height.

+3 on the entry level, fit's your budget - Flashpoint 3 Light Strobe Outfit with Stands, 40" Umbrellas & Large Carrying Case

For reflectors you can use 20x30 pieces of white foam board from Walmart, Staples, or similar stores. Black foam board is used to subtract light.

Using softboxes with the Flashpoint lights will require you get the right speed rings from Adorama to mount the softboxes to the lights.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
In a 10x12 foot room, smaller light sources are fine. Indeed, they are kind of a blessing. Softboxes are handy, since they can be fitted with eggcrate-style grids, which help to keep the light moving straight ahead, and not spilling all over the entire shooting area, and they allow you to CONTROL the light somewhat when needed, to keep it off of the background if desired, or to keep the light from glancing toward the camera and flaring your lens.

In a small studio environment, the 150 Watt-second flashpoint 320M monolights are PLENTY powerful. In a smaller room like that, you just do not want a lot of power most of the time. On a set with a white fur throw over a table with padding and maybe a basket or baby wedge, a single head fired at half power from a shoot through umbrella suspended overhead and off to one side, with a reflector on the off-side will shower the area with a nice, soft, overhead light, and the bounce back from the parabolic side of the reflector will add fill light too.

Oh there you go...the above lighting setup works best with the light on a boom stand, suspended over the set, so, that's another piece of equipment that's realllllly nice to have--a boom stand with a boom arm and counter-weight.

Yes, your budget is low. Strive for simple lighting that looks "good". CATCHLIGHTS in the baby's eyes make the eyes sparkle. There are ways to light a baby and set that are not that complicated. Go on-line and check out some of the long, full-length baby posing/shooting video tutorials, and watch how it is done.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back