Refurbished cameras?

Okay- I guess I need to ban myself from TPF. I narrow it down to two and you guys throw in the "just CONSIDER this one" lol.

you and e.rose should get together and go wine tasting...

pics or ban.

CuriosityHouse said:
The exact same two kits....one refurbished from the manufacturer, one new from BestBuy....the refurbished one is 500.00 more....

Works like this: The NIKON STORE's regular price is $100 higher than BestBuy's normal everyday price, to keep BestBuy happy, since they buy a lot of cameras and lenses from Nikon.

BestBuy has a $480 temporary price reduction on the same kit. JUNE is Father's Day, and the start of the kickoff to summer vacations, as well as high school and college graduation time: JUNE is one of the BIGGEST camera sales periods of the year in the USA. best Buy wants to SELL chit; dicounts are what sells chit these days!!! Buyers today look for "deals".

AS to the Nikon Store (website direct buying): Nikon sells MOST ALL of its cameras to its dealers; retail chains, like BestBuy are mega-customers of Nikon. And rather than cut theiur dealers off at the knees, Nikon deliberately charges a bit more than what BestBuy does, becasue for every direct sales camera Nikon sells, I am gonna bet that they sell literally 1,000 more units to their DEALERS across the world. Wholesale sales to dealers is what butters Nikon's bread...you do not go around and "lowball" the people who place 10,000-camera and 8,000-flash and 25,000 unit lens orders from you every week...no...you say, okay, we'll sell direct to the peoppe stuoid enough not to look for the BestBuy/B&H/Adorama/Samy's/WalMart prices, so you guys will still get the lion's share AND the lioness's share of the kill, and we'll take the scraps.

BEST BUY is offering the $480 price cut..and is gonna sell a LOT of those kits....which they buy from Nikon...and BestBuy spends its millions of dollars on advertising and circulars and employees and huge freaking stores that cost $500 a dy to air-condition....and Nikon sells BestBuy every single pice of Nikon gear, by the railroad car load.

You are now enlightened as to why pricing seems so odd at times. The $1699 kit has a huge, red $489 price reduction!!!!!! tag. That gets people to BUY!

"Look honey, it's almost five hundred dollars off!"

"Okay sweetums, you can buy it, 'cause thats a good deal."

"Mmmm, love you pookie...[smooch,smooch]...I'll be back in two hours with the new camera."

Works like this: The NIKON STORE's regular price is $100 higher than BestBuy's normal everyday price, to keep BestBuy happy, since they buy a lot of cameras and lenses from Nikon.

BestBuy has a $480 temporary price reduction on the same kit. JUNE is Father's Day, and the start of the kickoff to summer vacations, as well as high school and college graduation time: JUNE is one of the BIGGEST camera sales periods of the year in the USA. best Buy wants to SELL chit; dicounts are what sells chit these days!!! Buyers today look for "deals".

AS to the Nikon Store (website direct buying): Nikon sells MOST ALL of its cameras to its dealers; retail chains, like BestBuy are mega-customers of Nikon. And rather than cut theiur dealers off at the knees, Nikon deliberately charges a bit more than what BestBuy does, becasue for every direct sales camera Nikon sells, I am gonna bet that they sell literally 1,000 more units to their DEALERS across the world. Wholesale sales to dealers is what butters Nikon's bread...you do not go around and "lowball" the people who place 10,000-camera and 8,000-flash and 25,000 unit lens orders from you every week...no...you say, okay, we'll sell direct to the peoppe stuoid enough not to look for the BestBuy/B&H/Adorama/Samy's/WalMart prices, so you guys will still get the lion's share AND the lioness's share of the kill, and we'll take the scraps.

BEST BUY is offering the $480 price cut..and is gonna sell a LOT of those kits....which they buy from Nikon...and BestBuy spends its millions of dollars on advertising and circulars and employees and huge freaking stores that cost $500 a dy to air-condition....and Nikon sells BestBuy every single pice of Nikon gear, by the railroad car load.

You are now enlightened as to why pricing seems so odd at times. The $1699 kit has a huge, red $489 price reduction!!!!!! tag. That gets people to BUY!

"Mmmm, love you pookie...[smooch,smooch]...I'll be back in two hours with the new camera."

And the chart here is located.. um, where exactly?

Lol - ok, sorry,I'll stop "helping".

I haven't noticed any substantial price differences from new to refurbished. In fact, often times a refurbished unit from the manufacturer is more expensive than a new unit from somewhere like Amazon, BestBuy etc... the Nikon D7100 is a perfect example. 2,100 for a refurbished kit with 2 lenses. The same kit new from Best Buy is 1,649.00 Which ones are you looking at that offer substantial discounts?

Canon has a 5dmkiii for 2800 amazon lists for 3400. Nikon has a d800 listed for 2400 (maybe it was 2500) amazon retails for 3000 I believe.

Weird how that works...maybe its due to them being full frame, more room for discounts? Or maybe its just that the camera gods know what I'm looking at (70D Canon and D7100 Nikon) and are cursing me with no deals. :)

Those are some nice discounts on the full frames.

There are good refurbished prices all the time for the D7100. Check the link below. $799 is a pretty good price. If I hadn't just bought the Tamron 24-70 it would be mine.

Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera Body Black Refurbished by Nikon U s A 1513 B 017856441659 | eBay

EDIT: And please buy it before I do. I can't stop almost hitting the *Buy Now* button. My wife will kill me... This is where I start trying to figure out what my punishment would be.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
CuriosityHouse said:
The exact same two kits....one refurbished from the manufacturer, one new from BestBuy....the refurbished one is 500.00 more....

I didn't need an explanation on why manufacturers price to consumers higher than retail stores do. That's common knowledge. I apparently got taken in by a couple of trolls...

I originally was simply responding to the OP when she said she saw huge deals on refurbished from manufacturer as opposed to new prices. I didn't see it in the cameras I was looking at and gave examples. Which brought out the trolls. That is all.

I originally was simply responding to the OP when she said she saw huge deals on refurbished from manufacturer as opposed to new prices. I didn't see it in the cameras I was looking at and gave examples. Which brought out the trolls. That is all.

Or it could just be a lack of a sense of humor on your part. You know, something you might want to consider before you start calling people names.

Last edited:
CuriosityHouse said:

I was really hoping to see at least one 'sugar plum' reference, or maybe 'daddy'. :)

Can I buy this camera Daddy? Yes, sugar plum.

JacaRanda said:
I was really hoping to see at least one 'sugar plum' reference, or maybe 'daddy'. :)

Can I buy this camera Daddy? Yes, sugar plum.

Consider this a written warning from Officer D-sizzle...a warning against excessive cuteness issued to JacaRanda! $Derrel_JacaRanda_officer warning.JPG

Officer Notes: Issued warning against excessive sweet-talking and over-use of outdated terms of endearment. Citizen was confused, thought issuing officer meant never to watch the awful movie "Terms of Endearment" due to horrible Nicholson/Winger/McClain cast. Set subject free on own recognisance with stern verbal warning and an admonishment to update sweet talk to reflect the 21st century."

Most reactions

Back